Quantcast

New helmet superstitsion

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I just got a new helmet. I know about the superstition where you're supposed to drop/scuff a new helmet. But I really don't want to. A lot of the price of a TLD helmet goes to the graphics and I want to keep it shiny and new as long as possible :)

Do you guys scuff your new helmets?

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
do it. I didn't drop my new trailbike and crashed on my first ride scuffing a lot of brand new stuff. I always drop my helmet, I don't do it from 10' though. ;) just far enough to appease the new equipment gods.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I didnt scuff my new carbon THE. I wrecked the same day and got knocked out. I scratch all my helmets now. :)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I usually just scratch mine when I crash, Im incorporating things so theres less to actually have to do on new stuff checklist.
A good crash usually scuffs several things all at once so I dont do it individually anymore!

I know TLD is eye candy as well but its just a helmet, Ive given up on trying to look good as I go down, theres nothing dignified about an adult flailing his arms all over grasping at air cartwheeling through the rocks... Nothing short of a 3-d image of a spiral to make that look even semi cool! :thumb:

Nice lid! TLDs fit really well...

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Nice lid! TLDs fit really well...
Yeah, I tried on pretty much all the major brands and the TLD was the only one that was actually comfortable for me. Plus I'm a big fan of the artwork on a lot of the TLD stuff.

If that is your actual helmet,Id slam it into the ground repeatedly and throw it into a cement mixer full of gravel and run it on "high" till all the paint comes off.

You'll never crash again,guaranteed.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
I scuffed my D-2 on a step down that knocked me out. You're going to crash regardless, why not scuff the $300 before you spend it?

SCARY

Not long enough
Yeah, I tried on pretty much all the major brands and the TLD was the only one that was actually comfortable for me. Plus I'm a big fan of the artwork on a lot of the TLD stuff.

I'm not hatin...my eyes just work.

Well,they did before you posted that picture.

I think the open face one looks good on you,though.
I ,personally wouldn't be smoking during my DH run,but you seem to pull it off.....and make it look good too!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My last shiny new helmet scuffed itself while I was lying upside down in a rock garden pinned under my bike. A buddy picked the bike up off me as I was holding my shiny new head off the ground.

As the bike came off, I just slid down the bank slowly and a big rock just gave me a good scraping. The rock gods were appeased at that point I guess.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Don't you know that riders with helmets with fancy (and expensive) paintjobs have less head injuries in comparison to those who wear plain helmets because they don't want to get it scratched up??? ;) :D

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Ok, I will never doubt this superstition EVER again. 1st time out with this helmet my riding felt a little off so I didnt really push it. 2nd time out we hit some dirt jumps. I jumped a 15' tabletop nearly to flat lost control and hit a tree. My leg and arm took most of the impact but my helmet got a little scuff on the visor. 3rd and 4th time out I felt 110% on the bike and was sending everything. So long story short, I'm scuffing all my new helmets from now on.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
lol sweet thread! My cousin let me borrow 1 of 4 new TLD lids last year, I didnt drop it since it wasnt mine. this is what happened while wearing it on the 2nd day at nationals... Sorry cuz!! haha

istratetm

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
lol sweet thread! My cousin let me borrow 1 of 4 new TLD lids last year, I didnt drop it since it wasnt mine. this is what happened while wearing it on the 2nd day at nationals... Sorry cuz!! haha

that happens when you case landings not when you forgot to drop a new helmet.