Quantcast

New Fox DH coil shock

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
How much preload does this procedure accomplish?
I've had to do that before to get a spring on and off, and it didn't actually preload the spring. Once the perch was in place, the spring was loose. Its just the getting the clip thing on and off on an angle that requires the spring compressed out of the way.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
To get it on and off, I used two Knipex adjustable wrenches to compress the spring and then ask someone else to push on the spring retainer.
buckoW speaks the truth, this is the way to git 'er done if you don't have access to a spring compressor. Most moto spring compressors are way too big and I've yet to see an actual mtb specific one so double-Knipex that sucker.

How much preload does this procedure accomplish?
Enough!

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
IMG_5433.JPG
Why in the FUCK can't everybody make a standard ID, OD, and length for the goddam springs at a give size/weight? I had a 7.875 x 2.25 spring that fit fine on an old Fox Van-R but was a giant PITA to get on both an X-Fusion and Cane Creek. FOR THE LOVE OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER CAN WE GET SOME STANDARDS?

Oh, wait. :tinfoil::tinfoil::shakefist::thumbsdown:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
buckoW speaks the truth, this is the way to git 'er done if you don't have access to a spring compressor. Most moto spring compressors are way too big and I've yet to see an actual mtb specific one so double-Knipex that sucker.

Enough!
I remember riding in the 2000s too.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Why not use zip ties to compress the spring. Use many and work your way around.

On another topic, I wonder if it is possible to use the linkage design program to find out which spring rate will fit? The online calculators I found where complete rubbish unless your bike has a constant leverage ratio...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Were 2000s about using oversized springs? Apparently I discovered bikes too late.
In '96 I had a bike called an Avanti Moto which got 6" of travel out of a 1.5" (I think), RS Deluxe. All ~70kg of teenage toodles required a 1000lb/inch Mountain Speed spring to achieve proper sag. Getting springs on and off turned into an art form. Luckily getting them off was easy, as the spring retainers would snap pretty regularly until I had a thicker one made up out of steel. Of course I could have put the bike into the more manageable 5" or 4" modes but when you're a kid moar travel = moar bettererer.