Quantcast

New frame!

b-man

Chimp
May 25, 2002
ct
Bullit....mmmm :)

I just picked this baby up at my lbs for $900 US :shock:

Its being built up with slider plus in camo, mag30's with hadley hubs, FSA chromo 3-piece cranks, evil srs, and other goodies :D

:D :D :D

Build pics coming when I get the parts in a little bit, getting a custom wheelset built up so it'll take a little longer

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
can you say Bling! have fun with that thing, sounds like you got a pretty good deal....

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
How come your shop is cool enough to sell that to you for $900? Only one shop in my area has a bullit, and they only have one at that. Furthermore, it was built up and then stripped, but they're selling it at a new price of $1265 for the frame only. I wish shops would get a clue and charge a little less, make a little less profit, and then maybe they'd get more than just ignorant people shopping there (heck, they might even get some real bikers buying components!... nah, I'm not spending $125 on an XTR RD). Man, shop prices piss me off. Only shop I've ever been into that had decent prices in store was Supergo, and I'm sorta pissed at them for poor customer service. I swear, is it impossible to put together good customer service, good part/bike selection and good prices? Oh, and not have to drive to Ferndale?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by erikkellison
How come your shop is cool enough to sell that to you for $900? Only one shop in my area has a bullit, and they only have one at that. Furthermore, it was built up and then stripped, but they're selling it at a new price of $1265 for the frame only. I wish shops would get a clue and charge a little less, make a little less profit, and then maybe they'd get more than just ignorant people shopping there (heck, they might even get some real bikers buying components!... nah, I'm not spending $125 on an XTR RD). Man, shop prices piss me off. Only shop I've ever been into that had decent prices in store was Supergo, and I'm sorta pissed at them for poor customer service. I swear, is it impossible to put together good customer service, good part/bike selection and good prices? Oh, and not have to drive to Ferndale?
Man, my lbs only charged me $1150 for my Bullit. But that was the price to start with. I get a little break on parts and stuff, but I've seen the invoices (I am working on an inventory database for them) and know how little they make on each part as it is. Bike stuff aint cheap and unless you sell crazy amounts (like Supergo) then you will have to charge the going rate.

Don't blame shops for high prices, blame the companies that make them for that.

Oh yeah, sweet ass Bullit man, I loved mine as I'm sure you'll love yours.

D

Dingus McGee

Watch out with that gold.....before you know it you will have gold Taperwall bars, etc..........I should know....:rolleyes:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
ChrisRobin, Ever heard of sarcasm?

I just know that shops could charge less, and then I might actually buy from them. Then, if they charged less, they would do more volume (assuming a large customer base), steal some business from online dealers, and end up still making the same amount of profit.
I know it can't be profitable to have a Demo9 on the floor with an LX kit and try to sell it for $4000 (a guess, I think the price may have been more), because no one will ever pay that much for a bike with such poor components (seriously, the build on it is a joke for a bike of that caliber). Or, at another shop, they've had the Wade Simmons model of the Rocky Mountain RM7 on the floor for about two years now. It's marked down to $2799 last time I checked (I hate the shop too much to ever go there), and no one buys it because it's still not a good deal with the parts on it.
So as it is, I do 99% of my shopping on the internet because even after shipping, it's still tons cheaper. Or, I buy used, which I think bike shops should do more of (act as a middle man). There are shops out there that do charge less, and they get my business, but I'm just mildly frustrated because the shops here in Bellingham are all collaborating together to collectively rip off the biking community. I get better deals driving to Seattle to DownhillZone or dealing w/ Allen @ DropNZone because both are all about hooking riders up.
Arghh.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
ChrisRobin, Ever heard of sarcasm?

I just know that shops could charge less, and then I might actually buy from them. Then, if they charged less, they would do more volume (assuming a large customer base), steal some business from online dealers, and end up still making the same amount of profit.
I know it can't be profitable to have a Demo9 on the floor with an LX kit and try to sell it for $4000 (a guess, I think the price may have been more), because no one will ever pay that much for a bike with such poor components (seriously, the build on it is a joke for a bike of that caliber). Or, at another shop, they've had the Wade Simmons model of the Rocky Mountain RM7 on the floor for about two years now. It's marked down to $2799 last time I checked (I hate the shop too much to ever go there), and no one buys it because it's still not a good deal with the parts on it.
So as it is, I do 99% of my shopping on the internet because even after shipping, it's still tons cheaper. Or, I buy used, which I think bike shops should do more of (act as a middle man). There are shops out there that do charge less, and they get my business, but I'm just mildly frustrated because the shops here in Bellingham are all collaborating together to collectively rip off the biking community. I get better deals driving to Seattle to DownhillZone or dealing w/ Allen @ DropNZone because both are all about hooking riders up.
Arghh.
Nobody's forcing you to shop at their store. Unfortunately buying bikes isn't like buying Pine-Sol, if you need it you've got to pay what it's being sold for, if it aint cheap then it aint cheap. I'm all for buying and selling used stuff but for a shop to do that they would have to accept the liability of a used part breaking which could put a bike shop out of business.

I doubt that the bike shops in your area have some sort of coalition just to screw you, its more like the economy in general is out to screw you. Have you seen the price of unleaded lately? I'm glad that in general prices on bikes has come down relative to average income, I can finally afford full suspension from a high end manufacturer. The guys who make the frames have to make some money too, don't think that the folks at any bike company large or small are making top dollar within their profession.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Originally posted by Kornphlake
Nobody's forcing you to shop at their store. Unfortunately buying bikes isn't like buying Pine-Sol, if you need it you've got to pay what it's being sold for, if it aint cheap then it aint cheap. I'm all for buying and selling used stuff but for a shop to do that they would have to accept the liability of a used part breaking which could put a bike shop out of business.

I doubt that the bike shops in your area have some sort of coalition just to screw you, its more like the economy in general is out to screw you. Have you seen the price of unleaded lately? I'm glad that in general prices on bikes has come down relative to average income, I can finally afford full suspension from a high end manufacturer. The guys who make the frames have to make some money too, don't think that the folks at any bike company large or small are making top dollar within their profession.
Word. Plus, don't underestimate business owners. They have a business for a reason- they want to make money. If they thought that lowering prices would be better for them, then they would do it.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
You will not get rich running a bike shop! The shop owners I know are in it to make a living and do what they love. The people in it for the money are weeded out pretty quick(around here at least)
Nice frame by the way:D

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Arghh.
Go work in the bike industry for awhile, then re-evaluate your statement. The bike industry has sh**ty margins. Typical bike margins are only 30%, 40% on components.

The only way that companies like Supergo are able to chare you less is because they buy in large quantities, and they spend less on their employees. Pay peanuts and you get monkeys is the old saying, and its true there, that's why their customer service isn't wonderful.

I've had the pleasure of working for 1) A bike shop 2) An online bike retailer 3) Bike manufacturer. None of these companies are making money hand over fist, but the manufacturers are doing better then the resellers.

The old saying is definitely true:

If you want to end up with $1 million in the bike business, start with $2 million.

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
Erik,
You have no idea how the bike industry works. The problem with people like you is you are willing to pay $2 a gallon for gas but not throw down and support a shop. Instead you want a deal. Give me a brake. Just because you can't afford some of the stuff, don't bitch about the shops prices. Without shop employees, you would have no idea what to order from supergo. People like you is the reason shops can't sell that stuff. Also just so you know, anything you buy from supergo or any of those places comes with absolutely NO warranty. Sorry but when buying dh stuff I would rather have a warranty than get a discount.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
nice man, thats a kick ass deal for $900. Should look sweet with the camo slider too

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Originally posted by yetirider22
Erik,
You have no idea how the bike industry works. The problem with people like you is you are willing to pay $2 a gallon for gas but not throw down and support a shop. Instead you want a deal. Give me a brake. Just because you can't afford some of the stuff, don't bitch about the shops prices. Without shop employees, you would have no idea what to order from supergo. People like you is the reason shops can't sell that stuff. Also just so you know, anything you buy from supergo or any of those places comes with absolutely NO warranty. Sorry but when buying dh stuff I would rather have a warranty than get a discount.
I love people like you. You give me something to write about.
First of all, some of you are saying things like I am not aware of the economics of a bike shop. Since I am, I will move on, because even if you aren't aware that I understand how it works, I understand, and that's all that matters. I just wanted to vent some frustration at the flawed system.
Now, onto the one who really has his head in the sand. "I can't throw down and support my lbs?" You seem to think that I should spend extra money to support my lbs like it's a charity. I wasn't aware that there was anything wrong with wanting a deal. I wouldn't be doing the same kind of biking that I'm doing now if I didn't appreciate a deal. I simply want to get the most for my money.
For 95+% of all the stuff I buy online, I do get a warranty (yes, I have even used receipts from Supergo on warranty claims). It is nice to be able to walk down the street and buy a new set of tires, but when my local shop doesn't even carry them because they cater to family riders and XC riders, and I have to wait 2+ weeks for a tire because they have to go through a distributor, and they still charge retail, where's my motivation? I end up waiting way longer, and paying literally twice as much at a shop. I would be better off buying twice as many tires online so I could have a variety, and when I didn't like one, I could try the other set. Like any lbs will let you take return a used tire.
Furthermore, it's not like I can't afford bike parts. I am just trying to get the most for my money. I just spent $800 on an '04 Bullit. I was going to buy a new one from a DH shop in Seattle, but that would have been $350 more for the same thing. I still have a warranty. It only makes sense to support the business that treats them the best. If that means shopping at the cheaper retailer, then okay. If it means spending more and getting your shoulder patted when you walk out the door, that's fine too.
And finally, I would be doing fine without shop employees for two reasons. 1. The internet has more information than any shop employee. 2. Most of the shop employees around here know so little about my kind of biking that I simply don't ask anymore. There are only a few shop employees in this town that even know what I'm talking about when I name local trails. It shouldn't be like that. Maybe these people shouldn't be employees, and instead people who know more about biking should be hired (in theory raising prices even more). But since I have had such bad experiences with local shop prices and unknowledgeable employees, I think that the best deal for my dollar tends to be online.
Oh, and "give you a brake?" Do you work roadside construction or something?
PS
I forgot to give credit to shops for having the tools that I don't want to drop dough on, like headset presses, headset removal tools and chasing and facing tools. Thanks for letting me borrow them!

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Erik, I'm suprised you have that much trouble with shops in your area, it seems that the riding in your area keeps on getting better and better, someone is catering to these riders, the bikes aren't all being ordered online....

maybe you should try gettin out and riding with some of the guys, It doesn't sound like you are giving them a chance.

the shop I work for wont discount a initial purchase ever, we offer meeting mail order plus shipping so we get the shipping rates, sometimes we can't meet things and we simply tell the customer we can't meet that, get it where you can get it cheapest.

However for repeat customers, prices start dropping, discounts start comin out, things can be done to help people out, but if you want them to help you out as far as deals and all that, maybe you should help them out a little by helping them stay in business.

some companies and it's more than 5% will not directly deal with the consumer. we like to keep people riding bikes, and the ones who help us the most, we help keep their bikes goin whatever it takes.....

just a different side........ something to think about......

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I love people like you. You give me something to write about.
First of all, some of you are saying things like I am not aware of the economics of a bike shop. Since I am, I will move on, because even if you aren't aware that I understand how it works, I understand, and that's all that matters. I just wanted to vent some frustration at the flawed system.
Now, onto the one who really has his head in the sand. "I can't throw down and support my lbs?" You seem to think that I should spend extra money to support my lbs like it's a charity. I wasn't aware that there was anything wrong with wanting a deal. I wouldn't be doing the same kind of biking that I'm doing now if I didn't appreciate a deal. I simply want to get the most for my money.
For 95+% of all the stuff I buy online, I do get a warranty (yes, I have even used receipts from Supergo on warranty claims). It is nice to be able to walk down the street and buy a new set of tires, but when my local shop doesn't even carry them because they cater to family riders and XC riders, and I have to wait 2+ weeks for a tire because they have to go through a distributor, and they still charge retail, where's my motivation? I end up waiting way longer, and paying literally twice as much at a shop. I would be better off buying twice as many tires online so I could have a variety, and when I didn't like one, I could try the other set. Like any lbs will let you take return a used tire.
Furthermore, it's not like I can't afford bike parts. I am just trying to get the most for my money. I just spent $800 on an '04 Bullit. I was going to buy a new one from a DH shop in Seattle, but that would have been $350 more for the same thing. I still have a warranty. It only makes sense to support the business that treats them the best. If that means shopping at the cheaper retailer, then okay. If it means spending more and getting your shoulder patted when you walk out the door, that's fine too.
And finally, I would be doing fine without shop employees for two reasons. 1. The internet has more information than any shop employee. 2. Most of the shop employees around here know so little about my kind of biking that I simply don't ask anymore. There are only a few shop employees in this town that even know what I'm talking about when I name local trails. It shouldn't be like that. Maybe these people shouldn't be employees, and instead people who know more about biking should be hired (in theory raising prices even more). But since I have had such bad experiences with local shop prices and unknowledgeable employees, I think that the best deal for my dollar tends to be online.
Oh, and "give you a brake?" Do you work roadside construction or something?
PS
I forgot to give credit to shops for having the tools that I don't want to drop dough on, like headset presses, headset removal tools and chasing and facing tools. Thanks for letting me borrow them!
Hey, I'm not going to ream you for wanting to get the most for your money. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

On the other hand, I really don't think the complaints about your LBS's are reasonable. I'm not going to start an argument about this, but on this board, comments like the ones you made are going to get analyzed and you can end up looking ignorant.

