Quantcast

New Fully=Demo 8, SC VP Free, IH 7point???

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
which one should I choose?
right now I have an IH Yazukua Ojiniki*, 7inches of travel, but I'd like to move up to something that I won't thrash as bad. Right now my IH is doing fine and I'd like to keep it that way so I can at least sell it for a decent price. Some from the bikes above, which should I get.

I plan on doing mainly FR but some DH races mixed in eventually.
I'm leaning twards a VP free since, I like the style of the VPP and SC owns. But if can find any of them for cheap then i'll consider them:help:

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
yea thats what I figured on, but the demo seemed a little overkill for the rare times, I'll be doing DH, but thats probably what I'll narrow my choices to. VP free or Demo 8

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
the demo 8 is designed purely as a race frame. If you're looking for a FR bike that can handle the ocasional race then go with the Vpfree. I don't see why you guys see the demo as being more "gnar" than the free. It does, afterall, have less travel. Redardless, you can't go wrong with the VP and you'll find many people on RM love them too. The demo is a sick bike, but geared more towards somebody who wants a race bike that can have some FR fun after the race.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
look at the seven point seven, good bike same travel that you have, but with DW which helps out alot for a race bike. it can pedal easier and of course do some gnar FR stuff

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
All great bikes. I personally would go with the 8 just because of the lifetime warranty and it is super stiff. The Free is known for requiring more bearing replacements.....

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
If you wanna go IH, how can you resist the Sunday? It's soo spanking beautiful, the spec is perfect, and it's good for anything and everything.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
For FR, my Free is my favorite bike I've ever thrown a leg over...it pedals well given 8.5 inches of travel, jumps exceptionally well, and It does just fine down the mountain...it's not a pure race bike like a v10, but it won't really hold you back either. It can be built up pretty light as well...I think mine is a bit over 40 pounds with all solid parts.

I could be mistaken, but think we may have met out at Jody's place in mebane the other week--I had the ano orange VPFree. If you ever wanna take her for a spin, let me know.

have fun with the bike shopping...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I am a bit biased but I love my vp-free and I agree with the others, it's a more versatile rig in my opinion. True, you may need to replace bearings once a year (depending on where and how you ride) but it's not hard to do. Mine feels right at home in all kinds of conditions, sweet ride.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
OGRipper said:
I am a bit biased but I love my vp-free and I agree with the others, it's a more versatile rig in my opinion. True, you may need to replace bearings once a year (depending on where and how you ride) but it's not hard to do. Mine feels right at home in all kinds of conditions, sweet ride.

Yep! What he said!!!

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
My vote goes to the demo8, I currently have a demo9 and it is an awsome bike just little too much for what I am doing. So my next frame is either a demo8 or new bighit. You may also want to check the bighit. I don't see all the hype on the vp bikes. They all have really high stand over heights so being short like myself a vp would never work. Also the Specialized warranty is a big plus.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Yeah, I'm biased owning a D9 too and would say going with the 8 is a great choice because it can be raced and hucked equally well....

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
I love my VP-Free. Pedals very well for 8.5 inches, jumps and pops lips really well, and the rear suspension with a DHX shock is amazing. Peforms really well on the DH, and lets me down softly every time i land a jump or drop. Only thing that i don't like about it, is that i'd rather it rides a little high. In comparison to my friends Sunday... the sunday kicks it's ass cornering. I actually like the suspension feel of the VP-Free better.

I agree with whatever someone said earlier... it deffinately won't hold you back on the downhill.

Actually, i really wanted a demo 8/9. Vp-Free was my second choice. I like the feel of bikes that you feel like you can totally shread the trails when you hop on, with a low center of gravity, and low handlebars. The VP-Free doesn't really have that, but i feel like i can huck anything :)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Bicyclist said:
Tell that to Kyle Strait.
yeah but he also has a complete sponsorship from specialized. he could race dh on an epic and specialized would still keep giving him frames.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
SuboptimusPrime said:
For FR, my Free is my favorite bike I've ever thrown a leg over...it pedals well given 8.5 inches of travel, jumps exceptionally well, and It does just fine down the mountain...it's not a pure race bike like a v10, but it won't really hold you back either. It can be built up pretty light as well...I think mine is a bit over 40 pounds with all solid parts.

I could be mistaken, but think we may have met out at Jody's place in mebane the other week--I had the ano orange VPFree. If you ever wanna take her for a spin, let me know.

have fun with the bike shopping...

yea I do remeber you now that you mention that. I might have to take you up on that over next time I'm over that way.

idk with everone saying the VP has a high standover hieght it kind of makes me hesitant to go for it. But like everyone else has also said they make a great all around bikes.

ah I'd like to possilbe get a 7 point but I can't find anyone selling just the frame. Also the sunday is nice, but mainly a DH rig I doubt it would be any good for Fr

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
wood-dog said:
Actually, I think you should scrap both bikes and buy a Haro x1 frame! You can't go wrong with a low forward single pivot frame
Unless you ride rockgardens. I personally hate single pivots. I would take a 4bar or dw linkage over a single pivot anyday

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the cool thing about the DW bikes is that they just preform in every situation and they still have a nice low standover.

but really take a look at the new big hit those things are flat out sweet.

also if the 7poit3 frame is too much forget about the VPfree and the Demo 8 because both of them are near the 2000 range. if you want to spend 1g max look at the transition dirtbag its a jake of all trades bike. its flickable and still stable

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
untitledsince89 said:
yea they have the 06 7point 3 frames for 1400 which is more than I want to spend, I'm max 1000
you ae not going to find any of the frame you mentioned for $1000.Out of all of them the 7 point will be the least expensive and as Sir said check out the bighit for a little more than what the 7 point frame would cost you can get a complete bike.
Are you just looking to buy new? Otherwise I have an 03 bighit w/8" upgrade in very good condition I'm looking to sell and considering selling my demo9.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
big hits are no good, i don't like the horst link. But I am planning on getting a used frame thats why I could easily get one for around 1000, just check the Buy and Sell, found an 04 Demo 9 for 950
and an 05 VP free for a 1000, so its definetly possible

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
untitledsince89 said:
idk with everone saying the VP has a high standover hieght it kind of makes me hesitant to go for it. But like everyone else has also said they make a great all around bikes.
don't worry about it. i was a little unsure about it having a high standover, but it's not bad. i don't really notice it at all. just makes it a little harder to get the opposite side foot over for no-foot can can's :cool:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The IH 7.9 would be a nice light FR bike. I like the Foes Fly, too. The IH Highline could take some punishing and it doesnt have the horst link.

Im just curious but why dont you like the HORST link?

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
7point 9's are nice but an air shock is no good really, def need a coil
idk the horst links never rode or jump the way I liked, Especially on the BH's. On other bikes such as IH SGS or Norco Shore, I don't mind as much and would consider getting

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
untitledsince89 said:
big hits are no good, i don't like the horst link. But I am planning on getting a used frame thats why I could easily get one for around 1000, just check the Buy and Sell, found an 04 Demo 9 for 950
and an 05 VP free for a 1000, so its definetly possible

The demo9/8 are a form of horst link.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
untitledsince89 said:
7point 9's are nice but an air shock is no good really, def need a coil
idk the horst links never rode or jump the way I liked, Especially on the BH's. On other bikes such as IH SGS or Norco Shore, I don't mind as much and would consider getting

The horst link suspension on the BH, old SGS, and Norco are all the same. The BH you rode must have had a bunk shock or something because they all ride the same.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
untitledsince89 said:
no, I kno that Norco licenses the Horst link from specilized so its partially the same, but, its really nothing to argue over. I don't like the way they ride end of story
There is a lot more to it than the horst link. I guess you're talking about Alex's bike. That bike in no way is set up to you. It's probably just the shock. Oh and it's a 4-bar link, not a single pivot. So yes, it's not going to feel exactly like your IronHorse. :oink:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I have tried those IH single pivots and to me they were some of the worst ridding bikes. I could not belive that the Sunday, 7 points and the Yakuza were made by the same company. The DW link bikes ride really well and the single pivot is horrible. As I said earlier i am not a fan of sinle pivots at all, I have ridden a bullit, gemini and the yakuza and I did not think any of them performed as well as a bighit or demo. i do not race so I don't ride full speed all the time, I like slower tecnical stuff so I find the 4-bar/horst link design works better for me. the only thing that make a Bighit different then a norco or old sgs is the fact that the older bighits are a 24" only rear wheel.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
untitledsince89 said:
no, I kno that Norco licenses the Horst link from specilized so its partially the same, but, its really nothing to argue over. I don't like the way they ride end of story

Im just curious why you dont like them? Have you ever owned one or ridden one that was set up for your weight? Dont get all defensive. Im just wondering and Im not arguing. Id like to hear your opinion. I ride a Fly, which is a single pivot, but mine has a floater. My wife rides a 05 Big Hit.

What bike have you owned?

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
as you said mike, yes I rode Alex's bike which in no way set up right. But besides that I've ridden many different Horst Link/Four bar set ups. Ridden Alex's, Aaron's BH, an SGS's set up for a 150 pound rider. and a norco 6. all of them were set up for a rider, around the 140-165 pound mark. The SGS was set for more DH riding, the Norco was more freeride oriented. Whenever I ride a horst link it feels like if I take a drop, its going to through me off, not Buck me off. The shock was set with a slow enough rebound so this would not occur. Overall the ride on trails and for DH a Horst link isn't that bad. But for jumping and more Freeride stuff, it just feels off to me.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Also I understand that the Demo's have a modified horst link, which is similar but not the same and feels a whole lot better than the BH's. I rode my friends Demo 9 and it felt amazing. So thats why I'd really like a Demo 8. Although I'd like to stick with IH, its be very hard to find any 7 point frame, used, for cheap. I like the feel of the d'w link and Think it'd be a nice set up. Also I found the Trasition Dirtbags for 1000 new which is another option.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
motomike said:
There is a lot more to it than the horst link. I guess you're talking about Alex's bike. That bike in no way is set up to you. It's probably just the shock. Oh and it's a 4-bar link, not a single pivot. So yes, it's not going to feel exactly like your IronHorse. :oink:
? what about the 4 four bar link and not a single pivot. idk when i said anything about that. :oink:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Thats weird. Darren Bareclaw and Steve Rominc and Matt Hunter never have that problem. I just think your statement is a bold statement saying it felt like it was going to throw you off. There is a reason the 4 bar FSR is the most popular suspension design ever made.