Quantcast

New Honda RN01 at Keystone bike park?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Me in a small group of those who can't understand what's so hot about this bike.

Derailleur in a box "gearbox" has been developed by more companies. Actually Czech small company RaceBike did also patented it, but probably in Czech rep. only.
I would expect some super light planetary gearbox derived from their moto gearboxes, at least. Not a derailluer.
Hey!, Derek Lahr invented and made functional prototype of CVT gearbox for his bike. One smart student, with support of his parents. What did Honda in MTB with multimilion $ support?

I'm gonna repeat myself again. The full carbon DH bike made by guy, who some of you hate here, has not been surpassed yet, imo.
I'd love to see Honda develop the origonal idea of a CVT, maybe they should just employ Derek Lahr.
I was with the guy "who some of you hate here"AKA LAHAR at the worlds in NZ in the 1950s crappy caravan he hired, he changed the cables, and fluid in the Lahar that had just come back from a season racing over seas. We sat there, chatting, drinking, while the Honda crew next door in their massive tent with their mega budget outfit and aprox ten or more staff, dissassembled the Hondas I'm guessing after every time they went out, as they should with such a budget.
The Lahar won what I believe was the first ever WC for a gearbox bike(JNRs), and possibly carbon bike, and definately first gararge built bike.
Hate on, but I know what bike I'd rather see evolve. Lahar just needed different geo options for me, oh, and of cause a lighter 7spped gearbox, preferably by Rohloff. But as I said above, CTV would probably be most ideal.
Hmmm, would be great if Lahr and Lahar joined forces, oh and someone to fund it and manage it.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
http://dirt.mpora.com/news/hot-news-honda-dh-bike-spotted.html

I'd love to know who radodhr is. Funny he could just wonder up to a bike that honda were always mega possessive of and take high res photos with no one around.

DW-esq pre release marketing hype development anyone?
Jeebus...the e-emotions run high and devoid of all common sense. I hate to break your honda revival party but....

I don't know radodhr either, but doesn't that fact that he could almost swipe the bike from their front porch tell you something?

Seriously, I was there too. There is nothing about that crew that said Honda or sweet technology or super secret product testing...besides that big bus that happened to say Honda. Seriously, they were all American looking (fat and out of shape) and old. Like they were rich folks taking their kids out to Keystone. That's pretty much the best description of the people that I saw as they rolled in and were trying to find out if they could even park that huge monstrosity in that small lot, so close to the lift. At least they knew where the "cool" lot was, I'll give 'em that.

If it where Honda I'd expect them to be as far away from the lift as possible, lots of Asian doods (or at least foreign), tight security, and definitely not talking about BBQing and making margaritas or have a very obvious different brand bicycle in the immediate vicinity. Know what I mean? Doesn't make sense. Don't make me use the Chubaca theory/defense! (South Park reference for those who missed it)

Take it for what it is: An old Honda bike that someone (my guess is from the Honda moto world) got their hands on and still have. They were probably going thru CO and decided to stop at Keystone to ride. Can that be so hard to imagine?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Jeebus...the e-emotions run high and devoid of all common sense. I hate to break your honda revival party but....

I don't know radodhr either, but doesn't that fact that he could almost swipe the bike from their front porch tell you something?

Seriously, I was there too. There is nothing about that crew that said Honda or sweet technology or super secret product testing...besides that big bus that happened to say Honda. Seriously, they were all American looking (fat and out of shape) and old. Like they were rich folks taking their kids out to Keystone. That's pretty much the best description of the people that I saw as they rolled in and were trying to find out if they could even park that huge monstrosity in that small lot, so close to the lift. At least they knew where the "cool" lot was, I'll give 'em that.

