Quantcast

new here.

djb5118

Chimp
Feb 19, 2008
hey guys,

I will be working in skillman, nj from june -december of this year, and I am a XC rider looking for some stuff to enjoy while I'm in Jersey.

I have a few questions since I don't know much about the riding scene in NJ.

Would I be able to ride my xc bike at Diablo (doubtful)?
Any trails in the area worth looking into?
If i do need a different bike, what would you guys suggest for entry level?

THANKS!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
for diablo you wont have fun on an XC bike if its even worth taking home after the beating it will get. i would say to buy one of diablofreeridepak's rental bikes. but there is XC in and around vernon. hopefully pinkshirt will chime in about that

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
yea im sure you can ride diablo on an XC, depends on your ridin level.

if your lookin into a entry DH bike i have a giant faith 2. 900 and its yours.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
yes i am. watch out.

no seriously you can ride an XC bike at diablo. you might not be able to go as fast, but you can ride XC bike there.

djb5118

Chimp
Feb 19, 2008
do you have pictures of the faith? i want to do some more research but i may be interested...

do they sell used rentals? what kind are they?

mtnbiker7

Monkey
May 22, 2007
New Jersey
for diablo you wont have fun on an XC bike if its even worth taking home after the beating it will get. i would say to buy one of diablofreeridepak's rental bikes. but there is XC in and around vernon. hopefully pinkshirt will chime in about that
you can buy a rental bike from diablo. I didnt pay much attention to the rental bikes when I went. Are they in good shape, how much can you buy one for.

mntbiker2

Monkey
Jun 30, 2007
you can buy a rental bike from diablo. I didnt pay much attention to the rental bikes when I went. Are they in good shape, how much can you buy one for.
fyi u can only buy rental bikes at the end of the season..or you can just talk to jamie usually there around a thousand or so

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
if your looking for fun riding in nj go to mtbnj.com/forum
they had a problem with hackers not to long ago so not sure if they will let you make an account, pm me if you cant.

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Kittatiny is a nice place to ride, its pretty small but fast and fun

I used my diamondback xsl 2 years ago and it was pretty fun. It was my first times at the park and it really set me up as far as what i was in for without getting a nice bike.

I never regretted blowing both shocks over my 3 trip tour.

I recommend it if you dont have a nicer bike

Might even take it back there this year

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Maybe just a little bit. Theres some easier trails there (upper/lower breakout, the one next to alpine, etc) that you could survive on with an XC bike if your a fairly decent rider and know how to handle a bike and control your speed. Things like body position, getting your weight back on the bike for the steeps, etc are all key.

djb5118

Chimp
Feb 19, 2008
word. well here's the deal. I am thinking of getting a season pass after a trip or two, since i will be in skillman from june-dec (prime bike season). So i figure it will give me something to do during the summer weekends and after work. As it stands now, I plan to get a DH bike assuming I enjoy it. So I am not as concerned about getting through it on an XC bike but riding it in general. Ive never really ridden much downhill, but I consider myself above average for XC. So I should be ok?

rossp

Chimp
Jul 26, 2007
word. well here's the deal. I am thinking of getting a season pass after a trip or two, since i will be in skillman from june-dec (prime bike season). So i figure it will give me something to do during the summer weekends and after work. As it stands now, I plan to get a DH bike assuming I enjoy it. So I am not as concerned about getting through it on an XC bike but riding it in general. Ive never really ridden much downhill, but I consider myself above average for XC. So I should be ok?
sure - just take it easy and don't go nuts your first time - I was an average XC rider before I went to diablo - scared the crap out of myself on some of the rocky trails when it was wet the first time I went (not a good day to try DH!) but there are plenty of less tech trails that you will be fine on. Highly recommend renting a bike there and giving the big bike a try - I rode it on my 5" trailbike and yes, you can ride it, but it makes a huge difference on the rougher trails to have a bigger bike. The XC bike will make it a lot less fun. Watch out though - it's addictive...I went from riding XC to an Intense M1 in just over a year...:cheers:

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Don't get rid of your XC bike, though- there's plenty of good XC around the Skillman area for after work rides on those long summer nights. Round Valley, Mercer County Park, Sourlands, Allaire, Hartshorne... plenty of good options that range from smooth and fast coastal trails to crazy rocky and steep typical NE singletrack.

Riding DH on the weekends is a blast. Weeknight XC rides keep the fitness up...

IAMAPRO

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
haha this place sounds rough, am i getting in over my head?

Aside from Yushoreks and jbod's advice, most of the information here is about Pinkshirts goats, foxroxs sister, and dirttastsegood love for the other two. Although the school children are fun to listen to, it takes forever to filter through the pointless posts they seem to blurp out.

Most of the good advice is from a mature audience over at www.mtbnj.com -

You could also visit:
http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75
but there isnt much traffic over there.

edit: and jcook seems slightly relevant and constructive.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
I thought my post was slightly relevant and constructive.

haha, evan.

Haha, Evan? What's that supposed to mean? I ride both Downhill & yes you can also see me on an XC ride when im not at Diablo. I keep it real, no skintights for XC riding. There is plenty of XC trails around Northern Jersey, like people have stated before, use www.mtbnj.com then go to Home for the complete list of trail areas all around Jersey. The closest XC park to Diablo would be Waywayanda.

mntbiker2

Monkey
Jun 30, 2007
Haha, Evan? What's that supposed to mean? I ride both Downhill & yes you can also see me on an XC ride when im not at Diablo. I keep it real, no skintights for XC riding. There is plenty of XC trails around Northern Jersey, like people have stated before, use www.mtbnj.com then go to Home for the complete list of trail areas all around Jersey. The closest XC park to Diablo would be Waywayanda.
waywayanda SUCKS!...just thought i'd let you know :monkeydance:

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
waywayanda SUCKS!...just thought i'd let you know :monkeydance:
please remove the gerbil from your ass. wawayanda features some of the finest riding in new jersey. you can have more fun in that state park then diablow could ever offer. diablow may have rock gardens but wawayanda has rock fields. you can get twisty singletrack threw pine trees, or steep climbs and equally steep descents. also many lakes and ponds to take a swim mid ride..... ide like to see diablow do that :monkey:

mntbiker2

Monkey
Jun 30, 2007
please remove the gerbil from your ass. wawayanda features some of the finest riding in new jersey. you can have more fun in that state park then diablo could ever offer. diablo may have rock gardens but wawayanda has rock fields. you can get twisty singletrack threw pine trees, or steep climbs and equally steep descents. also many lakes and ponds to take a swim mid ride..... ide like to see diablo do that :monkey:
rock gardens rock fields same thing!,you dont have to take the lift up at diablo you can bike up therefor that gives you a steep climb and once you come down you can find some single track and once you get all hott and sticky you can jump in the lake by the start of the dh courses...ha :monkey:

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
I love how everyone thinks Wawayanda sucks & in actuality it does if you don't know your way around.

If you do know where you're going though, it has some of the best single track around.

I can't believe I agreed with PS about something, I feel dirty & cheap now...

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
IF I WAS TRYING I COULD HAVE GOTTEN A TWO MINUTE TIME! I AM WAY FASTER THAN JURGEN, AND I DID A HUUUGE 360 OVER THE ROAD GAP!!!!-Retarded Evan from platty