Quantcast
Status
Not open for further replies.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Rep Covered.

And to the OP, if you kill your wheels, don't you have like 5 other bikes to ride while they are being fixed?
yes, which is why everybody flames me on here, however, that doesnt mean i want to just toss a bike away for a month, If i break my banshee, i have no slalom bike, hardtail, i cant ride DJs (yes mayb the Ks) Lots of jealousy going on these days

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
yes, which is why everybody flames me on here, however, that doesnt mean i want to just toss a bike away for a month, If i break my banshee, i have no slalom bike, hardtail, i cant ride DJs (yes mayb the Ks) Lots of jealousy going on these days
No jealousy here.

Its just funny that you take the time to post a thread complaining about something that is really pretty trivial.

Its like saying "oh man, they were out of silver BMW's, I had to get the black one".
I know you were probably trying to just inform everyone of I9's policy change, but it came off like you were bitching.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
No jealousy here.

Its just funny that you take the time to post a thread complaining about something that is really pretty trivial.

Its like saying "oh man, they were out of silver BMW's, I had to get the black one".
I know you were probably trying to just inform everyone of I9's policy change, but it came off like you were bitching.
To be fair, I'd be bitching as well if i owned a product that all of a sudden i had to send in for repairs when i can do them myself, and was able to when i first bought it...

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
To be fair, I'd be bitching as well if i owned a product that all of a sudden i had to send in for repairs when i can do them myself, and was able to when i first bought it...
I'd probably be mad, but I doubt I'd start a thread about it.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
This ^ Its not like people on here dont have i9 wheels, and most of us race (maybe even alot) Its a product you pay (alot of money for, even shop cost) for that i now cant fix myself, or if i can, in a very limited amt. I am not dissin i9, because i rarely have to fix stuff from them. I WILL NOT agree that the company with the most expensive wheels, using the spokes you can only get from them, now only lets you repair it by them. I dont see that going over well, not personally to me, ill still buy them, but to control their QC (which I THINK was fine) in this manner, may not be good, How would you feel if you were one of the guys who didnt buy extra spokes in groups of 5 before the season, taco'd you wheel at the USO, or beech national, and guess what, the next month of your season isnt happening (on those wheels) I would really like somebody from i9 to jump on here, i think there is more hate on them then they necessarily deserve.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hold on crabtree...aren't you basically buying a complete wheelset from them, but then trying to supply your own rims? Isn't that basically beating their system? Isn't that kind of what they do, build and sell complete wheelsets? Why not buy their wheelset if you're buying their hubs and spokes?

Finally, it doesn't sound like they're doing this for repairs (you can still buy spokes) but rather for complete catastrophic failures, which really wouldn't be too bad to just send your hub in to have them rebuild your wheel. Finally, if you wanted to replace your rim, you can supply your own and use your own spokes you already have....amirite?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
hold on crabtree...aren't you basically buying a complete wheelset from them, but then trying to supply your own rims? Isn't that basically beating their system? Isn't that kind of what they do, build and sell complete wheelsets? Why not buy their wheelset if you're buying their hubs and spokes?

Finally, it doesn't sound like they're doing this for repairs (you can still buy spokes) but rather for complete catastrophic failures, which really wouldn't be too bad to just send your hub in to have them rebuild your wheel. Finally, if you wanted to replace your rim, you can supply your own and use your own spokes you already have....amirite?
the rim i have, is an old atomlab pimplite (colored) they havent made them for a year or two, and dont ever plan to. They do sell rims, but it wont be those rims. I am not trying to beat any system, i just wanted to not wait a long time, and bang it out myself. These are the same wheels i have on another bike (minus hub color) All the new atomlab rims are torq nips rather than normal nips, however, they do have a black "standard" rim i can replace it with.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
we had this same cr*p with "Roval" when a customer trashed an all-mountain wheel off a Specialized

they would not sell us a new Roval rim or the spokes, but offered a replacement wheel at some insane price..

I turned the customer onto the excellent "Hope Hoops" equivalent (Hope factory built Pro II on Stans ZTR Flow rim) and he never had any more issues obtaining spare spokes (or a rim if ever needed..), cheaper too ;)

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
No jealousy here.

You have got to be kidding me. THATS your arguement? Thats what bothers you? Have your BEEN TO RIDEMONKEY BEFORE???

Its all trivial crap. All forums are. "This stem is 4g lighter but my in brain FEA tells me its 22% stronger than this stem" ad nauseum.

Demo has a perfectly valid post, and concern. Haven't chatted with the I9 guys about it, but I'm curious if its true. Makes its exceptionally difficult for international customers, so its a weird choice.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
^ it is true, talked to them today, seemed kinda unsure what to tell me when i asked a few questions about it, regardless of their reason, it is true, and it is the new policy. What i didnt ask, is if you can buy a hub shell by itself(order full rebuild later), or buy 72 spoke to "replace your taco'd wheels"

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Demo has a perfectly valid post, and concern. Haven't chatted with the I9 guys about it, but I'm curious if its true. Makes its exceptionally difficult for international customers, so its a weird choice.
Ok, I'll give you that.:D

And hey, I did say that he brought up a good point! :p

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
^ it is true, talked to them today, seemed kinda unsure what to tell me when i asked a few questions about it, regardless of their reason, it is true, and it is the new policy. What i didnt ask, is if you can buy a hub shell by itself(order full rebuild later), or buy 72 spoke to "replace your taco'd wheels"
Call them and tell them we're talking about them on the internet.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Sounds like they should move towards a proprietary rim/spoke interface and that their past product line/business model was flawed. Not really sure that keeping all wheel building in house is really the solution since I can't think of any benchmarks that have done that successfully.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Just for the record, I dont think most (any) people hate you. I would love to be fortunate enough to have the bikes you do, and who would hold that against you. I dont know you, but I see posts, and see you ride at Diablo and you're definitely a very skilled rider -- maybe not the fastest -- maybe thats a matter of time.

It seems you are asking/posing questions that you should just accept you know the answer too and not seek someone elses affirmation -- but I could be wrong.

Bottom line is you shouldnt care what others think about you unless you agree with them, and you should own as many bikes as you want/can afford.

Where I have a 'problem' is people who can almost guarantee prized and podiums thinking that its normal or 'ok' to milk that situation, there are several people in your class that do this which is what ultimately keeps you from total domination, but lets not kid ourselves!

Didnt you beat Sam Chipkin at USO? Did you know he went pro?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Yes, got him by .01!!!! I dont know anything about him, nor have i ever seen him aside from USO, so no i dont know he went pro. I have heard gardner went pro though (3rd place, GE winner) Its sort of a mixed battle, the only tracks i generally do well on is USO,and diablo's "asylum". I grew up on the diablo rocks, nd only ride there, so i would like to say i have a bit of an advantage(compared to sam at least) ive qualified very high every time i raced it.(got screwed in a few finals though) Its though for me to say im a pro (or not) based on my best track, and a great result. It may be said that there are people sandbagging (or maybe not?) but i guess it turns into when/where do you draw the line, most people on here say im not a CAT 1 rider, nor in the CAT 1 equivalent track, i will argue a bit of that, because at diablo "my turf" i know all the nooks and crannys, i think that if diablo were USAC, i would be in a CAT 1 class, with fitness, maybe the top of it, the other problem arises, that at platty "X's turf" im probably bottom of cat 1, top of cat 2, as i dont ride there.(i did once) It becomes the problem of where you decide to draw the line, cut me and the 5 guys above me out of AM sr, than the top 5 of them become the sandbaggers, and you clog the pro field, or at least thats my understanding. next year boot them up, and you have a pro field full of sport-expert riders, with no chance for glory

Why does everybody know me? I dont know anybody?

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I'm kinda shocked you live a few hours from platty and have only ridden there one time!
Thats outlandish. I would kill to onlly be a few hours away......:rant:
the 3.5 hour drive gets me :( I actually enjoy platty, but, it tires/scares the shiz outa me

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
the 3.5 hour drive gets me :( I actually enjoy platty, but, it tires/scares the shiz outa me
good luck racing any of the GES races if 3.5 hour ride "scares" you.

try driving 45 hours and 2,800 miles to go race your bike, Ive done it. Best times ive ever had!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Your first time at platty was really funny.
because i kept up with you on a 6 inch travel bighit SPEC? Or when you went OTB showing me the secret trail i wouldnt be able to ride? I dont mind the drive,but if i have to drive, i want to get alot of riding time in. i cant stand the shale,slow lifts, going fast and you cant slow down (at least the Jr. Worlds course.) road gap was kinda cool, id like to see more jumps and friendlier trails for the afternoon when im shot, but im not holding my breathe

Last edited:

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I guess you can twist it the way you want but you were not keeping up, at all.

Also didn't crash that day at all so maybe you're confused?

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I guess you can twist it the way you want but you were not keeping up, at all.
Is flipping OTB part of your routine? I have seen you racing "diablow" a few times, with steller results :rolleyes: I thought the gnar platty has would help you tame our little anthill? you ride the hardest place on earth, why dont you dominate on our small inferior over goomed mountain? Your best result here is 7th, sound good? out of 8

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Is flipping OTB part of your routine? I have seen you racing "diablow" a few times, with steller results :rolleyes: I thought the gnar platty has would help you tame our little anthill? you ride the hardest place on earth, why dont you dominate on our small inferior over goomed mountain? Your best result here is 7th, sound good? out of 8
That's great, take a mild critique and turn it into a pissing match.

I understand you are young, but here's your opportunity to grow up!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I am not a platty fan either. Funny my buddies think platty is easier then Diablow. This year stoked for Vertical Earth and Catamount
Wow - Ill be the know it all and say that anyone that says Plattekill is 'easier' than Diablo is a liar, or a complete moron. Pissing matches aside. (Im liking that term...)

Diablo is convenient, Plattekill is real.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
That's great, take a mild critique and turn it into a pissing match.

I understand you are young, but here's your opportunity to grow up!
its not a mild critique, he does this all the time, his mouth is bigger on the internet, he isnt so bad in person.

and on another note, anybody have anything to add about i9, or do we need to jump on demo 9 in this thread too?

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Wow - Ill be the know it all and say that anyone that says Plattekill is 'easier' than Diablo is a liar, or a complete moron. Pissing matches aside. (Im liking that term...)

Diablo is convenient, Plattekill is real.
yeah I don't get it, I have heard it from at least 5 people.

Diablo is convenient 1hr 30min door to door or 3.5 to Platty.

Status
Not open for further replies.