If it where Honda I'd expect them to be as far away from the lift as possible, lots of Asian doods (or at least foreign), tight security, and definitely not talking about BBQing and making margaritas or have a very obvious different brand bicycle in the immediate vicinity. Know what I mean? Doesn't make sense. Don't make me use the Chubaca theory/defense! (South Park reference for those who missed it)

Take it for what it is: An old Honda bike that someone (my guess is from the Honda moto world) got their hands on and still have. They were probably going thru CO and decided to stop at Keystone to ride. Can that be so hard to imagine?
Or they did act casual because they knew we would think like that :tinfoil:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Thanks for the clarification, man I really butchered it, didn't I? Shoulda ran Star Wars Spell Check on that. Is there an app for that? ;)

I guess there is still a chance that the rno1 could be on the comeback. But from what I saw, it leads me to believe Honda Japan isn't heading up the project.

Carry on the e-speculation!

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .

You may be right..............but damn you for killing our fantasies ;)

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Not at all.....having the inside track in the industry you're working is nice, i.e. how sweet would it be to rock one of those pimped Carbon V10's all summer?

J

Last edited:

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
So all of you who hate it would refuse a chance to ride it? Whatever...
Well, I can't speak for the rest of the haters. But for me, if I had a chance to ride all of the DH bikes out there I wouldn't pick this one first. It might make the top 10, but certainly not the top 5. And I most definitely wouldn't consider buying one it it's current state.

Again, even though I'm a hater and don't consider buying anything Honda makes, I would love to see them put the effort into developing this and the gearbox.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I'll just skip to the last page and post my e-speculation... pm'ed silentk on mtbr earlier with this message:

I asked one of the guys hanging around the bus, he said they are testing and may race it next year. I briefly met the Honda rider (riding with another rider on the Tomac) loading up the chair and we both ended up riding Milky>HSD>Jam Rock for a bit... he was pretty quick. :)

I also think it looks like the old Honda bike, and it could be they are testing the gearbox or something on the old frame or the new frame looks a lot like the old one, I have no idea... should've gotten a pic....

It's nice someone got a pic, I forgot my camera.

2 weeks earlier I got to parking lot test the new '11 Demo at Keystone too, the demo was for industry so I didn't get to take it out, but it is low and the sus is very progressive. It looks good too....

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I'm pretty sure they let MinGNAR hang on to his, I saw a picture of his garage/ bike collection one time and he still had every bike he had ever ridden... including the Honda RN01.
Mr Min has his, that was my photo of it along with his Haro and Orange 222 from just over a year ago. Its still there today, unless Greg moved it since last week. Rumor has it that its the most stable, controlled suspension platform of any bike out there(coming from a guy who was never paid a cent by Honda). Gregs' comments as I recall from a conversation I had with him after moving to Santa Cruz were that the gearbox made cornering much easier and controlled and he was having trouble getting used to the conventional derailer on the v10.

I always was of the opinion that the Honda was far too small for Greg, it just never looked right in person. It seemed like he was on top of the bike, kinda like a bmxer but hey, what do I know?

I'm going to join the fanboys here and put my name down for one if the ever sell it, even if I have to wait a few years before I can afford a second hand one.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Thanks for the clarification, man I really butchered it, didn't I? Shoulda ran Star Wars Spell Check on that. Is there an app for that? ;)

I guess there is still a chance that the rno1 could be on the comeback. But from what I saw, it leads me to believe Honda Japan isn't heading up the project.

Carry on the e-speculation!
So you're saying the Asian division refuses to eat BBQ or drink margaritas, are on a strict diet and never saw South Park?:confused:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I def. saw no Japanese people there, would've been really low key if it wasn't for the huge Honda bus. If they are going to race a bike next year I wonder if it's going to be an all-out WC effort or something smaller?

