Quantcast

New here and needing advice

DavidM

Chimp
Jul 31, 2011
NW Arkansas
First off I'm new here I live in NW Arkansas and have been riding for around 6 months. I am currently in the market for a new bike and I have decided to go with a 29er hardtail since I really enjoy XC. Currently I have narrowed it down to the following bikes and I would like to get everyones suggestions since I still feel like I'm new to the mountain biking scene. Here's the current bikes I'm interested in:
-Trek X-Cal
-Diamondback Overdrive Pro
-Airborne Goblin
-Scott Scale 29 Elite
I've been reading, researching, and comparing bikes for components and quality for the price and how one brand compares to another etc. I am still waiting on the 2012 Scott line up but I recently learned about and have been greatly interested in the Airborne Goblin that I read in DirtRag. For the price it seems to be a great setup. I know it's an online bike but reviews have been promising. I know going with the Airborne will cause some minor "headaches" such as not buying from a local bike shop, their warranties, free adjustments etc. But to others those are minor over sights. So please let know what you think give me ur suggestions, comments, concerns, praises, whatever lmao. Thanks to everyone that responds

Toddre

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
Good Ole CT
All great bikes...I don't know much about the Scott, but the other three are solid rides.
The Trek is a really nice bike, but you can get similar for a much better price with the Overdrive and the Goblin...

ryzman

Chimp
Aug 23, 2011
i have zero issues with ordering online parts etc... the lbs here in my area are so overpriced and snobbish that i cant even stand going into those places....
however there is a shop that deals with used bikes and parts etc... sort of like a bike graveyard dismantler whatever and then they build cheap bikes for the public... anyway the guys are super knowledgeable and so helpful. also i can rent one of there bike stands and use their tools to work on my own ride for 3 bucks an hour... music is good and the guys are great + we can drink beer!
i wonder if there is more shops like this one scattered over the country.. there must be...
a really great bike shop in the reno area:
http://www.renobikeproject.com/

they even have the tools to face my bottom bracket and headset tubes after powder coating!!!!
sorry for the long post... im pretty long winded at times...
ummm ya dont have any reservations about ordering your bike online... i am totally done with them unless its an emergency part i need right away...

Last edited:

DavidM

Chimp
Jul 31, 2011
NW Arkansas
I decide to go with the 2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite. Bought this since te X-Cal was the same price at another LBS but it was a 2011 and he wouldn't work with me on a sale price. I believe I'm the first in Ark to have a Scott Scale 29 Elite. Thanks for the comments

Toddre

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
Good Ole CT
I decide to go with the 2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite. Bought this since te X-Cal was the same price at another LBS but it was a 2011 and he wouldn't work with me on a sale price. I believe I'm the first in Ark to have a Scott Scale 29 Elite. Thanks for the comments
Enjoy it! Let us know how it is...