Quantcast

New guy and a few questions

Todd Peddle

Chimp
May 25, 2013
Hi everyone. I'm a avid cross country rider and currently have a Specialized FSR stumpjumper. I love the bike overall but I just want to tweak one thing with it. With the flat handle bar and stem i have i find im leaning to far forward and find it uncomfortable after riding for awhile.
My question is do i just shorten the stem or get riser handle bars? Or both? I just need a few inches closer so im not leaning so far forward.
I will upload pics shortly.
Thanks

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, that looks painful. Shorter stem and wider riser bars with some good sweep. Even 720mm wide bars would probably feel super-wide. You'll feel a little strange at first with your hands so far from each other, but it will get comfortable fast and you'll not want to go back. Lots of people are running 740-780 even on XC bikes these days. The handlebar would be the biggest upgrade, but with a wider handlebar you might find you want to shorten the stem up a bit.

Last edited:

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
If you have a set of fit numbers, then just adjust everything to fit that. If you haven't had a bike fit, then I recommend that you go get fit. The best fits are a couple of hours long and expect to pay at least $150 for the fit. But what you get is a set of numbers that you can apply to every bike in your stable, and you won't have to guess if doing something to your bike is right or not.

Is your current stem a negative rise? If it is, you could try flipping it over and try that for a ride or two. If you decide to make changes, make one at a time, and ride it a couple of times before making any other changes.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
I have seen a ton of guys running sweep bars these days and they seem to like them alot. I would also recommend a bike fit but make sure the shop uses your bike. It is really hard to tell on a fit bike what exactly would make your bike better.

When I fit guys to there own bikes they tend to better understand what the bike should feel like rather then a spin bike that is set to the exact specifications needed. For the type of riding you are doing I would recommend that type of fit.

Todd Peddle

Chimp
May 25, 2013
Won't be able to ge to get a bike fit. I live in a smaller city in Northern AB Canada. I ordered a new sten and handle bars a few days back. Will update when i receive them.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
Atta boy, just order the parts and see if they work for you. If they don't work out for you then sell them to your buddies or try and return them. That's how you start a collection of spare parts.:)
Yeah I think there are a few guys kicking on this website with some spare stems, saddles, and handlebars kicking around.