Quantcast

New handlebar?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The handlebar on my bike has some damage by the stem due to what looks like over tightening and it needs to be replaced. Plus the bar is a size too wide for my narrow shoulders.

This is what I currently have. I have only ridden the bar twice but like that it has several grip options especially the flat part in the bend:

Any suggestions to look at? I hate to have to throw out a nice bar like that and not have too much experience to base my decision on for a new bar.

Last edited:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
personally, I don't like that bar. I don't like the way it transitions from lever to bar...it's not flat and smooth.

as such, I recommend, and prefer, Easton's EA70 ($) or EC90 SLX3 ($$$$). both also have shorter reach, which I prefer.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
EC90 SLX3 ($$$$).
I have a teammate that put this bar on his cross bike, first race he slid out in a corner and it snapped. He didn't think he hit the ground very hard, but the bar broke. Since that happened I've been scared of that bar (even though I dig the looks/dimensions). Anyone else had/heard of any issues? Maybe it was a fluke

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I have a teammate that put this bar on his cross bike, first race he slid out in a corner and it snapped. He didn't think he hit the ground very hard, but the bar broke. Since that happened I've been scared of that bar (even though I dig the looks/dimensions). Anyone else had/heard of any issues? Maybe it was a fluke
A teammate of mine loves that bar. He has it on his cross bike as well as his roadie...no problems to speak of. I have a EC90 Aero, which I got instead of the SLX3 because of availability at the time I was building my bike.

The Aero($$$$$$+) isn't bad, but I find it puts a weird strain on my wrist when I wrap my hand around the tops, so I just 'hook' my hand over when on the tops (which isn't the safest). But the ergo bend of the drops may be to CBJ's liking.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I just got the 3T Ergosum Pro and like it really well for a short reach. I still prefer pro bends, so I will likely put my 3T Rotundo Pro on. I usually ride a Newton 31.7 Deep. I don't really like anatomic bars. I have a nearly new Easton SLX Equipe or whatever it is that I took off after 2 rides. Hate the alloy bar on the Tarmac Experts and Comps.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thank you for all the good suggestions and advice. There is no doubt that I need a bar with shorter reach and shallow drop as my arms are not the longest and I really like to tuck in and go low on the bar. If I can get the FACT warranty I think I will go for this bar

Shallow drop: 132mm drop x 78mm reach

I that does not work out I think one of the two Easton bars. I am actually really liking the shape SLX.

a.davis12

Chimp
May 25, 2009
im running 3T ergonova pros, great bend (shallow), lots of hand positions, stiff as **** and comfy.
made for narrower shoulders, but still comfy in a 44 c-c
oh and dirt cheap too.

Last edited:

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
@ CBJ, where in BK are you? I'm rolling laps in Prospect Park on the regular if you ever want to meet up.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sounds good it will be nice not to ride alone all the time. I live on 8th Avenue by 8th Street so I am right by the 9th Street entrance.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sold my XC bike today so I am going to go all out and get the Easton SLX. I have ridden the ergo bar enough not to like it plus the drop and reach is too much for me on the Specialized bar. Also ordered two set of bibs so the roadie transformation is in full swing :)