Quantcast

New guy w/ daycare issue wants my shift, in return I get the shaft. What should I do?

Should I give up my good shift at work?

• Tell him to pound sand

Votes: 51 96.2%
  • Be a chump and give it up

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Thanks for all the advice, I was supresied to see it streetch to the 2nd page. I am definately gonna keep my shift, There is just no way in hell I want to work until 6:30p...

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
ummbikes said:
Sheesh guys you were kids once, what did your parents do with you while they worked?
I was a Latchkey kid...

ummbikes said:
Tenchiro, your situation sucks. I hated IT, hated my co-workers, hated the hours, hated the flaky nature of the job situtaions, it was ALL bad. Even the money, it sucked.

Maybe a career change is in order. I'm so glad to have jumped into design work, sure I'm the dude that has to fix peoples comuter issues at my small comany, but the money is better.
I am about done with it, trouble is I don't know much else besides the printing industry and it has been 10 years since I toruched a press or camera.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Tenchiro said:
Thanks for all the advice, I was supresied to see it streetch to the 2nd page. I am definately gonna keep my shift, There is just no way in hell I want to work until 6:30p...

:thumb: You should keep it, and not feel guilty about it at all. The guy has coconut sized ones if he thinks he can get hired for a given shift and two weeks later force a long time employee swap shifts.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Brian HCM#1 said:
Well would this employee be a good asset? Or just filling the temporary void? I've had to change my work schedule and piss others off to accommodate my kids. I'm sure there can be a compromise.
Just because he's a good employee doesn't mean he should have the right to screw over other good employee's. The guy has every right to ask if things can be changed, but he shouldn't expect them to. If they can't he needs to find other ways of dealing with it (maybe hiring someone to watch his kids for the few hours difference, etc) or finding another job that accomadates his needs. I wouldn't take a job if I was required to work a late shift. And yes, life circumstances change sometimes, but why should a co-worker have to give up their life, time, money for yours?

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
I have kids and I would not expect someone with seniority over me to give up a choice shift for me. I would ask, and be damn grateful if it worked out in my favor, but if not I would just work what was available and have to wait for something to open up or go do something else.

I changed jobs at the end of the summer. My old employer would've laid me off for the winter, but even if I had stayed on, my whole paycheck would have gone to someone else (daycare) to raise 3 kids. So since it would have been a wash, I would have quit anyway. I got lucky and got picked up by a company where I work from home.

We all have to make sacrifices in life due to our own circumstances, but those sacrifices should not impose on others!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
screw that, he's the one who just started, if the shift thats 2 hours after yours is the one that was open, and he knew there was going to be a problem, he never should have taken the job. Tell him to get lost.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
According to the chit system, he has every right to ask, but should expect absolutely nothing. FNG's have to pay their dues; it's clear to me that (whoever started this thread) has done so.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
if he is a new guy he knew what he was getting into by taking the job... if you like your shift keep it.. if it doesnt matter to you what shift your on, maybe give it up or rotate if possible.
I have to work night shift for 2 weeks every 6 weeks. i dont have kids and the other guys i rotate with do. I dont have too , but sometimes i take an extra 2 weeks of nights to help them out, because i know its tough on them with kids. and I dont mind it so much

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Tenchiro said:
So we got a new guy this week, and because he has kids he wants an earlier shift. Because I am the designated RHSC I was approached to give up mine. That means I get to work two hours later in the day, and get screwed in rush hour traffic.

I mean just because someone has kids, does that mean that they free pass to disrupt other peoples lives? Shouldn't he just lie in the bed he made?

Should I tell him to piss off or be a nice guy and give up my shift?
As someone that now has a kid maybe you should be a little more understanding about what someone has to do once they have a child. It's really hard people with kids today.
If you don't want to give up your shift don't but maybe you could be a nice guy and offer some other suggestions. I don't think the guy should get a free pass to disrupt your life, but he should get a little respect and maybe a little help

Just my 2 cents

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
What's the problem with asking for whatever reason? That is a rhetorical question to which I'll provide the answer, there is no problem. Be thankful its not being forced on you, tell 'em no and get on with your life.

But just pray that nothing happens in your life that requires any accomidation.

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
As someone with three kids who made the decision with the wife not to subcontract our parenting, I don't think it's anyone responsibility to cover for this guy. He and his wife are enjoying the benefits of being a dual income family, why should that be at YOUR expense. Let them hire someone to cover more of their parenting shifts.

Luckily it doesn't sound like any real pressure is being exerted to take this early shift away from Tenchiro, so I say just say no and move on. :)

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
bmxr said:
subcontract our parenting
Ya know this self rightious crap doesn't really fly well with me.

Why not say, I make enough money to support my family, and I bow down prostrate and thank God every day for that fact?

Instead you play a game where by your ever so snarky works you demean anyone who by choice or circumstance uses day care?

Are you going to do a little sub-contracting when they start their education? Or are you preparing to educate them at home. How about medical care? Do you sub any of that out?

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
If you really NEED day care, then my condolences/apologies. That said, when my oldest son was born, I was making $30k/year in a city with a very high cost of living, so I put my money where my mouth is. I am trading lost potential income for my wife being at home during this time in my kids' lives (all three are under 6 years old). There is value in that for me.

ummbikes said:
Are you going to do a little sub-contracting when they start their education? Or are you preparing to educate them at home. How about medical care? Do you sub any of that out?
I don't think that's a valid analogy. Professional teachers and medical doctors are specially educated to be better-equipped to perform those functions. Are you saying that a day care worker is better equipped than you (or me) to be a parent and raise our kids? Not at any of the "day cares" I have ever seen.

As for answering the (silly) question posed, my wife is doing a good job of keeping all three kids well ahead of where their doctors and teachers expect them to be. If it wasn't for the decreased socialization aspect, home-schooling would not be out of the question, and certainly is something we have to be prepared to do, being that we live in a City with famosly ****ty schools. I think we will continue to sub-contract medical services, though...

Sorry to hijack the thread! Start another one if you want to ummbikes, but I'm done here :)

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
ummbikes said:

Why not say, I make enough money to support my family, and I bow down prostrate and thank God every day for that fact?

Instead you play a game where by your ever so snarky works you demean anyone who by choice or circumstance uses day care?

See? Other people use that word too.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
This guy is new to the job and company and NOW he's asking to change shifts? This is something he should have sorted out when he was interviewing for the job. "Yeah I'll take the job and money and then inconvenience someone once I'm in the door." Hell no. I don't think the KIDS are the issue here...it's the other guy's lack of planning.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
I am not oblivious to his plight, but if I was in his same situation I would suck it up and not ask that other people accomodate me.

Mostly though I just despise working late, and the traffic that comes with it. :(

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Brian HCM#1 said:
<snip> I just found it amusing that all most of the negativity was coming from the ones without children.
Actually, if you look closely, the negative comments are coming from *everyone* - not just those without kids. :think:

I think you went into reading this thread with some bias.

I have 3 kids and wouldn't pull that stuff.

Of course, I have a flexible job. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
MancilG said:
As someone that now has a kid maybe you should be a little more understanding about what someone has to do once they have a child. It's really hard people with kids today.
No it's not. People who have kids should sack up. People who don't have kids really *don't* have any responsibility in the matter.
If you don't want to give up your shift don't but maybe you could be a nice guy and offer some other suggestions.
This is excellent advice. :thumb:

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Tenchiro said:
I am not oblivious to his plight, but if I was in his same situation I would suck it up and not ask that other people accomodate me.
What if there was someone working the other shift that didn't mind swapping or even wanted to swap? Without asking he might never find out and could end up working an inconvient shift for no reason at all.

If he starts making a big stink because nobody will swap then he is being unreasonable, just asking is really the correct thing to do.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
ummbikes said:

God has nothing to do with it, really. If you want to follow this road you have to make *major* sacrifices.

And almost every family is capable of living on one salary (I realize there are some that can't) - it's just that most often a family can't stomach lowering their standard of living to do so. And that's their choice as well.

The "sub-contracting" thing did sound a bit self-righteous, though. :D

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
D_D said:
What if there was someone working the other shift that didn't mind swapping or even wanted to swap? Without asking he might never find out and could end up working an inconvient shift for no reason at all.

If he starts making a big stink because nobody will swap then he is being unreasonable, just asking is really the correct thing to do.

On the other hand (and I don't think I mentioned this). He was hired to cover a specific shift, due to the absence of another guy.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
bmxr said:
Sorry to hijack the thread! Start another one if you want to ummbikes, but I'm done here :)
Fair enough. I admire your stance, it was the dismissive nature of your original post that I was concerned with. My children's (a four year old in a kinderprep program and a six year old in after school care) day care facility is staffed by workers who have at least an A.A. in early childhood development and most have B.A. degrees. So they are qualified providers, could myself or my wife do better? Maybe, I did care for the girls while I was fiishing my degree, they most definately are getting better educations in the daycare and elementary school than I could provide.

This issue shouldn't be divisive, after all our children will all end up adults together and as long as we as parents are vigilant in their upbringing regardless of the technique than we have done our job.

In your case staying at home was best, and I really do admire your sacrafice in doing so.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
ummbikes said:
Fair enough. I admire your stance, it was the dismissive nature of your original post that I was concerned with. My children's (a four year old in a kinderprep program and a six year old in after school care) day care facility is staffed by workers who have at least an A.A. in early childhood development and most have B.A. degrees. So they are qualified providers, could myself or my wife do better? Maybe, I did care for the girls while I was fiishing my degree, they most definately are getting better educations in the daycare and elementary school than I could provide.

This issue shouldn't be divisive, after all our children will all end up adults together and as long as we as parents are vigilant in their upbringing regardless of the technique than we have done our job.

In your case staying at home was best, and I really do admire your sacrafice in doing so.

I'm with you on this, and it's sure going to make paying for college easier when both parents are able to work and save money.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Tenchiro said:
Mostly though I just despise working late, and the traffic that comes with it. :(
if i read yr post correctly, you'd get out @ 6:30. wouldn't that mean rushhour is subsiding? or does the west coast not do 8-5 as the 'regular' hours?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
robdamanii said:
I know around here, rush hour runs from 4-7:30 or so. It could be the same out there.
Here in L.A. some freeways are crowded all day. But rush hour is typically 4 - 7:30 as Rob said. Fridays it starts at 3.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Tenchiro works up north in the Seattle area: that means it is always rush hour, people can't drive and wreck their cars, and it is raining and dark at 4 p.m.

It sucks bad.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
robdamanii said:
I know around here, rush hour runs from 4-7:30 or so. It could be the same out there.
It is probably the same bout here, but at 4:00 it isn't too horrible yet and that is when I currently get off. 6:30 can be absolutely miserable.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
robdamanii said:
that was my point...if tenchiro has to shift his workday by a couple hours, i'd think his commute starts @ 4:30PM now. ie, no real difference.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:
that was my point...if tenchiro has to shift his workday by a couple hours, i'd think his commute starts @ 4:30PM now. ie, no real difference.
Let's be honest here... it's not so much about the traffic as it is about shafting the FNG!!! :thumb:

Hey try this one on for size... We just hired a new tech. I was one of the interviewers. I will have to help train him. Once he's trained up we do the same work. He will make more $$$ than me. :think: that ain't right.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Let's be realistic....The world's going to hell in a handbasket anyway, what's one more neurotic, OCD, maniac ax murderer. And I'm talking about myself.... Screw everyone for self-gain, it's the way of the world now. What!!!??? Value?!?!! Bah! All self-rightous arrogance!!

Tenny, make the dude pound sand.

That's what Jesus would do. And Jorge too!!:blah:
(I landscaped for awhile, you'll get it if you think about it long enough)