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
I'd love to see Honda develop the origonal idea of a CVT, maybe they should just employ Derek Lahr.
I was with the guy "who some of you hate here"AKA LAHAR at the worlds in NZ in the 1950s crappy caravan he hired, he changed the cables, and fluid in the Lahar that had just come back from a season racing over seas. We sat there, chatting, drinking, while the Honda crew next door in their massive tent with their mega budget outfit and aprox ten or more staff, dissassembled the Hondas I'm guessing after every time they went out, as they should with such a budget.
The Lahar won what I believe was the first ever WC for a gearbox bike(JNRs), and possibly carbon bike, and definately first gararge built bike.
Hate on, but I know what bike I'd rather see evolve. Lahar just needed different geo options for me, oh, and of cause a lighter 7spped gearbox, preferably by Rohloff. But as I said above, CTV would probably be most ideal.
Hmmm, would be great if Lahr and Lahar joined forces, oh and someone to fund it and manage it.
06- Cam Cole , Rotorua ???

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Mr Min has his, that was my photo of it along with his Haro and Orange 222 from just over a year ago. Its still there today, unless Greg moved it since last week. Rumor has it that its the most stable, controlled suspension platform of any bike out there(coming from a guy who was never paid a cent by Honda). Gregs' comments as I recall from a conversation I had with him after moving to Santa Cruz were that the gearbox made cornering much easier and controlled and he was having trouble getting used to the conventional derailer on the v10.

I always was of the opinion that the Honda was far too small for Greg, it just never looked right in person. It seemed like he was on top of the bike, kinda like a bmxer but hey, what do I know?

I'm going to join the fanboys here and put my name down for one if the ever sell it, even if I have to wait a few years before I can afford a second hand one.
That's the exact photo I was thinking of when I wrote that. Do you remember where it was? Stoked that Minaar still has it, I just remember the old bikes being very loud ala Foes.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Hate to rain on your parade, an feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but. I'm pretty sure that CVT's are now illegal under uci rules????

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Hate to rain on your parade, an feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but. I'm pretty sure that CVT's are now illegal under uci rules????
Bummer, not sure if they'd be the go anyway. Up down shifters on each side of the bars might be better.
UCI killing progress again:mad: Sponsored by Sram or Shimanno?LOL. Are they working for the sport, or......

Last edited:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
I believe its the infinite number of selectable gear ratios that is illegal, not the actual CVT mechanisms, Honda got round this by having 9 gears on the original CVT design.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I wonder if it was banned because Honda patented the **** out of it so no other brands could use it.
I wonder if the whole Honda bike wasjust made to patent a lot of gearbox possabilities to keep DH less advanced to not hurt moto sales.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
I wonder if it was banned because Honda patented the **** out of it so no other brands could use it.
I wonder if the whole Honda bike wasjust made to patent a lot of gearbox possabilities to keep DH less advanced to not hurt moto sales.
Now there's a conspiracy theory if I ever heard one!:tinfoil:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
The UCI ruling predates the Honda bike, Transcend would be the best person to ask about the specifics, but if my memory serves me correctly the original design (the very first one, not the one shown a few pages back) was automatic and had an infinite number of gears, hence the ban.

As regards the patent, there are a few very similar patents that also predate the Honda patent, in fact i'm surprised it was awarded to them. If they wanted to keep gearboxes out of MTB they would only have to own the patent, actually building the bike/gearbox wouldn't be essential.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The UCI ruling predates the Honda bike, Transcend would be the best person to ask about the specifics, but if my memory serves me correctly the original design (the very first one, not the one shown a few pages back) was automatic and had an infinite number of gears, hence the ban.

As regards the patent, there are a few very similar patents that also predate the Honda patent, in fact i'm surprised it was awarded to them. If they wanted to keep gearboxes out of MTB they would only have to own the patent, actually building the bike/gearbox wouldn't be essential.
There were a number of factors that made Honda jump into the MTB field and test it out.
1. Way Cheaper than anything else they were doing.
2. The suspension could translate very well into MX.
3. Crazy legislators are actually considering the banning of motorized two wheel vehicles. So it could replace that market that would shrink. I believe this bill only applies to public land such as Parks but not sure it is still on the table at this point.
4. THE SUSPENSION WAS A MAIN REASON AND THATS COMING FROM A SHOWA ENGINEER.

But who knows :shocked: