New Fox forks

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ooh kettle calls pot black!

I told you. I'm as much of a hobbit as you are a ginger.

fucking angry redheads. I guess it's true
My son's a ginger tho. You can't even get your insults straight, too much pipeweed I guess.

PS he turned 5 last month and is now riding without training wheels.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I rode a Manitou Sherman Slider dual-crown as an all-round fork for a long time on my RFX. Originally I had a Dorado singlecrown, but the Slider was 1" more travel at pretty much the same weight and a-c height.

Now, who remembers Hannebrink?! Or the Bombshell forks...

(Stolen from earlier RM post by ChrisRobin...god I wanted a set of these in like 1999:)

View attachment 141705

I had a Stratos DC once, too.
That thing was horrible. If it was greased up, it would work sorta. But rain is bad for it... made it seize up!!

I had an S7. That was "okay" except for the silly bolt on arch that would end up cracking. I don't remember if it was the S7 or S8 that had the dual springs in each leg with different spring rates.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I think this Fox 38 will be good. I'd pick one up one day....maybe next year. I still like my 36.

Marzocchi had their 66 with 38mm tubes as well that shared 888 lowers. If I had a 275 trail/enduro bike, I'd be looking for one.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That thing was horrible. If it was greased up, it would work sorta. But rain is bad for it... made it seize up!!

I had an S7. That was "okay" except for the silly bolt on arch that would end up cracking. I don't remember if it was the S7 or S8 that had the dual springs in each leg with different spring rates.
I had an MX6...amazing that it was possible to make a flexy DC fork with 35mm stanchions. That's what you get when you don't actually CNC the lowers and use clamps for everything. That said, my S8 Ultra was pretty good until the piston glide ring broke, then it was never-ending "meh".

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Marzocchi had their 66 with 38mm tubes as well that shared 888 lowers. If I had a 275 trail/enduro bike, I'd be looking for one.
i had a 66 coil on my sx trail. for some reason they thought it was a good idea to make a coil shock with air preload (at least the version i had). if you had anything more than like half a psi in there it was just way to stiff. aside from that it was a nice fork.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Uuuh, that "air assist" crap! A fried had a 55 with that brainfart system. As you said, you could pretty much lock the fork up just by blowing some air in the spring leg. And on top of that, to adjust the progressivity you had to add over 200ml of oil to it...

Back on topic, anyone else felt Fox pulled a Yeti move with the new shocks' press release? (at least the one featured on PB). They acknowledged the previous generations of the X2 and DHX2 had a shitton of issues, and their answer is "buy the newer, flashier, moar expensivier versions!". Just like Yeti did when they admitted the first generation Switch was crap, and used it as an argument to market the switch Infinity.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Back on topic, anyone else felt Fox pulled a Yeti move with the new shocks' press release? (at least the one featured on PB). They acknowledged the previous generations of the X2 and DHX2 had a shitton of issues, and their answer is "buy the newer, flashier, moar expensivier versions!". Just like Yeti did when they admitted the first generation Switch was crap, and used it as an argument to market the switch Infinity.
I just re-read their release about how they installed compression/rebound shimstacks on the main piston. You can send your old DHX2/X2 to Avalanche they'll do the same thing and use your adjusters for only fine-tuning.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It’s 2020 and manufacturers are still making forks that have creaky steerers? How do you people put up with that shit?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
laughinglizard.gif
Last fox fork I had was a 2002 vanilla 125mm. Creaked like mad. Creaking accompanied braking where it flexed pretty good too. Got rid of it. The sherman that replaced it had none of those issues. Thought they would have had that problem fix 16 years later. Definitely a non-starter for me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Last fox fork I had was a 2002 vanilla 125mm. Creaked like mad. Creaking accompanied braking where it flexed pretty good too. Got rid of it. The sherman that replaced it had none of those issues. Thought they would have had that problem fix 16 years later. Definitely a non-starter for me.
there's so much funny and wrong about this.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Lucky me, I just placed an order for a 2020 36... should I cancel it and order this newest and most bestest version instead? My hack riding skills will likely not notice the difference but *newer and shinier*

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Lucky me, I just placed an order for a 2020 36... should I cancel it and order this newest and most bestest version instead? My hack riding skills will likely not notice the difference but *newer and shinier*
I'd cancel the order and get a good as new 36 from the pinkbike classifieds when all the Joeys have started swapping theirs for the 38 that they now cannot live without.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm not a 36 fan, but i'd bang the 38 on for sure. You might wanna wait a few weeks and check out the 38mm Totem as well once RS releases it.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
yeaah.... we will see about that...
View attachment 143354
Yeah, my thoughts too...

The shape of the arch on the fork has a very "simple" design, very far from what would be achieved with the help of topology optimisation. But maybe topology optimised shapes don't go well with casting...

I try not to be too grumpy and let somebody else guinea pig all these awesome new products! ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
yeaah.... we will see about that...
View attachment 143354
Rebound now on main piston: Just fox realizing what a dipshit system they had previously with it being on poppet valves. Fucking 2020 and they were still making crap that no one would stand for in motorsports. They probably did realize it...they just didn't care.