New GT prototype spotted

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
For sure lighter than the Fury.
But Guerilla Gravity won't be amused.:D
Still using the i-Drive?
I asume this pic is from the UK DH round 1 and this is a Atherton steed. Do we have journalist monkey there?

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Is there a need for I-Drive with a chain line height pivot?
Is that shock directly mounted to swingarm? With link just for stiffening, or is the shock mounted to the link to tailor leverage curve?
Wouldn't it be an uncharacteristic move from GT who are usually more radical in their designs to just have a simple single pivot design?
Is that a pivot under the main pivot?
.1d68d86c8d4f5be15d52120f8953135d_full.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
I asume this pic is from the UK DH round 1 and this is a Atherton steed. Do we have journalist monkey there?
The plates on the van and trailer are European so maybe not an Atherton bike? The watermark is obscuring the country.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Looks very EVIL-y. I agree though, I can't see the need nor logic behind a chainring high pivot and I drive combined. methinks some clever marketing is afoot.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Weight was one of the issues with the old Fury. It looks like they addressed that. Other problems included: too short (WB), too steep (HA), and too high (BB). If all that is dialed in, we have a killer bike! On the subject of I-drive, it looks like it's still in place, which is a good thing. I have an old GT trail bike with the I-drive and it is a pretty darn excellent platform.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
650b? The rims look like flow EX which are available in 650 and I believe someone comfirmed the new RAD fox 40 fits a 650. Could be gearing up for bigger wheels on the pedally PMB WC course later this year.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
conintentool tires? they haven't been involved in 650bisness at all, iirc. Plus the clearance on the arch looks bigger than the 0.5" you usually get.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
full saint, full pro components. Athertons didn't really like the setup of the Fury bikes, they used offset bushings shorter shock etc...

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Which is why GT would redesign it for them....
They have been designing this bike long before the Athertons were riding GT.... 2011 is about when some of the first protos were coming out. Dont wanna let the cat out but Ive spent a little bit of time on something that GT has in the works.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Not True. I have a set of Continental 650b/27.5's now. They are ramping up a full 650/27.5 line up now.

Cecil
You of all people should know how truly lame it is to be the guinea pig on a first year production run product.
Here's a list of our past "first year production run" history in case you forgot. :D

Azonic carbon bar that ripped out of Tyler's hand doing a manual.
SDG I-fly flopping off 5 rides in.
Those lovely tubes that whapped your arse all the way down Mt. Snow
SRAM plastic derailleurs that puked on us if you bottomed the bike out
Our Dorado's with random lockout (triggered only by moisture)
Grey Shimano DX clipless pedal bodies that barfed their guts
FSA cranks that bent at the site of granite
Race Face 3 piece stems that twisted
Gustav's spitting their pads out
Sun Doublewide's that if dented, spit tires off the side of the rim instantly.
Tioga DH rims that bent a screwdriver

:rofl: Man, DH'ers these days got it made.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
You of all people should know how truly lame it is to be the guinea pig on a first year production run product.
Here's a list of our past "first year production run" history in case you forgot. :D

Azonic carbon bar that ripped out of Tyler's hand doing a manual.
SDG I-fly flopping off 5 rides in.
Those lovely tubes that whapped your arse all the way down Mt. Snow
SRAM plastic derailleurs that puked on us if you bottomed the bike out
Our Dorado's with random lockout (triggered only by moisture)
Grey Shimano DX clipless pedal bodies that barfed their guts
FSA cranks that bent at the site of granite
Race Face 3 piece stems that twisted
Gustav's spitting their pads out
Sun Doublewide's that if dented, spit tires off the side of the rim instantly.

:rofl: Man, DH'ers these days got it made.
Those Tioga rims were intense. It was crazy. I don't think kids these days will ever understand :rofl:

I bent MOTO levers trying to get an Intense FRO on them once. And I can fit any other tire on any other rim with my bare hands, but those tiogas. oh. my. god.

They were probably tubeless ready though. haha.

Feb 14, 2011
Gee and Dan were both riding those frames on the Llangynog quarry jumps a few weeks ago. I was riding the Revolution uplift next to the quarry and watching them made a good lunch time break. In real life the jumps look twice as big as the video, you could fit my house in the last but one. Seeing how smoothly Dan made those jumps did make me think that Enduro racing is a waste of his skills.

Sorry not really able to make e-engineering decisions based on seeing them pass me at 30mph and 20 feet up but yeah they did look to have a long wheelbase.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Those Tioga rims were intense. It was crazy. I don't think kids these days will ever understand :rofl:

I bent MOTO levers trying to get an Intense FRO on them once. And I can fit any other tire on any other rim with my bare hands, but those tiogas. oh. my. god.

They were probably tubeless ready though. haha.
This is so funny. My friend recently bought a 2003 DHi for $400 just for the parts. Bike was near new. The rear Hadley was totally worth it. It has those Tiogas and he set it up tubeless really easily...

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
My buddys 2003 DHi got stollen! Doesn't happen to have some old red sidewalled IRC's on there does it. haha.

Yea, they would definately make tubeless easy. You probably only need to run UST tires and rim strip what with how tight that bead was. I shiver to this day thinking about replacing tires/tubes on them. haha

May 25, 2006
If I found some of those rims, I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Still have one on the rear of my hardtail... the tire levers that that rim claimed... :D

It's a bombproof rim too, I've done my share of casing on that thing. Too bad the front wheel walked away when my garage was broken into.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
They have been designing this bike long before the Athertons were riding GT.... 2011 is about when some of the first protos were coming out. Dont wanna let the cat out but Ive spent a little bit of time on something that GT has in the works.
Selling them online and frame only (the new thing) would help the company grately. They are not very visible in yurp. Both online and in shops.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Correct-me if I'm wrong, but this a single pivot bike with an I-drive system set out to conquer to most demanding courses and races? Man, I love it!

Simple bikes for outstanding riders! Le retour aux sources as we would say in french...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Correct-me if I'm wrong, but this a single pivot bike with an I-drive system set out to conquer to most demanding courses and races? Man, I love it!

Simple bikes for outstanding riders! Le retour aux sources as we would say in french...
Bikes ride much differently than people think when taken off the internet and on to proper trails. Weird how that works.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
definitely a winner. look how big that porta-potty is! and the firewood is stacked right next to it.
It's a much cleaner looking design, although now it's open to the "looks like a (insert other bike here)" comments.