Quantcast

New Grassroots Team.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
BC VAN said:
i just got in from watchin the banger in the hanger ride session goin down...if you think i have an ideas about riding in the park your nuts.
....just thinking of how all the little groms at Woodward look at guys our age (I'm 33)....regardless of ability. I remember this local kid was talking about Matt Hoffman at his last X Games. He said "That old guys is pretty good...what is he like 30...wow!"

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
BC VAN said:
45 inches for the wheel base 13 inches for bb height and 17 3/4 for chainstay...those are rough as i just measured it in my truck, as i'm out the door to woodward west, but my bike is the same as you buy so it real close to that.
That sounds awful low. Id guess about an inch higher, allthough its basicly your bike so who knows...

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
yea i dont even think you could carry enough speed on a dh bike but id be too scared to hit it on the slalom or ht

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Red Bull said:
That sounds awful low. Id guess about an inch higher, allthough its basicly your bike so who knows...
It could be 13, i do believe since the BB is floating at part of the suspension the BB height doesn't go down as much as most suspesion designs. I know the Storms didn't, which also had a floating BB

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Red Bull said:
as long as the bb doesnt nail the ground when you bottom out, low is good imo.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Low is good becasue it give the bike a low center of gravity which makes railing corners nice. A higher bb is less likely to clip rocks and trees.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
gnurider1080 said:
as long as the bb doesnt nail the ground when you bottom out, low is good imo.
Yeah no kidding. But one of the lowest BB's i have heard off is the Sunday at 13.9. However many people complain about hitting pedals/cranks so 13" just kinda scares me. Allthough with 165mm cranks and if what you are saying about the suspension is true, that bike would RIP.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Red Bull said:
Yeah no kidding. But one of the lowest BB's i have heard off is the Sunday at 13.9. However many people complain about hitting pedals/cranks so 13" just kinda scares me. Allthough with 165mm cranks and if what you are saying about the suspension is true, that bike would RIP.
Chumba's have an 11.5 inch BB. You can bottom the pedal into the ground with the cranks vertical.

I think this program is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while. Putting something back into the sport that definatly needs it.

What level of riders are you looking for, EC?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
mtnbrider said:
That would be so funny to see/hear.
Do you feel the need to reply to every single post in every single thread? :blah:

BC VAN, glad to see a grassroots oppurtunity getting up. Seems like it would be a fun thing to do.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
konabiker said:
Chumba's have an 11.5 inch BB. You can bottom the pedal into the ground with the cranks vertical.

I think this program is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while. Putting something back into the sport that definatly needs it.

No, their dh bike does not have an 11.5'' bb, that would be absurdly low to the point of being unusable. Their listed bb height is 14.6. way to be 3'' off though. The lowest you can usually find on dh bikes are a bit under 14'', like sundays. Giant faiths with the top rocker flipped will also clear under 14''. Kircalde drills out new mounting holes in his dhr to drop his bb to like 13.6 which for that much travel on a dh bike, especially condsidering 50+ percent sag is about as low as youd want to conceivably go.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
A.P said:
No, their dh bike does not have an 11.5'' bb, that would be absurdly low to the point of being unusable. Their listed bb height is 14.6. way to be 3'' off though. The lowest you can usually find on dh bikes are a bit under 14'', like sundays. Giant faiths with the top rocker flipped will also clear under 14''. Kircalde drills out new mounting holes in his dhr to drop his bb to like 13.6 which for that much travel on a dh bike, especially condsidering 50+ percent sag is about as low as youd want to conceivably go.

That's an old spec on the website, they haven't changed that since they made the geo change for the 04 model year. the f4 is 14 probably about 13.6 i would guess depending on the rim/tire/fork combo.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
on the bb height issue, i measured that in the back of my truck at night so i can't tell you it's spot on, i'll get all the numbers from our r&d guy and post them after i talk to him, so you'll get the exact number.
i'll also try to get them to put it on the web site for the future.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
konabiker said:

first off i want to say thanks to all the people who have given feedback for this....the response has been awsome and it just motivates me more. i really think this will be a lot of fun.

to answer the question here.

we welcome any riders who think it's something they would like to be a part of to send us a request through sponsorhouse.com
(again, it'll be about 4/5 days for the sponsorhouse thing to be up)

when the sponsorhouse link is up i'll post a link.

i realized that there would be some intrest but the demand for this type of program has been a surprise to me, which is awsome, if there are a bunch of tribe members it makes the gatherings more fun.

out at our fontana local series there are a couple of small teams that are looking at it as well.... i think it would be cool if riders got together with thier friends and formed thier own small team within the tribe.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
even though its based on the west coast if i have a team on the east coast that would want to be in the tribe could we still do it?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yeah - Eric, I kind of have a thing with Specialized at the college I ride for, but is there anything I can do to help out establishing a Tribe here on the East Coast???

If you want I could provide some contact info for you with the guys at Diablo Freeride Park in my home state of N.J.

...speaking of which - since UCI scheduled one of their biggest races on Memorial Day (the same day as the U.S. Open) some foreign riders many not be able to make it... Why don't you come race with us at the Open this year??? We'd love to have you - plus the course is loads of fun - lots of different elements and terrain.

PM me if you are interested, and let me know what you think...