Quantcast

New home bling questions...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
so i guess AC for the house is a lousy idea too? and those pesky water pipes? think of the leaks.

i dig the central vac, personally.

BV, for cat 6 cabling what's the intended use? for normal networking and audio streaming, my class B stuff worked fine for the most part and my G stuff rocks. i would think it's cheaper to put in a router and/or repeater if necessary, rather than running cable. will N8's market look to stream video from a central media server to other locations?
HVAC ducts are not in the walls. Mine are all in the ceiling and accessible via the huge attic space. Water pipes are a whole other issue. The only times I've had problems is when my trim carpenter shoots a nail into it when putting up the base board and it takes about 9 months to rust the nail out. :dead:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Jeremy R said:
Hey N8, or anybody else who knows the answer to this.
We are putting in hard wood floors in our house, and we were going to do ceramic tile in the kitchen. Well, we are having second thoughts on the tile, and we were wondering if the price would be about the same to do hardwood throughout. Since the hardwood floor crew will already be there, it seems it would come out close to the same price all together including the labor right? I know this is a general question with variables, but does anybody know about this?

Also, woo hoo, after MANY delays, our framers started today.:)
All I can tell you is that my flooring installer has several lines of good wood laminate I can install for the some price as tile. After living with wood in the kitchen for the last year, there is NO WAY I will install tile in another home I build unless the customer wants it.

I like the laminate over the wood because it has no gain to open and close and doesn't require any maintence and always looks fantastic! Plus it comes with a 25 year warrenty.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
binary visions said:
On top of the cost of a house? To install it with cash out of their pocket, I'd say no way. To add it to the already very significant cost of the house, spending an extra buck a month on their mortgage is a pretty tiny piece of the pie.

Especially when you take into account things like most computers come stock with ethernet cards, but not with wireless cards - no additional hardware to buy. Wired networks are inherently secure vs. some guy who thinks his neighbor can read his credit card data off the wireless network with an antenna strapped to a blender or something (the wireless network can be set up as secure, but it takes additional steps and passwords to remember).

I just think the $1000 is pretty much invisible to the customer and the advantages exist, regardless of whether or not the customer takes advantage of them.
I am the only builder in my market who spends the extra grand to do this. I could easily not do it and pocket an extra $1G. However, I look at it like this; this house is going to be around for decades and computers are going to be a part of our lives for the foreseeable future. It is A LOT easier for me to install this stuff with the walls exposed than it will be later when the home owner wants it. Maybe the first owner will never use it, but eventually someone will and it will already be there.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
HVAC ducts are not in the walls. Mine are all in the ceiling and accessible via the huge attic space. Water pipes are a whole other issue. The only times I've had problems is when my trim carpenter shoots a nail into it when putting up the base board and it takes about 9 months to rust the nail out. :dead:
for a 2 storey house, how do you run the return ducts on the lower floor if it's got no basement?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
for a 2 storey house, how do you run the return ducts on the lower floor if it's got no basement?

Ceiling... between the joists and trusses.... never have had to run them in a wall yet.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
I am the only builder in my market who spends the extra grand to do this. I could easily not do it and pocket an extra $1G. However, I look at it like this; this house is going to be around for decades and computers are going to be a part of our lives for the foreseeable future. It is A LOT easier for me to install this stuff with the walls exposed than it will be later when the home owner wants it. Maybe the first owner will never use it, but eventually someone will and it will already be there.
the 1st owner of our house ran monster cable in the walls of one room for his stereo system. too bad his idea of stereo/speaker placement was nowhere close to mine, so they remain unused.

if you are talking about accessibility and wiring for the future, you'd almost be better off allowing for a small closet/cabinet for all the TV and other entertainment components, which is accessible to the interconnects etc.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
Ceiling... between the joists and trusses.... never have had to run them in a wall yet.
so the supplies and return registers are both ceiling mounted? not the best design for airflow efficiency, eh?

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
narlus said:
what system do you use? am curious about the 'inexpensive' claim.

the downside of that is reduced hot water capacity.

N8, the suggestion of an undermount, deep kitchen sink is a great one. this is definitely a great thing to have.

also, deep kitchen cabinets which pull out like drawers are very good for storing pots and pans. much better than traditional doored cabinets.
How does electric floor heating work?
A thin electric mat installed in thinset cement, controlled by a thermostat, will cost only about $500-to-$700 for an average size bathroom or about $1,000-to-$1,500 for an average size kitchen, and will operate on less than 20 cents of electricity a day. Conceptually, these products are very similar to electric blankets. They are safe and very easy to install.

The products available on the market are very similar, but after trying several manufacturers, i would recommend WarmlyYours because their roll is very easy to install and the company provides extensive support services for the DIYer. You can also visit Nuheat and Delta-Therm if you want to compare your options.

I have installed Nu-Heat in projects I did in Chicago and am planning this for my own pesonal custom home...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Have you ever thought of offering cork flooring? We just put it in and I love it. It's warmer then having hardwood floors and wayyyyy easier to install (as it is click together). It's one of the few renewable flooring resources out there too.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
You can also reduce the cost be only installing on the actual main footpath of a room and by running it on a timer switch,

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
the 1st owner of our house ran monster cable in the walls of one room for his stereo system. too bad his idea of stereo/speaker placement was nowhere close to mine, so they remain unused.

if you are talking about accessibility and wiring for the future, you'd almost be better off allowing for a small closet/cabinet for all the TV and other entertainment components, which is accessible to the interconnects etc.
For the home theater/audio cables, I have them pulled through the walls and then leave them coiled in the attic attached to a rafter jack. That way the home owner can pull them to where ever they are needed.

Componet closet is a good idea, but not in my market. :(

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
amydalayna said:
Have you ever thought of offering cork flooring? We just put it in and I love it. It's warmer then having hardwood floors and wayyyyy easier to install (as it is click together). It's one of the few renewable flooring resources out there too.
and you can post notes to yourself on the floor!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
so the supplies and return registers are both ceiling mounted? not the best design for airflow efficiency, eh?

This is a very common practice here. I've discussed this on several occations with various hvac contractors and the people at the Sate of La HERO (energy efficiency office) and it doesn't make as big a difference as you would think it would.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
amydalayna said:

No, but I would LOVE to see some bamboo flooring at a reasonable cost!

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
N8 said:
This is a very common practice here. I've discussed this on several occations with various hvac contractors and the people at the Sate of La HERO (energy efficiency office) and it doesn't make as big a difference as you would think it would.
I am not a big fan of returns on the ceiling but it does keep alot of the heavier stuff out of the filter so you filter stays cleaner and your lungs do the filtering.......

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MunkeeHucker said:
How does electric floor heating work?
A thin electric mat installed in thinset cement, controlled by a thermostat, will cost only about $500-to-$700 for an average size bathroom or about $1,000-to-$1,500 for an average size kitchen, and will operate on less than 20 cents of electricity a day. Conceptually, these products are very similar to electric blankets. They are safe and very easy to install.
aye, for a new home it's not a big deal as you are open to the floor anyway, but for a retrofit, not so easy (esp if you are on the 2nd floor). our radiant heating is via tubing; it's drawn off the hot water heater as a separate circuit, and there's a manifold for supply and return. it's regulated via the outside air temp; you can adjust the flowrate of the pump as well.

the tubing sits inside a wood template (the path was cut by a router?) and then dur-roc is put over it. then the tile.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MunkeeHucker said:
I am not a big fan of returns on the ceiling but it does keep alot of the heavier stuff out of the filter so you filter stays cleaner and your lungs do the filtering.......

The thing I am not crazy about is that it makes it that much more inconvenient to change the filter... and with a 9' or 10' ceiling, a ladder is required.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
i bet it's a common practice because there's no other choice!

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
narlus said:
aye, for a new home it's not a big deal as you are open to the floor anyway, but for a retrofit, not so easy (esp if you are on the 2nd floor). our radiant heating is via tubing; it's drawn off the hot water heater as a separate circuit, and there's a manifold for supply and return. it's regulated via the outside air temp; you can adjust the flowrate of the pump as well.

the tubing sits inside a wood template (the path was cut by a router?) and then dur-roc is put over it. then the tile.
oh no, the Nu-Heat is super easy you just put it down before you retile much easier than radiant heat....
The Nuheat Story

Pre-built like an electric blanket, the Nuheat floor warming system is an electrical radiant floor warming system. The Nuheat system provides warm floors and soothing comfort that keeps tile, stone, laminate and engineered wood surfaces at a just-right temperature. Nuheat is perfect for master bathrooms, kitchens, entryways, mudrooms and even for granite countertops.

Nuheat is the leader in radiant floor heating systems. Our floor warming system offers affordable luxury and barefoot comfort that any homeowner can enjoy. Our radiant floor heating system is easy to zone it can be placed in the rooms you wish to enjoy warm floors as opposed to every room in the home. Each comfort zone allows homeowners to maximize energy efficiency, reduce utility costs, while enjoying warm floors in the rooms where homeowners are spending their time.

The Nuheat Advantages:

Pre-built: No loose wires or complex calculations needed. Nuheat mats can fit any room regardless of shape or size.
The easiest floor warming system to install.
Industry leading warranty.
Local Service: The only direct manufacturer's sales force in the industry.
Full-time design team.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
i bet it's a common practice because there's no other choice!
You have to have room in a wall for the return or have a closet mounted furnace/A-coil. Nearly all new construction has horitzonal hvac units in the attic.. and the water heaters....

Besides no one wants to give up the square footage in the house at $110 per ft for a return closet.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
N8 said:
Besides no one wants to give up the square footage in the house at $110 per ft for a return closet.
My folks have a return closet in their garage. I swear it is the easiest access ever. Just open the door and there is easy access to the filter and the overflow pan if necessary.

There house is older. I didnt even ask where my AC filter is on my new house. :rolleyes:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
N8 said:
And here, you would have an under-your-house-indoor swimming pool... :p
When I first contemplated moving to NC I was all excited about a possible basement. I was a little disappointed that they are not that prevalent in the Charlotte area. (I am not complaining) But they are more the exception then the rule.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not sure about the cost but I am seeing a lot of poured concrete counter tops in newer places, that shizz is pretty cool. Tile counters belong in Mexico.

Wood floors, but I can't say I'm crazy about most of the laminates.

Bike room/creative space with a sink and maybe some built-in storage.

Billiards room with lots of single malt and a dartboard.

More glass, post and beam, less drywall.

Those cool showers that shoot water at you from 8 directions.

Pool/hot tub.

Wine cellar.

Wine fridge.

Kegerator with Turbo Tap.

Wood fired oven/rotisserie built into the hearth area.

Built-in grill and another wood oven outside, along with a fire pit.

Horseshoe pit. :p

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
OGRipper said:
Not sure about the cost but I am seeing a lot of poured concrete counter tops in newer places, that shizz is pretty cool. Tile counters belong in Mexico.

Wood floors, but I can't say I'm crazy about most of the laminates.

Bike room/creative space with a sink and maybe some built-in storage.

More glass, post and beam, less drywall.

Pool/hot tub.

Wine cellar.

Wine fridge.

Kegerator with Turbo Tap.

Wood fired oven/rotisserie built into the hearth area.

Built-in grill and another wood oven outside, along with a fire pit.

Horseshoe pit. :p
What?! No playboy bunnies?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
N8 said:
No, but I would LOVE to see some bamboo flooring at a reasonable cost!
We looked at bamboo and cork. I've heard good and bad about the bamboo. Some say that it can have some seperation. Not sure how true that is, but it scared me away enough to not want it. That, and I was looking at something easy to install. The oak was a pain in the rooms we put it in so we decided to put cork in the living room. the color and feel is very warm.

For reasonable flooring prices you should check out http://www.lumberliquidators.com/

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OGRipper said:
from what i've heard though is that you need to ensure you get a guy who's got good experience. it's a fairly new construction form (at least for a countertop application). you can dye it any color you want though.

we looked @ lavastone for about 10 seconds until we found out the cost. :dead:

looks neat though.

OGRipper said:
when we first moved into our house, we had to make a decision about what to do w/ the 'formal living room' area...buy a couch/loveseat/table and never use it, or take the $ and buy a pool table. an easy decision, really.

OGRipper said:
the hidden cost there is hot water/boiler capacity. you'll probably drain yr hot water supply in 4 minutes w/ all the jets on 'stun' setting.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
the hidden cost there is hot water/boiler capacity. you'll probably drain yr hot water supply in 4 minutes w/ all the jets on 'stun' setting.
Can't you get good on-demand hot water heaters these days? I've heard they rock and are more energy efficient...?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
High ceiling garage to accomodate a car lift. A friend has one in his garage.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
N8 said:
Question:

Tile countertops or laminate (Formica)???

I personally HATE tile, and there are some really cool modern laminates. However, do most of you percieve tile as an 'upgrade?'
Only from a distance. Having 'cared' for a tile top, I'd choose a synthetic 'smooth' version anyday.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
tile mub room tile kitchen and bath tile counter tops (i have em and they clean as hell if you use the little clorox pen on em)uhhhh definately a big deck, doesnt matter if it is tall or low. you could have it as an option and call it an "entertaining deck" decks are key.

a double head shower in the master is real cool as are recessed ceilings in the master.

laminate flooring sucks. doesnt last. looks like..well....uhhhh fake wood flooring. either give em a real wood floor upgrade or leave em with carpet and tile.

built in shelving upgrade for the closets would sell nicely to the ladies.

formica is cool stuff for a retro styled kitchen but otherwise go with marble or tile.

you can do an upgrade option for different fixture sets including the lights, ceiling fans and whatnot.

whirlpool tub in the master.

sky lights for the living area.

heated garage and an addition could be a heated storage building/shop. they are cheap to uild and go up quick.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
granite floors with marble chunks.
real hardwood floors.
porcellanato floors.
"mamparas" or whatever they are in english. those windows/doors that go from floor to roof instead of a wall.
walk-in closets.
dicroic (sp?) lightining.