Quantcast

New Fox forks

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
There's been enough spy shots around of the 38 now to assume its being released soon, and I've seen them in the wild now too. No idea when its being released but they're looking finalized.

Over on Vital there is some talk that the new Fox 49er fork is being released at the same time and it is perhaps going to 38mm stanchions?

49.jpg

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I assume these were slated for a Sea Otter release, but the Otter has been quarantined, so who knows?

I'm not sure I see a point to a 38mm stanchioned dual crown fork, unless they're shooting for the lucrative not-quite DH, but definitely more than a trail/enduro 7" travel e-bike and park bike market, they'd sell at least dozens of those. Gimme some 49mm stanchions on the 49, shit would be stout!

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Kill off the 36 and the 40. Replace with a single 38mm chassis able to be run single crown or double crown. Fewer lowers to manufacture and likely more crossover in parts. It's all new new so the fanbois will have to have it.

Next year kill of the 34 and make it a 35. Because well...they need something new new for the fanbois.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
anyone got cad or something? I have an idea to get the pics of the proto 40 and make some fake measurements using some parts of the fork as reference to 'prove' the new legs are 36. lots of effort just for mtb trolling tho!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That theory would almost make sense if the two forks already photographed in this thread didn't clearly have different lowers.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm not sure I see a point to a 38mm stanchioned dual crown fork, unless they're shooting for the lucrative not-quite DH
Well 35mm stanchions didn't seem to hold back anyone winning WCs last year so maybe the 38mm chassis is either more compliant or actually stiffer somehow?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
mainstream dc trailbike forks feel kinda / sorta inevitable - driven (alas) to a large degree by ebikes, methinks.
I disagree.

I say that 170mm SC forks with 2" steerers and giant crowns that still creak are stupid. Crowns creak because these things see massive loads at the crown steerer intersection and the fork bends backwards under hits because it'll never be as stiff as a DC fork. When we get to thees long-travel amounts, especially on 29er forks, they should really be DC forks, not some band-aid SC fork so you can still do x-ups and wear your half-shell. I'm not asking for a DH-heavy fork, but for serious AM/enduro type stuff, these really should be DC forks IME.

Is there a long-travel fork that doesn't creak after a season of hard use?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this. (would make the most sense).
not gonna happen. the 40 platform isn't going anywhere. while they may offer a dual crown 38, it will never replace the 40 as their dh race fork. way back when fox was messing around with the inverted 40, that never made it past the testing phase because the torsional stiffness was way less than the 40.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Well 35mm stanchions didn't seem to hold back anyone winning WCs last year so maybe the 38mm chassis is either more compliant or actually stiffer somehow?
Are DH racers clamoring for noodlier forks? With wheels getting bigger forks are getting floppier, that's why I see a theoretical 38mm DC as a "park" or e-bike fork like the Bartlet not a replacement for the 40. I'm most definitely talking out of my ass here, but the Industry is known for doing dumb shit, so a "baby" 38mm DH fork and a 36mm baby trail fork that only come with Grip dampers while the bigger 40mm and 38mm forks get the good ones seems plausible.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Are DH racers clamoring for noodlier forks? With wheels getting bigger forks are getting floppier, that's why I see a theoretical 38mm DC as a "park" or e-bike fork like the Bartlet not a replacement for the 40. I'm most definitely talking out of my ass here, but the Industry is known for doing dumb shit, so a "baby" 38mm DH fork and a 36mm baby trail fork that only come with Grip dampers while the bigger 40mm and 38mm forks get the good ones seems plausible.
Maybe carbon rims are so stiff that they are transferring that force to the fork. if the fork is too stiff, I could easily see it failing. and I have to assume, fork companies don't want pictures of failed forks floating around (for fantastically fat fuckers to faff wif) ...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Neko & Luca Shaw appear to be on the new 49's @ windrock based on shots from vital pit bits.

stanchions still seem to be 40mm? lowers just look beefed up. also, drop crown on top but only seems to be on Luca's bike, no Neko's.

1583510299959.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Maybe carbon rims are so stiff that they are transferring that force to the fork. if the fork is too stiff, I could easily see it failing. and I have to assume, fork companies don't want pictures of failed forks floating around (for fantastically fat fuckers to faff wif) ...
I sure as hell hope my wheels are transferring the bumps to my fork...

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Maybe fox needs to fuck off and realize that what they have works. Ever think of that? Huh? Huh?

Didya?
Remember when they replaced the RC4 with the X2? Or brought out Grip dampers? Or float spring air forks to replace coils?

This is a company that takes one good long hard look at what they've got, what is working and what isn't, and then sniffs some glue and hit the drawing board.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Remember when they replaced the RC4 with the X2? Or brought out Grip dampers? Or float spring air forks to replace coils?

This is a company that takes one good long hard look at what they've got, what is working and what isn't, and then sniffs some glue and hit the drawing board.
Was gonna say that.... But meth instead of glue.
But in reality I think it goes like this
"hey what can we do to reduce cost but fool people into thinking the changes were beneficial"

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I rode a Manitou Sherman Slider dual-crown as an all-round fork for a long time on my RFX. Originally I had a Dorado singlecrown, but the Slider was 1" more travel at pretty much the same weight and a-c height.

Now, who remembers Hannebrink?! Or the Bombshell forks...

(Stolen from earlier RM post by ChrisRobin...god I wanted a set of these in like 1999:)

1583594031432.png

I had a Stratos DC once, too.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I only remember my absolutely sucking Foes F1 The wet one, which every other ride wetted my Formula brake and rotor with oil coz the stupid seals popped out again.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
At 6" of travel and that weight, that didn't exist anywhere else. It was a little twisty like all inverted forks but I thought it worked well for what it was.
I customized the negative spring, added an IFP to the damper, and changed the shim stack. After all that mine was awesome compared to the period trail bike forks. Then I put a taller bottom out bumper in to limit travel to 145mm and ran it with a 650b front wheel the first year those were available.

Last edited: