Quantcast

New Guns

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Definately......I just read up on about insurgents using .22 rifles outfitted with supressors against those hardchargers in the sandbox.

They are going for neck/face shots and armpits shots....where there is no body armor.
werd, .22 rounds have a bad habit of entering a soft spot and bouncing around inside the rib cage causing all kinds of non-repairable damage. i'd almost prefer a hotter round that at least has an exit wound.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I have a home protection question... ... How many guns that are owned for home security used as such?
Don't always need a gun.

knives in the kitchen
sword over the fireplace
bats and tools in the basement
letter opener on your desk
etc...

dang, homes can be dangerous places....

I have a home protection question.

an individual is in their home and they have a gun for protecting their family. Where do they store the gun? How many points of entry do they have in their home? (front door, back door, three ground level windows, garage that leads to inside door, etc)

It would make sense to me, for that individual to have their gun on them at all times. This way, if they are in the basement or some other room, and an intruder breaks in, they will be armed and ready.

if they store their gun in the nightstand the gun is only going to be usefull if they can get to the nightstand. I realize that most breakins take place at night but that brings up another question. How many people can wake from a dead sleep and accurately shot a gun in the dark?

How many guns that are owned for home security used as such?
all this is true and its not likely that if you own a hand gun you will ever use it to protect your property or loved ones, thank god. however hundreds of people a year do find themselves in a home defense situation and are able to get to the said night stand.

something else that no statistic can show, how many times the victim has had to do nothing more than show his firearm and willingness to use it to devert the need for deadly force.

here in nc we have a concealed carry permit. i heard someone ask why you would need that, "like you can't even go to the mall without a gun". they assumed that if you had the permit you would carry a gun 100% of the time. in reality most people want it for certian situations like, my 110lb wife who used to manage a sports store with tens of thousands of dollars of guns and close at night, sometimes with nothing more than a twenty year old girl with her, or when she goes hiking by herself.

just because we can't gaurantee if a situation where to arise we would handle it flawlessly and we can't control all the perameters doesn't mean that a gun isn't an option we should consider.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I have carried a knife pretty much every day since I was 12-13. It's like taking my keys at this point. DC is a no gun town for us sucker law abiders, so no choice of armament when I'm here and not at my place in VA.

I've taken personal defense classes and learned the basics with and without weapons from people who seem to know what they're talking about, but in my experiences, during all of which I avoided violence or loss of property (had a weapon pulled on me once in anger, had multiple people tail me or make moves like they were going to try something, a snatch and grab or two, verbal confrontations with drunk people etc) the absolute key is situational awareness to take away the element of surprise. Your average criminal will simply pick an easier target... and even if not, you cant really use your shiny weapons if they're still in your pocket/holster/drawer when the **** hits the fan.