Quantcast

New Hope Pro 5 hubs, to shut up the "I can't ride without 11-billionty POE" crowd:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
The Ebike version looks interesting for the thicker legged of us…steel freehub body and all 6 pawls engaged constantly. If you’re not that fussed in total engagement it seems like a more robust choice.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Ebike version looks interesting for the thicker legged of us…steel freehub body and all 6 pawls engaged constantly. If you’re not that fussed in total engagement it seems like a more robust choice.
Steel freehub bodies are a good idea for heavier use (and shimano cassettes).

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
There's no real reason for an Emtb to need a steel freehub body so long as the freehub was well designed in the first place.
6 pawls engaging simultaneously should spread the load/wear better but if any bike needs MOAR points of engagement it's an Ebike as they have a freewheel in the crank to overcome as well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Steel freehub bodies are a good idea for heavier use (and shimano cassettes).
I drove my Shimano cassette about 5 degrees relative to the aluminum DT freehub’s slot on my acoustic commuter. Steel for me.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
6 pawls engaging simultaneously should spread the load/wear better
this was the most interesting aspect for me. I used to destroy pawls on the regular, which was what prompted me to switch to a King hub. Haven't had any issues since purchasing that hub. But I probably won't be able to use it on my next bike - it's 135. Given the price of bikes nowadays, I probably won't be able to afford a new King hub when the times comes, so having more robust options is nice.

Last edited: