Quantcast

new headset

margam_man

Chimp
Jun 28, 2008
i got a new headset for Christmas but my head tube seems to be a bizarre size. i got a 1. 1/8" headset. what other sizes are there cos i thought there were only one. have i got a specialized head tube. some pics i took of said headset and my head tube.

cheers

margam_man

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
what brand is that frame?

It looks like it take internal bottom bracket cups. Or maybe a zero stack headset?

I would go to the frame manufacturer's web site to see what type of headset they used for that particular model. In fact, it looks as though the headset is already installed internally (at least on top of the headtube it does).

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
In fact, it looks as though the headset is already installed internally (at least on top of the headtube it does).
yeah, it looks like theres a cup already in there, judging from the pics.

and damn, those cane creeks have a lot of parts!

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
My friends have been through this problem before and what you have to do is measure your headtube in inches and call up chris king and see if they make the size you need because I know demo 8 from 2006 have a special size that chris king makes and so do other bikes so you might have to spend a pretty penny on the headset you need.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My friends have been through this problem before and what you have to do is measure your headtube in inches and call up chris king and see if they make the size you need because I know demo 8 from 2006 have a special size that chris king makes and so do other bikes so you might have to spend a pretty penny on the headset you need.
1", 1 1/4", 1 1/8" and 1.5" is all that king makes....and shhh, dont mention CK around here!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
What the heck are you talking about?

original poster - ignore this guy's post - it doesn't make sense.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
So these are sold at Halford's stores in the UK right? I'd go into a Halfords and ask to see if they can tell you if the headset is an internal headset or not.

Actually it states that it is a semi-integrated headset.

# Headset: Semi-Intergrated - Black

I'd check with Halford's and maybe they can order up a replacement for you.

Your Cane Creek won't work with that frame. Perhaps you can return it for a refund from the shop you bought it from and use that money to get the proper headset for your Carrera frame.

Last edited:

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
wow!! someone was on something when this was written. kinda reminds me of how Speedracer talked when he was all worked up!! LOL!!!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
That is a Zerostack Headset. 44mm ream. Nice enough. Giant, Ironhorse, Pivot are among other folks that use those.

Carrera has nothing to do with Kona, btw...