Quantcast

NEW GUY-former road rider

ckylenn

Chimp
May 7, 2004
WI
I am 23 and just quit road biking, i bought an 04 P.3 and i really like it but i don't know how to do anything. i can bunny hop like a foot or so:( and tonight i jumped down a flight of 4 stairs. i want to learn to do stuff, i bought knee/shin pads, a helmet and gloves so i am ready to try stuff. where can i learn? I can't manual or any of that. i would like to do that stuff where you can bunny hop onto stuff and stall and all that. anyone want to help? if anyone lives in WI where are some DJ parks for a pussy like me;)
thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
If you're learning to dirtjump, get a shovel and build them yourself. That way they start tiny and get bigger as you get better.

As for manuals and bunnyhops, spend a ton of time practicing.

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Just ride as much as you can, and consistently. If you ride only once a week, you won't progress very much. It would also help to ride with someone who is more skilled than you. Watch as many biking vids as you can, and don't get too hung up on learning 'tricks'. You can practice pretty much anywhere. You don't have to go somewhere far to practice. It just depends on what you want to practice. Parking lots are great for manuals, and 180's to fakie. For grinds, just find a ledge or rail somewhere, they're pretty common. Just use your imagination.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
just take your time and have fun. don't be in a major rush to "learn" things. spend as much time as possible riding, getting used to the bike and whatnot. progressing naturally and focusing on the fun part will make you want to ride more and more, therefore making you a better rider. those guys you see in vids and mags have been riding that way for many years to get to that point.

Zippy357

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Mountlake Terrace WA
welcome to the dirt jumping world, he he

I own a p2 myself and have loved every miniute of DJ.

As for staring out don't go to a DJ park and expect to pick it up quick. Find a mentor and start out small.:cool:

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
Originally posted by ckylenn
I am 23 and just quit road biking, i bought an 04 P.3 and i really like it but i don't know how to do anything. i can bunny hop like a foot or so:( and tonight i jumped down a flight of 4 stairs. i want to learn to do stuff, i bought knee/shin pads, a helmet and gloves so i am ready to try stuff. where can i learn? I can't manual or any of that. i would like to do that stuff where you can bunny hop onto stuff and stall and all that. anyone want to help? if anyone lives in WI where are some DJ parks for a pussy like me;)
thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!
Good job, if i where you i would start small and work up bigger as you get better at doing jumps or bunny hopin what ever you like to do and you will be a fine rider in no time.:D

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
Originally posted by dromond
If you're learning to dirtjump, get a shovel and build them yourself. That way they start tiny and get bigger as you get better.

As for manuals and bunnyhops, spend a ton of time practicing.
Like what this guy said.;)

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Good to hear you quit that road thing. Rooaaad, that's a funny word.:D

By the way, manuals are fun :thumb: