Quantcast

New frame- DHRv223

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
OK guys...

I just sold my DH9 and i'm looking for a new frame for DH. Ideally i've decided i want a 45.5" wheelbase, no less than 66 headangle, and a weight of 11 pounds. The 4 frames that fit my criteria are the 223, Turner DHR, Commencial Supreme and the Sunday factory- but, based on my experience with the distributers, it's down to the 223 or the DHR.

From my riding experience, the 223 feels a lot harsher than it is, and it's on the longer side (46" wheelbase with 7" forks, and i'm running 8" 40s). From the parts i have, i will also need a new hub and wheelbuild+spokes (roughly $500) bringing the cost to ~$3k aud. I'm weary of spares and support declining now that the 224 is out too, and plus the noisyness is disturbing.

On the other hand, the DHR is pretty much my ideal geometry, and they feel really good. From the parts i have, the only thing i need is a headset, bringing the cost to ~$3300 AUD. From friend's experience the support is excellent, but again, the model looks like it will be superceded.

Just so you know, i have been known to plow a lot of stuff, but at the moment i really like my current bike (Yeti 4X) because it's so easy to throw around and pop off stuff- thats the feel i want to try and replicate on my DH bike, which is why the Turner seems to be a better option IMO. I'm also heavy and i ride pretty hard.

Just so you know, my spec's for either frame: 05/6 Fox 40Rs, either King or FSA Orbit headset, Thomson post, Holzfeller cranks and FSA ti bb, MRP system3, Sram X9/X0, Hadley's on DT FR 6.1's, Juicy 7s, Protapers etc... Most of it is new too...

Ideally, I want to know the exact weight of a Medium DHR and axle (I know the orange is just over 8 pounds frame and shock). Next, what does the turner have that the Orange doesn't- why should i pay more for the turner?

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
If you're going to plow through stuff, get the Orange. Its rear wheel path lets it keep momentum better over the stutters, therefore helping it keep its stability and hold its line. The DHR likes to catch more air and skip off the ground, which is good for some things, but not for plowing. If you're confident you can adapt your 4X style to DH and get a little more "flow-ey" with your lines, shoot for the DHR. Just sorta the old high pivot vs. low pivot debate. But if you're looking at the DHR, I'd also suggest a look at the El Cuervo.

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
i think id get the orange. really no matter how you build them they will be lighter than most bikes. i cant wait. i'm buying a used 222 that weighs like 38 lbs. thats like 6.5 lbs lighter than my sgs

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
i run a turner with a similar setup to what you describe and i love it to bits, fox dhx does wonders for the frame, i tend to go through things rather than over too, as bomberboy says the dhr shouldn't keep its speed to well but i find it does, why i dont know but it certainly rolls just as wel as my previous dh bikes.

do you run flats or spds? if your a flats rider your probably better off with the turner too, 223s tend to make it hard to keep your feet in place.

i dont think a 223 weighs 8lbs does it? was pretty sure they're just under 10.
my large with ti spring dhr is about 10.5

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
konahucker43 said:
i think id get the orange. really no matter how you build them they will be lighter than most bikes. i cant wait. i'm buying a used 222 that weighs like 38 lbs. thats like 6.5 lbs lighter than my sgs
Kurt that will be one very different ride from your SGS. Is just because of the weight or because you want the ride characteristics of the 222?

Daver said:
I'm weary of spares and support declining now that the 224 is out too, and plus the noisyness is disturbing.

Weary of support and spares for the 223? Well, couple of things.. there's nothing on a 223 to replace! Front triangle, swingarm, bearings, two bolts and caps.. OH maybe the shock shuttle.. but that's nothing you couldn't get made elsewhere.

If you killed the swingarm or front triangle to a point of no repair, you'de need a new frame anyway.

Secondly, don't worry about support. Orange are top guys. I killed an old 98 patriot swingarm bearing mount (Frame was 2nd hand). They hooked me up with a cheap repair, full respray and new stickers. Really fast too.

Saying all of that, i hate the way they ride. And pedal. I don't appriciate being kicked off my pedals when i want to put some power down. The Turner doesn't do this, so i'de reccomend that.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Daver said:
On the other hand, the DHR is pretty much my ideal geometry, and they feel really good. From the parts i have, the only thing i need is a headset, bringing the cost to ~$3300 AUD. From friend's experience the support is excellent, but again, the model looks like it will be superceded.
Sounds to me like you already know what you want. I don't think Turner will be going away from the DHR anytime soon.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Daver buy the DHR dude. Bill @ DHDirect has support second to none in Australia and now the frames come with a DHX there's no servicing issues. Do it.... Do it....

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Next years DHR will be the same, maybe just with round tubing which i don't really like the look of.

Lets be honest here dave, you have owned an orange 222 already, a yeti lawill, you built up your sunday and the bearings and linkages where all ****ed and the shock scrubbed the frame, you had a cove peeler (cracked?), santa cruz bullit (cracked?) plus many more i may have missed. You change your bikes more then i change my undies.

Cut the crap and buy a Turner DHR. Its obvious you are trying to own as many differant bikes in your life time as you can, why go back to an orange, you just know in your heart of hearts that that thing is not going to last under you FBR (fat boy racing) :D

Don't be tempted by squid and BA to buy something from them. Just buy the turner from bill, you won't be disapointed.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
it seems the dhr isnt going anywere (but lighter?). ive got mine set up with a 40 and coudlnt be happier. the bike is waaaay faster than i ever will be. i really like the real low bb/slack head angle set up i have, seems to suit my riding style (or lack thereof?) very nicely.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
just switched to a sinister r9 from a dh9 (well a few of them) for 4 years and couldnt be happier. the wheel base with a slider + is 45.5 and with an 8inch travis 26.2 in the slack, progressive position. the bike actually turns like its on rails (unlike the yeti which you have to ride wayy to front heavy and steer with the rear while muscleing it around). with a medium build to yours (lighter seat, and wheels and tires, but heavier cranks, bars and stem) im at 39.5 with a few ti bolts in the frame. this mbike eats rocks for breakfast but is still very finessable. i ride smooth but mess up sometimes and the bike totally takes care of you. plus its cheaper than the other three last time i checked and the quailty is top nothc. the new 06 version that im waiting on is even sicke

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
CBJ said:
Kurt that will be one very different ride from your SGS. Is just because of the weight or because you want the ride characteristics of the 222?
well there are manythings. the sgs being a very high maintainence bike, the orange being a extremely like bike. and i have a extremely cheap deal lined up for a pretty sick bike

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
dexter said:
ps and dont listen to kevin aka whiteraven he doesnt ride dh he rides girls bikes and jumps up stairs

man i actually rode dh like 6 times this year... yeah that's right... GANGSTA.
yeah, i do ride a fairy ass trials bike up stupid stuff more often. i do know that i like my turner though :thumb:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Daver said:
Is there any reason not to buy a turner?
If you're the last one down the hill and you try to blame your bike, people will just laugh. Honestly, the Romic was the only worry I had when I bought mine and apart from using two shock bushings in 11 months (until I replaced the spacers with stainless ones) even the notorious Romic shock hasn't had a problem. Now they have the DHX there's nothing against them. If mine was stolen, I'd buy another DHR.

Also, Bill's service is above and beyond what any other importer will provide.