Anyway, just wanted to warn ya :cool: And I gotta say that $800 for a new bullit frame is a smoking deal

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Inclag
And I gotta say that $800 for a new bullit frame is a smoking deal
900. good deal nonetheless :thumb:

and i don't shop at shops anymore, although i do hop in to buy tubes and get headsets/bbs installed and removed.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I'll have to let you know but at 800 bucks the shop lost a few bucks on that frame...... unless it was used and not from a shop......

also for 900 bucks the shop made very little and I mean very little....

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Castle
I know, the lbs situation around here is getting out of hand. Sure, they can cater to the people that ride XC, but all the people that freeride around here, tend to go to Seattle, Canada or online for their bikes. No, I'm not exaggerating. There is one shop that has a lot of Kona's fully suitable for freeriding, and the other two shops have two freeride bikes between the two of them (previously mentioned)
I'm not sure what guys you're referring to though. Maybe the shop guys? Some of them into freeriding, but that is the vast minority, and I'm not exaggerating. But like I said, I'm not sure that's what you're talking about.
Inclag
That's the thing about lbs' around here. My complaints aren't exaggerations at all. I don't want the people at these shops to hate me or anything, but if my complaints were brought to light as you say, it wouldn't be me that ended up looking bad.

Oh, and thanks guys for not blowing up in my face. It's encouraging to see people stay mature about something that can get so many people up in arms.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Being so close to North Van, only a few hours right?

I guess it would be "the thing" to do, to drive across the boarder where you know you will have a full selection at your finger tips...

not to mention the excuse to go for a ride

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
:confused: Maybe I am missing something here, but for the most part RETAIL seems to be a dirty word to some , and for others it can have several different meanings. Online shops are not considered RETAIL within the industry. A good example is to read Jenson USAs price match policy, they define it very well. What burns me is the industries hipocracy, there is so much "shuffling" around of products and "deals" being made between manufacturers and huge retailers that the market has become almost non profitable for some. Manufacturers like Chris King and Continental for example that wholesale there own products are better equipped to keep the margins up to where a retailer can make a buck and they cut out the middle man Wholesalers.

As for local shops, if they are going to stay in business and make a profit they have to conform, like have a website at least with some company info, and offer service above and beyond what consumers demand .

Just my 2 cents :D

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Originally posted by AA_Freeze
:confused: Maybe I am missing something here, but for the most part RETAIL seems to be a dirty word to some , and for others it can have several different meanings. Online shops are not considered RETAIL within the industry. A good example is to read Jenson USAs price match policy, they define it very well. What burns me is the industries hipocracy, there is so much "shuffling" around of products and "deals" being made between manufacturers and huge retailers that the market has become almost non profitable for some. Manufacturers like Chris King and Continental for example that wholesale there own products are better equipped to keep the margins up to where a retailer can make a buck and they cut out the middle man Wholesalers.

As for local shops, if they are going to stay in business and make a profit they have to conform, like have a website at least with some company info, and offer service above and beyond what consumers demand .

Just my 2 cents :D
Yep, the only shops in the Northeast that I know are doing succesfull are the ones that are VERY involved in the cycling community in every aspect. Most shops think that they can just do sales/repairs. Just think about it. If a shop offers sponsorship to race teams and clubs, is at races helping their team and others out, offers group rides in all cycling disciplines, and holds programs at their store you can affect a core group of cycling enthusiast, of at least I would say 200+ people, that are dedicated to a single store and will pay for $$$ items for years to come.

From what I have seen, it's these shops that are getting by and making a pretty penny in doing so.

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
there ya go. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out how to market any particular business, its mostly common sense, thats why I say that shops that arent making it really arent doing enough.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Originally posted by AA_Freeze
there ya go. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out how to market any particular business, its mostly common sense, thats why I say that shops that arent making it really arent doing enough.
Basically, it is all common sense. For example, my roomate watched that show The Apprentice so I got to see it a bit. These people had gone to high profile colleges and trying to get a high profile executive job with Donald Trump and they were doing task that anyone with half a brain and some common sense could do.

The problem with a bike shop is that owners are too afraid to take the risk because of the money and time involved. It's really a shame.