Quantcast

New Fox DH coil shock

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Where do you buy Ti Fox springs aftermarket? I can never find anything reliable.

As an aside, how much does (did) it weigh? FWIW, my steel fox spring (400 x 3.25) was a hefty 586g. The whole shock is a touch over a kilo, looking to shed some weight in the future.
I think I bought it from PB, had it a few years. I think it's ~400g.

I sent a request for service to Fox with the video, they sent me a 2nd day air shipping label for under warranty evaluation. All their shocks are serviced in CA, mine is en route now, I'll let you know what their conclusion is.
Hmm, maybe I should go that route with my stuck rebound adjusters. I haven't been able to separate them...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Got my shock back from Fox today. That was a really quick turn around. 9 days from shipping it out.

I wish the springs were cheaper. I think I eventually need to move from the 525 to the 550, cause my fatz and stuff!

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
And the brand new one they just sent me is $#@*ed up too.. about half a ride ride is all i got.. the climb switch and all adjustments don't do anything, the damper is not functioning..

i can't believe two in a row on this! I've emailed fox already, but still wth!?

205lbs
525 sls spring
17/20mm of sag measured a few times.
2018 intense tracer, supposed to have a progressive frame!?

I could probably easily go with the 550 spring, but that shouldn't be what's causing issues, can it?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've used Fox service for years (rebuilds) and they'd previously always delivered a good experience. However this year I've had two products come back from service with issues and have had to send them back.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
And the brand new one they just sent me is $#@*ed up too.. about half a ride ride is all i got.. the climb switch and all adjustments don't do anything, the damper is not functioning..

i can't believe two in a row on this! I've emailed fox already, but still wth!?

205lbs
525 sls spring
17/20mm of sag measured a few times.
2018 intense tracer, supposed to have a progressive frame!?

I could probably easily go with the 550 spring, but that shouldn't be what's causing issues, can it?
Ok admittedly I'm not a shock expert, and certainly not with the DH2X ... but what if .... you were to .....

try it nao?

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Fox said that second shock they sent me was defective from manufacturing. They fixed it and sent it out today with a black 550# spring to try. Gotta say, they have been great and fast about the warrantys at least..

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fox said that second shock they sent me was defective from manufacturing. They fixed it and sent it out today with a black 550# spring to try. Gotta say, they have been great and fast about the warrantys at least..
They aren't having Cane Creek make their shocks these days are they?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Honest question. Is the 11-6 worth it to bypass all this bullshit or is it fuckery too?
I have a DHX2 and a Float X2. The X2 only had an issue after I sent it in for the recall, the DHX2 has been fine since day 1. I had an 11-6; it was the most "glued to the ground" shock I've ever run, but I wasn't able to setup it up to be as lively as I prefer (they have an upgrade for that now).

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I've had my share of shock issues. Front and rear. Rock shox, CC and Fox (even Marz back in the day). I'm glad Dirt Labs opened up. But now they're like 45min away. Push is like 15min. I'm going with Fox/Push for all my suspension going forward. Done with the fuckery.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Question:
Since small shaft RC4s are hard to find these days, how good of a performer is the Marzocchi Moto? I am in the market for a good and durable coilshock (9,5x3"). I didn't want to open a new thread for this.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Question:
Since small shaft RC4s are hard to find these days, how good of a performer is the Marzocchi Moto? I am in the market for a good and durable coilshock (9,5x3"). I didn't want to open a new thread for this.
I rode it briefly (installed a Moto C2R on a friend's bike) and it seemed decent to me, however I didn't try it enough to say for sure. They are very light which is cool but not sure if that has impact on durability.

buckoW on here also tried it and I think his opinion wasn't the most positive so you could get in touch with him for more details. I think the dislikes were to do with the rebound curve and adjustability, which I recall Marz was never the best at, but it might also be fine in your frame for your riding. As you probably know they pop up very cheap on ebay, not an expensive gamble.

buckoW rates the Ohlins coil shock highly (TTX22m) and also still likes/swaps in his small-shaft RC4, from what I gather these are the two shocks he likes most. One is obviously very expensive.

It's really not hard to find a 9.5x3" Kash small-shaft RC4 though, I literally have one spare sitting on my desk right now. Check out PB buysell and ebay (plenty of US / UK sellers ship intl). With a little effort/patience you should definitely still be able to find one, and for cost : performance : durability ratio you will not find a better shock.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If the shock has the "Air Assist" markings that means it's the small shaft version, correct? This one looks decent if you are willing to go used: https://bikemarkt.mtb-news.de/article/1026992-fox-racing-shox-dhx-rc4-kashima
That's the one!
Air Assist markings on BO adjuster as you say, and also void of "boost valve" logo on the reservoir sticker.
They'll generally have the cream 5pc hardware too, present on this example.

I always advise asking the seller for shaft diameter if unsure (12.7mm / 15.875mm), but this one is definitely correct.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Defective from manufacturing..... aren't they the manufacturer? Seems like a well thought out excuse. I'd like to think they'd test them before boxing them up, or at the very least test replacements for people who have already had a bad one come through. :brow:

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I
Defective from manufacturing..... aren't they the manufacturer? Seems like a well thought out excuse. I'd like to think they'd test them before boxing them up, or at the very least test replacements for people who have already had a bad one come through. :brow:
I thought and expected the same thing..

Also, the black spring the sent me is 550x2.80, the orange sls spring I already have is a 500x2.75. I can not get that black spring to compress enough to even get it on.. I've tried multiple times, and can not get the holding ring to slip under it..
Not impressed!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
Also, the black spring the sent me is 550x2.80, the orange sls spring I already have is a 500x2.75. I can not get that black spring to compress enough to even get it on.. I've tried multiple times, and can not get the holding ring to slip under it..
Not impressed!
Why in the FUCK can't everybody make a standard ID, OD, and length for the goddam springs at a give size/weight? I had a 7.875 x 2.25 spring that fit fine on an old Fox Van-R but was a giant PITA to get on both an X-Fusion and Cane Creek. FOR THE LOVE OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER CAN WE GET SOME STANDARDS?

Oh, wait. :tinfoil::tinfoil::shakefist::thumbsdown:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I

I thought and expected the same thing..

Not impressed!
I've used those too long black 550 springs and they are a pain. To get it on and off, I used two Knipex adjustable wrenches to compress the spring and then ask someone else to push on the spring retainer.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've used those too long black 550 springs and they are a pain. To get it on and off, I used two Knipex adjustable wrenches to compress the spring and then ask someone else to push on the spring retainer.
How much preload does this procedure accomplish?

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I had the same problem trying to use the 600 by 2.8 fox spring. I was worried I would preload it too much "squishing" it on, so I never tried that and I ended up using the 600 pound rock shox spring. Its about 1/2" shorter than the fox. (also bigger ID, but have used it for a year without problems)
fox600.jpg

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've had a similar issue with some Ohlins springs. I put a couple of millimeters of the edges of the spring in a bench vice and compressed it until I could slip the retainer ring in.