Quantcast

New Forums Homepage?

Would you like to have the new view as default?

• Yes

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • I eat paste

Votes: 12 31.6%

• Total voters

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I've been considering changing the forums homepage for some time now. I think it's too long and complicated, with a lot of useless information. Post/thread counts for every forum are pretty pointless, and having to go to 4-5 different forums to read the active threads is a nuisance.

So, in an effort to slim the page down, and make it more useful I've come up with this: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/forumhome.php

For those of you who use the "New Posts" page a lot this won't really be anything new, but I think people will like it. Note: there is a link at the bottom to switch to the old view if that's your preference.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Also note, I'm considering moving the Lounge down to an "Off-Topic" section with Politics and Tech. I want to get this site back to mountain biking and away from "Loco sucks".

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Doesn't matter to me. I'm just killing work time. Might be a good idea in an effort not to startle n00bs with Lounge antics right away.

Wasn't there a movie in the 70's where they locked up the retarded brother in the woodwork of the house so no one would see him?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ridemonkey said:
Also note, I'm considering moving the Lounge down to an "Off-Topic" section with Politics and Tech. I want to get this site back to mountain biking and away from "Loco sucks".
Good idea.

I like the layout, perhaps keep the B&S threads out of the most recently active threads? If it was possible to set that up to be personalized for each user (eg, choose which forums to display threads from) that would be excellent.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have the forums marked as a fav. so I go there right away anyhow, but that's a good idea, takes you right to the core of things. Also mabye move the tech-talk and mech. Q&A into the bike section, and Beer and Food out. Just to keep it all organized.

J

JRB

I would vote for the lounge to move. Would peeps quit bitching about us using it for what it was intended for, which is posting crap???

I'm not sure how this all became about me. First it was stosh with the ratings thing, then it was me. I know someone will call me an attention whore, but without people starting threads, stupid or not, this place would be crickets.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
RM - I personally see no benefit to this as I only view a small handful of the forums. Seeing active threads from the DH forum is just clutter to me.

But I assume that I could click the link at the bottom and bookmark that URL, correct... as a way to "bypass" the new format?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Ridemonkey said:
I think that's a great idea. Pair that with a few more Shop forums (suspension, drivetrain, wheels/tires, etc.) and things would clean up nicely, I think.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
This site is about mountain-biking?

If I recall.....Ridemonkey has has all sorts of configurations over time---I've liked all of them. You could even call it "PinkBike" and I would still visit.

I like bikes. I like strange people. Perfect fit so far. :cool:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I use the Get New Posts link as a homepage for RM, so I never go to the main page.

So I took the paste vote.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Tenchiro said:
I use the Get New Posts link as a homepage for RM, so I never go to the main page.

So I took the paste vote.

Hmm.

Consider yourself just like H8R!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Transcend said:
Absolutely not. I much prefer the all forums view.
Does everyone know that you can colapse the sections you never look at and it stays that way?

:cool:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Personally, I'd never use it. I don't just post in any "active" threads - I'm usually specifically looking in certain forums.

Just MHO.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
stinkyboy said:
Wasn't there a movie in the 70's where they locked up the retarded brother in the woodwork of the house so no one would see him?
Oh ****, i remember that. The family died off or moved away or something. A new family moved only to be terrorized by a crazy dude living behind the walls.

The new format's okay. I always click on new posts whenever I visit, anyway.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
binary visions said:
Personally, I'd never use it. I don't just post in any "active" threads - I'm usually specifically looking in certain forums.

Just MHO.
Well you can still do that, thus the list of forums on the left. All I've done is eliminate the info you don't need (post/thread counts, and last post info), and replaced it with information you can use.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Whats up with the new formatting - the titles of threads in "New Posts" view is all smushed in a small column now.

edit: It went away for a second and its back, WTF is with the formatting?

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Whats up with the new formatting - the titles of threads in "New Posts" view is all smushed in a small column now.

edit: It went away for a second and its back, WTF is with the formatting?
It's intentional and permanent :rolleyes:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ridemonkey said:
It's intentional and permanent :rolleyes:
Ok...but.

The thread title column is skinny, and the poster name column is twice as wide as it needs to be. (on my machine anyway...)

I'm just saying.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I like the old view. I'm actually sad enough to have it set as my homepage, so as long as the old view is still an option that I can set to home, the default don't really matter to me. I don't think i've seen the front page to RM in like 6 mos...... the forum page is where I always start

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i say lose the "most recently active threads" monstrosity. that looks horrible, in my opinion.

what would be cool is if we could view whatever forums' new posts that we wanted. so like, instead of seeing all the most recently active threads, i could just see the lounge's, DH forum's, roadie's, and the tech forum's most recently active threads.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
the Inbred said:
i say lose the "most recently active threads" monstrosity. that looks horrible, in my opinion.

what would be cool is if we could view whatever forums' new posts that we wanted. so like, instead of seeing all the most recently active threads, i could just see the lounge's, DH forum's, roadie's, and the tech forum's most recently active threads.
Uh, click on the forum you want to see the most recently active threads in and voila...that's just viewing the forum, that's nothing new.

This is meant to be a useful amalgam of all the most recent threads.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i mean, i don't care about 75% of the forums here, so why would i care to see their new posts clutter up the page?

i wouldn't find it useful. i would find it to add clutter.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't really get you guys who say there's clutter...there's far less text on the page, and it's half as long, how can it be more cluttered?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ridemonkey said:
I don't really get you guys who say there's clutter...there's far less text on the page, and it's half as long, how can it be more cluttered?
I find the new template idea incredibly clutterred. Too much stuff, not enough organization. I much prefer seeing all the forums along with the last post in each one nice and clear and concise.

Most of us here only go to 2/3 forums anyways, seeing latest posts from all of them is just confusing things further. If anything, I say get rid of some of the forums. Some of them barely see any traffic at all as it is.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Transcend said:
I find the new template idea incredibly clutterred. Too much stuff, not enough organization. I much prefer seeing all the forums along with the last post in each one nice and clear and concise.

Most of us here only go to 2/3 forums anyways, seeing latest posts from all of them is just confusing things further. If anything, I say get rid of some of the forums. Some of them barely see any traffic at all as it is.
I'm with you on that. I don't like the view similar threads thingy at the bottom of the page either.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
the Inbred said:
i mean, i don't care about 75% of the forums here, so why would i care to see their new posts clutter up the page?

i wouldn't find it useful. i would find it to add clutter.

I like the recent thread dealie. It has lead me to some neato threads I may not have found.