Quantcast

New Fox forks

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Rebound now on main piston: Just fox realizing what a dipshit system they had previously with it being on poppet valves. Fucking 2020 and they were still making crap that no one would stand for in motorsports. They probably did realize it...they just didn't care.
The PB piece stated the high speed rebound sits on the main piston, with the slow one on the shock's body. They are apparently changing the spring rate on the shims preload, as they do on the GRIP2 cart. The slow speed one should be a needle or a poppet valve IMHO.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The PB piece stated the high speed rebound sits on the main piston, with the slow one on the shock's body. They are apparently changing the spring rate on the shims preload, as they do on the GRIP2 cart. The slow speed one should be a needle or a poppet valve IMHO.
Yeah, the low speed should be, but the high speed needs the moar shimz.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
The vvc system is in effect a variable size clamp shim and does not add preload to the stack only rate.

The low speed is deffo a needle.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
How easy are those to work with? Do you need any tools to swap spring?
It's a pretty standard system, Push has used a similar system on the ElevenSix, and that is the standard spring collar mount on racecar shocks. No tools are needed, just make sure that ring is fully seated before you put load on the spring.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

Dan explains the new shock pretty well here.

The new main piston design gives way more options for shim stack tuning over the old design. The dished piston and the poppet valves on the old shock didn’t leave much room to tune. There’s a lot moar room to put moar shims in the new shock.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Dan explains the new shock pretty well here.

The new main piston design gives way more options for shim stack tuning over the old design. The dished piston and the poppet valves on the old shock didn’t leave much room to tune. There’s a lot moar room to put moar shims in the new shock.

So basically they were retarded when they designed the old shock?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
yeaah.... we will see about that...
You think it will cause a problem?
I've seen the same system used on moto shocks without issue, and Fox used it on their old Vanilla DH remote shock too.
So basically they were retarded when they designed the old shock?
They hired the design engineer from Cane Creek who brought over the DB design which became the X2, with minimal changes. Not even remotely a "Fox" design, and technically not a CC design either. Fox have definitely done better in the past and I hope they'll do better in future. From the riders I've spoken to so far the new shock is pretty good!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You think it will cause a problem?
I've seen the same system used on moto shocks without issue, and Fox used it on their old Vanilla DH remote shock too from memory. Am I missing something?
heeheee

Fox vanilla DH shocks used to use that system too.

It's pretty common in applications that see way the fuck more loading than our little mountainbikes, even at karpiel leverage ratios.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They hired the design engineer from Cane Creek who brought over the DB design which became the X2, with minimal changes. Not even remotely a "Fox" design, and technically not really a CC design either. Fox have definitely done better in the past and I hope they'll do better in future too.
I assume DB stands for Douche Bag.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Hey @troy , what are you up to these days?
Finishing the enderpo Owl
Sure it works, I don't have any issues with the design (when properly implemented), although IMHO it adds unnecessary complexity for the end user and potential area for damage/scratches and failure. 1st thing I see is a dude with a screwdriver trying to pry this up and damage the groove. Previous design had less moving parts and was more foolproof (you could set the spring end improperly tho, but it wasn't that much of an issue).

Anyway, fox and c-clip grooves brings back some memories :D
1586606643870.png

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Anyway, fox and c-clip grooves brings back some memories :D
Somewhere I still have the GoPro footage of when that happened to my RC4 during an A-Line run. Not only lost all damping immediately but the oil drenched my rear brake. Made for a very interesting 30 seconds of jumps till I managed to stop.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Somewhere I still have the GoPro footage of when that happened to my RC4 during an A-Line run. Not only lost all damping immediately but the oil drenched my rear brake. Made for a very interesting 30 seconds of jumps till I managed to stop.
Well now you can solve that with a Push 11-6 with spherical bushings for only $1500 or whatever it costs now.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
did you start making it to the landings at that point?
I'll be honest. I fucken hate park jump lines. About 10 years ago I was confidently hitting backside of the jumps on A-Line, D Merchant and Crabapple. When I went back in 2018 I did one run down the jump lines, cased everything and went back to the relative safety (and less crowds) of the more natural trails. Then I decided I'd post on RM with the other cooked old fuckers.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I'll be honest. I fucken hate park jump lines. About 10 years ago I was confidently hitting backside of the jumps on A-Line, D Merchant and Crabapple. When I went back in 2018 I did one run down the jump lines, cased everything and went back to the relative safety (and less crowds) of the more natural trails. Then I decided I'd post on RM with the other cooked old fuckers.
Has CrabApple always been massive? Or did it get bigger some time ago?

FWIW, I've never even looked at CrabApple with any intent.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Has CrabApple always been massive? Or did it get bigger some time ago?

FWIW, I've never even looked at CrabApple with any intent.
It's massive compared to 10 years ago. Not that I've ever been able to clear any jump line anywhere.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
It's annoying that a bunch of trails lead to lower A-line. Maybe because I can't jump but I'm much happier riding the techy trails. Either way, I don't think there's gonna be a Whistler 2020 season.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I like both, maybe 50/50. Jump lines get super boring after a while IMO. Pounding down tech is fun, but it's damn tiring too. If I'm so tired I have to stop every 200 feet, it starts becoming a lot less fun, but a lot of that has to do with fitness too and fatties trying to ride stuff way above their head. We built new trails two seasons ago and my fav is the one with the tech-chutes and off-camber tech, 2nd fav is a jump-line called Eh-Line that transitions into a tech trail at the bottom, so best of both worlds. The other jump lines I hate are the ones where it's nearly impossible to get enough speed for the feature, those really screw you up as you start to get a little tired. The flip side is when you are fresh you might crazy over-shoot them.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It's annoying that a bunch of trails lead to lower A-line. Maybe because I can't jump but I'm much happier riding the techy trails. Either way, I don't think there's gonna be a Whistler 2020 season.
That's me, much prefer the tech to the jump lines.

Wife and I were headed to Whistler, Sun Peaks and Silver Star this summer, she'd never DH'd in any of them. I've only hit Whistler a few times. Maybe next year...

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I miss whistler, summer of 07 I lived there and rode every damn day. Crabapple hits was a daily jam (so much late 2000’s here- whir 888’s, Demo7 with Emo paint job, all white deity kit, custom LV/ Co flag painted TLD helmet), the list goes on.

I’ll also take a side of 38’s please.... of course just got a new bike a month ago and it came with peasant 36’s

Attachments

Last edited: