Quantcast

New Hitchens book...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yeah, I see how you might be a member of the choir, based on other threads, haha.

I've read a bit about it and saw him on the Daily Show. I think he's mostly a tool and his book is probably "not great." That's just me, though. :biggrin:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
He's also a drunk. Having said that, he is nothing if not an amazing writer (something which being a drunk seems to help with, actually.)

"The Missionary Position" should be what the dictionary definition of polemic points to...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I do like Hitchens, but I always find him to be a little problematic. He's as full of crap sometimes as the people he attacks. But I like reading him, all the same.

Gonna skip this book, though. Sounds like he's just collected the obvious arguments about religion that any pissed-off high school kid in a trenchcoat would write in the back of his notebook during study hall. (Not that I'd know, of course.)

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Gonna skip this book, though. Sounds like he's just collected the obvious arguments about religion that any pissed-off high school kid in a trenchcoat would write in the back of his notebook during study hall. (Not that I'd know, of course.)
Are there any arguments for religion that aren't high school level though?