Quantcast

New home bling questions...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
As most of you know I have a little home building biz I run.

My basic stock home comes with the following:

Ceramic tile in the baths and laundry rooms (tile is always at least 14" and usually 18").

Stainless steel GE Profile appliances (stove is a smoothtop-no coil burners here).

Prewired for home theater and 4 zones of audio (master/kitchen/dining/back patio)

Two phone & cable/networking jacks per bedroom

Ceramic tile or wood laminate in kitchen

Whirlpool tub in master bath suite

14 SEER air conditioner

Large crown and base molding​

My only 'upgrades' are;

Granite counter tops with unde mounted sink in kitchen

Fully sodded back yard

Fenced back yard

Stainless matching frig

Audio/Video components​

What other items do you look for in an average priced new home in your area (except view-we don't have any)... :p

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The average home where I live would also have the options of a chicken coop, car on blocks, appliances on the front porch and a still.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BigMike said:
Thats a good one:)

Zoned A/C (upstairs downstairs)
Center Cooking isle in the kitchen (if there is room)
Garage?

Bike room :D
Center cookin islands sound good in theory... but are pretty damn messy in real life.

2 car... no room for a 3. :(

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
What are your flooring options?

I'd say laminate (Pergo) would be an upgrade over carpet, and those cool prefinished hardwoods would be an upgrade over laminate.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Andyman_1970 said:
What are your flooring options?

I'd say laminate (Pergo) would be an upgrade over carpet, and those cool prefinished hardwoods would be an upgrade over laminate.

Flooring is a frizze carpet... (budget $25/sq_yard with a 6lbs pad). Laminate runs $8.00 sq_ft.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Question:

Tile countertops or laminate (Formica)???

I personally HATE tile, and there are some really cool modern laminates. However, do most of you percieve tile as an 'upgrade?'

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Having just gone through this. I was very impressed with M/I homes specs and upgrade list.

Hardwood floors throughout the common areas is VERY nice and is probably the most noticeable "wow" feature to my new home.

I also would have paid for fencing.

Depending on the elevation a wood deck would be a great option.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Crashby said:
I suppose some attractive landscaping in the front could be bling-ish...

Landscaping allowance is $1000. This pretty much gets you some basic landscape and a fully sodded front yard.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
N8 said:
Question:

I personally HATE tile, and there are some really cool modern laminates. However, do most of you percieve tile as an 'upgrade?'
Aren't tile countertops a pain in the butt to clean???

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Having just gone through this. I was very impressed with M/I homes specs and upgrade list.

Hardwood floors throughout the common areas is VERY nice and is probably the most noticeable "wow" feature to my new home.

Is it glued to the slab wood flooring or a 'floating' laminate?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DaveW said:
higher grade sound insulation on the bedrooms?....double glazed on tose windows maybe?

Yes, double glazed windows are standard already. I also insulate the interior walls of the master bed room and the laundry room.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
N8 said:
Question:

I prefer tiles... but then there is always the risk of chipping them... or the grout looks horrible after a year from stains

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

Do you see wood as a clear up grade to tile floors?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
N8 said:
Yes, double glazed windows are standard already. I also insulate the interior walls of the master bed room and the laundry room.
I would also say a premium insulation package would be nice too.....mondo insulation in the attic and all the "bling" insulation stuff you can do to the foundation/crawlspace (if there is much).

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
N8 (a bit off topic) - you mentioned on a previous house theread you use cement fiberboard siding (I think)........what your cost per sq foot on that......I'm researching siding options for our current house that is in sore need of new siding.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
hooples3 said:
wood floors are the way to go!!!!! nothing beats them. tile in the entry rooms/mudroom

This has been my trend lately. I can get a good laminate installed for the same cost as tile and after living with laminate in my own home I love it!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Andyman_1970 said:
N8 (a bit off topic) - you mentioned on a previous house theread you use cement fiberboard siding (I think)........what your cost per sq foot on that......I'm researching siding options for our current house that is in sore need of new siding.

That is called Hardee Board. I highly recommend it in our moist local.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
first off, ditch the network cabling cat 6/ethernet stuff...wireless is here to stay. you could also do this w/ the home audio (www.slimdevices.com is awesome, money well spent i'd say).

what do you offer for lighting options? a monorail over the island would be great, esp if you have the ceiling height for it (the reason we ditched on that idea for our house; the 8' ceiling would have made it look dumb).

not a fan of the pergo stuff; pre-finished wood looks a lot better imo.

do people really spec tile countertops? sounds dumb to me.

how about central vacuum?