Quantcast

New front forks........

1TrackMind

Chimp
Jun 23, 2006
Vermont-Baltimore-Atlanta
Hey guys......Im fairly new to this board...i just started riding again a couple months ago here in GA. Seems like most of the trails around here are dry singletrack with a little of everything...pretty much XC race trails. I have a 99 Trek 6000, I just upgraded the whole drivetrain.....got a new stem....just got new tires and brakes.....clipless pedals and nice mtb shoes.....its almost fully upgraded. The weakest link is now my Rock Shox Jett T2 front fork. Laugh it up i know i know.....but hey its taken approximately 7 years of pounding and never needed a rebuild. Basically what Im finding on the trails is that some of the faster dudes are passing me because of they're ability to pound over obstacles that i have to wheel hop over etc. Im looking for cheap shocks that will take about 3 foot jumps or less...because basically doing XC you dont fly off 5 foot kickers. Maybe 80mm or 100mm will be perfect. Ive heard if i try to put a shock with too much travel with my frame it could stress the frame and possibly break it. My stockers are 63mm....so i figure 80 or 100mm is fine. Suggestions and or info, OR if you yourself have a pair of good condition shocks for me cheap would be much appreciated....edumacate me guys....;)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
You'll have to check the steerer on your Jett - if it's a 1" steerer, then your options are going to be limited. I believe Marz is the only company still making a 1" steerer fork.

If not, look through the RM classified for used forks... something like a Manitou Black, Minute, or Fox Vanilla. Definitely limit the travel to 100mm.