Quantcast

New guy w/ daycare issue wants my shift, in return I get the shaft. What should I do?

Should I give up my good shift at work?

• Tell him to pound sand

Votes: 51 96.2%
  • Be a chump and give it up

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
So we got a new guy this week, and because he has kids he wants an earlier shift. Because I am the designated RHSC I was approached to give up mine. That means I get to work two hours later in the day, and get screwed in rush hour traffic.

I mean just because someone has kids, does that mean that they free pass to disrupt other peoples lives? Shouldn't he just lie in the bed he made?

Should I tell him to piss off or be a nice guy and give up my shift?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Velocity Girl started a thread about this very thing the other day.

I say screw him. He shoulda thought about that before he had kids. Not only that he's the FNG, the low man on the totem pole... he should get the worst of everything.

Less kids! More pets!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
No way, and then start the negotiations. Play him C.R.E.A.M., Cash Rules Everything Around Me.

I'm not joking, he wants convenience, so do you, so make him pay.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I agree with sanjuro. You need to be compensated, otherwise, he can deal with his own issues.

That is, if you want compensation. If you don't care and just want the earlier shift, tell him to piss off.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I have a kid and I'm constantly infuriated by.....other people with kids! My wife stays home with our child. The crap I put up with from other irresponsible people with kids is nearly legendary.

I have a co-worker, who's wife is an airline stew....in order to save on daycare she works the weekends, she's fairly senior and usually get the shift she wants (fr-sa-sun-mon). So two days a week he comes to work about 9:00 am-ish and bails at 2:30 or 3:00. He's supposed to work 6:30 to 4:00, He won't take the late shift because he wants to miss the rush hour, so I got stuck with the late shift. But since he can't reliably get to work I kept getting called in early several times a month, we can't afford any down time during work hours so someone has to be here to troubleshoot before work starts. So I switched to the early shift to make sure I was here to make sure everything was up. Then my boss complained about afternoon coverage. Finally I told my boss he could have his choice early or late, but I was going to bike commute so if he had a problem in the morning I couldn't cover.

Short answer: Tell him to pound sand. It's his kid, it's his job, he had a choice in both of those so he made his own bed. Asking you to rearrange your life for his choices is unfair, especially when he's the noob.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Brian HCM#1 said:
It's amazing all the bashers DON'T have kids. You gotta step in his shoes and maybe you'll understand.
Well, there is a little history at his job for Tenchiro, which he has posted on RM, and it is not a good one.

With that in mind, I would not be very accomodating, especially with senority.

At one job I was the junior guy, and the senior guy wanted me to rotate 1st and 2nd shifts every 6 months based on his kids schedule. I was more than glad to do it, but he was a bud with senority.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Brian HCM#1 said:
It's amazing all the bashers DON'T have kids. You gotta step in his shoes and maybe you'll understand.
Maybe they have and they realize it is the new guys problem to deal with.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Brian HCM#1 said:
Wait. So it's everyone ELSE'S problem if your co-worker has kids and wants to take YOUR shift? If he couldn't work the hours he was supposed to, why did he apply for the job? Why wasn't it worked out prior to him starting?

Having kids does not mean the world owes you anything. It means you're a parent, and you have to either parent when you're not working, or quit and become a full time parent. It's not my job, his job, or cousin Joe's job to switch shifts that they are happy with having (not to mention switching to a more inconvenient shift) because the new plebeian decided he doesn't like his hours.

VG waas right. Get a dog, skip the kids.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Brian HCM#1 said:

I have a Kid. When you have a kid you make choices. Maybe changing jobs wasn't such a good idea if he had to change shifts. He knew the job hours when he changed jobs. Shafting someone else after two weeks isn't a problem, it's a plan.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
You should not have to be inconvienced, and loose time away from your life, because of him (or his kids). Sorry Brian, but really doesn't matter if it's his kids, wife or dog. He should have thought about the commute/time he needed before taking the job. Sure, he can ask, but you are under no obligation what so ever to say yes. I would not give up my personal time, it's too valuable to me.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Grrrr..

I've passed up several very good job offers (1.5 times what I make now) because they didn't supply the job security or hours I wanted. It's a Choice to have a child. It's a choice for the new guy to change jobs. It's a choice for the new guy who just changed jobs to try to screw someone else out of a shift, AFTER he was hired. If it was so important, he could have made it a condition of employment, or not taken the job.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Brian HCM#1 said:
I have a kid - I don't make it someone else's problem, and I never will.

Tell him to stick a knife in his eye.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Ask him why he has complete strangers raising his kid for him.

I'm with the , no, do not give up your shift unless you were getting something good for you out of it.

geargrrl

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Brian HCM#1 said:
disagree. When we had kids ( two) we made a conscious choice to not have others raise them for us ( daycare) Things were pretty tight when they were small, but we have never, ever regretted the decision to have one parent at home. And don't whine about cost of living yadayada, we picked up and moved 1600 miles to a community where we could afford to have one parent at home and buy a house.

geargrrl

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Brian HCM#1 said:
Brian got pwned on that one.

Sorry man... Your kids, YOUR problem. The world does not make concessions just because you decided to take on more responsibility by having kids.

And I don't have kids BY CHOICE. You know how people are saying that he shoulda thought of it before having kids and all that? Well, that's what me and the wife are doing. Thinking about it before having them and realizing that now is not the time.
robdamanii said:
There's a huge difference between an old buddy and a FNG....

I'd give it up for an old friend coworker as well.
Absolutely.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
geargrrl said:
disagree. When we had kids ( two) we made a conscious choice to not have others raise them for us ( daycare) Things were pretty tight when they were small, but we have never, ever regretted the decision to have one parent at home. And don't whine about cost of living yadayada, we picked up and moved 1600 miles to a community where we could afford to have one parent at home and buy a house.

geargrrl

My wife stays home, has for five years. It's been hard, sometimes. She misses talking to adults. I miss having two incomes and the ability to spend a few bucks, and free time. But it works. It's all about choices.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Well would this employee be a good asset? Or just filling the temporary void? I've had to change my work schedule and piss others off to accommodate my kids. I'm sure there can be a compromise.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
geargrrl said:

geargrrl
I understand your point and it's very valid, however it might not be the same situation, maybe his wife works too and they need to make it work around each others shift. I don't know this whole guys story so it's just an assumption. I just found it amusing that all most of the negativity was coming from the ones without children. It was amazing the things I'd say on how to raise a child just by watching others (the armchair quarterback before kids). It's a completely different story when your in that position. That was my main point.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Sheesh guys you were kids once, what did your parents do with you while they worked?

Tenchiro, your situation sucks. I hated IT, hated my co-workers, hated the hours, hated the flaky nature of the job situtaions, it was ALL bad. Even the money, it sucked.

Maybe a career change is in order. I'm so glad to have jumped into design work, sure I'm the dude that has to fix peoples comuter issues at my small comany, but the money is better.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
ummbikes said:
Sheesh guys you were kids once, what did your parents do with you while they worked?
Well, my parents were divorced and we mostly lived with my mom. She used various tactics including, putting us in private school that had before and after school programs so she didn't have to make any compromises at work. We stayed with grandparents alot, and we were taught early how to take a bus, ride our bikes where we needed to go and stuff like that. Sometimes the mom took us into work with her (weekends only) and we had to sit in the cafeteria with our books and such and didn't wander.

When we lived with the dad he did pretty much the same.
Skookum said:
If the kid has special needs then i'd consider making sacrifices.
That's a good point you brought up. My very good friend has an autistic child who is an extreme handful. Great kid and we all love him to death. But his needs are so demanding that my friends have decided to not have any more kids because they are afraid that they won't have the time or energy to devote to two kids with one being a special needs child.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
When this dude applied or interviewed for the job didn't he know the shift?

I hate the extra time off people with kids are allowed. Since I have pets for kids do you think I'd get the same respect for needing to take time off if they were ill or I had to take them to an appt? :rolleyes:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ummbikes said:
Dad worked, my mom quit being a nurse.

But this was way back in the dark ages.