Quantcast
Status
Not open for further replies.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
its not a mild critique, he does this all the time, his mouth is bigger on the internet, he isnt so bad in person.

and on another note, anybody have anything to add about i9, or do we need to jump on demo 9 in this thread too?
yeah screw I-9, priority spokes=dumb and annoying.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
yeah I don't get it, I have heard it from at least 5 people.

Diablo is convenient 1hr 30min door to door or 3.5 to Platty.
maybe they think platty is easier because you can go "slower" at platty, too slow at diablo, and you get stuck. (flat, very rocky) In my limited experience i found platty to be "smoother" than diablo, but i wouldn't personally call it easier, especially since diablo now has greenhorn.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Well i only rode the 3 chair lift, but at least IMO, i found it smoother, the challenge i found at platty was slowing down, at diablo, its flat and rocky, platty has lots of shale, but i didnt find it too rough (even on an bighit SPEC) I am not calling it paved, but i think the roughest parts of platty is how the trails cross the fireroads, which is like hitting a wall, and the chutes that seem to be everywhere. I didnt find to many rock gardens (at least like they are at diablo) your ride almost any trail at diablo, your hands are shaking and your rims are crying. I didnt find platty to be that rough, it was harder, STEEPER, but i didnt find it as painful on the bike, just my opinion of course :)

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
in dh no need for so many epts, Hadley and King have 72 which is more then pleanty for dh and both are US made.

people just want to look cool with I-9s but everyone breaks spokes. Unlike traditional hubs that sometimes break spokes

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
in dh no need for so many epts, Hadley and King have 72 which is more then pleanty for dh and both are US made.

people just want to look cool with I-9s but everyone breaks spokes. Unlike traditional hubs that sometimes break spokes
some people just want a freehub that sounds like a buzzsaw.

NTTAWWT.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Quickneon, i have 5 sets of them, and havent broken a single spoke, i bent a couple, but im yet to break any. They are stiff, lots of engagement. look cool too. I know that straight pull is supposed to be bad, but i havent gotten to that problem (yet)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Can someone educate me as to benefits (performance?) of I9s? I can't see any. Serious question.
THEY COME IN COLORS BRO

nobutsrsly: riding the Pro GRT course at plattekill was probably one of if not THE MOST difficult trail I have ever ridden. It was extremely technical, not in a poop-yer-pants way, but in a "how can I ride this" and on top of that "how can I ride this fast" way. The standard trails are somewhat less so, but that trail was mindblowing for somebody who has ridden all over the east coast, including diablo plattekill and Bromont.

Aside from that, comparing catamount to anything is just sad. Come on dude, go buy more matching downhill bikes so you don't have to actually put any miles on them.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Not comparing anything to Catamount I have never been there, I have heard good things and would like to check it out same with Blue

this place is getting worse then PinkBike

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
this place is getting worse then PinkBike
this place hasn't even hit "2006 bad" pinkbike, let alone modern 2011 PB

and to demo, so what exactly are you missing at this point from i9? do you have the spokes? the hubs? or is it only the rim? if you only have the rims, why not try out some kings or hopes or hadleys? worst case is that you dont like them and can sell them for something else. the performance between i9 hadley and king at least from my standpoint is totally equal

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
this place hasn't even hit "2006 bad" pinkbike, let alone modern 2011 PB

and to demo, so what exactly are you missing at this point from i9? do you have the spokes? the hubs? or is it only the rim? if you only have the rims, why not try out some kings or hopes or hadleys? worst case is that you dont like them and can sell them for something else. the performance between i9 hadley and king at least from my standpoint is totally equal
Well its already sorted out and done as of earlier today, i was just posting their new policy for the rest of the monkeys, which quite frankly, i think is retarded.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
good luck racing any of the GES races if 3.5 hour ride "scares" you.

try driving 45 hours and 2,800 miles to go race your bike, Ive done it. Best times ive ever had!
45 hours? cali?
Yeah Dennis drives from the east coast to come race Fontana!!!!!

In all seriousness, I can absolutly see this policy happening. You have a hub and spoke system which is tensioned alot differently than any other wheel.... You have a wheel builder who can lce it and true it just fine.... but chances are he brought it up to tension wrong....... Of all the things I see in shops... I see this alot.

Bottom line is, we started seeing alot of I9 pics of catastrophic failure, like over half the spokes being ripped off at the hub ETC....... I9 obviously has determined that it has been caused from improper initial building of the wheel, and they want to prevent this from happening.... for either rep or liability issues.........

Sucks for those out there that want to ride I9's and want to build their own wheels..... Anyone else that doesnt care who builds their wheels.... its no different.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Jeff and I am the Operations Manager for Industry Nine. There are some misconceptions and misinformation here that I would like to correct.

In regards to small parts sales: we sell repair parts (including spokes) through bike shops or direct to customers. This way customers who prefer to work on their own products can do so.

In regards to complete wheel sales: we only sell complete wheelsets through bike shops.

In regards to build kits (hub and spoke kits, not including rims, for complete wheel builds to be done remotely): If the bike shop is an established dealership with a history of selling/servicing our products, we will sell them a build kit. In this particular case, the OP was working at a shop that did not have an established dealer history with us. Therefore, we would not sell him the build kit.
Our wheels are quite simple to build, but they do require a tensiometer to ensure accurate spoke tension. A wheelset is only as good as its builder, therefore we choose to work with established dealerships to ensure the highest possible quality control.

To summarize: If you need to replace some spokes in your wheelset, we will gladly provide you with the products to do so. If you need to re-build a complete wheel, we prefer that be handled at an I9 dealership or by us in-house.
P.S. This is not a "new" policy. It has always been our policy.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Jeff and I am the Operations Manager for Industry Nine. There are some misconceptions and misinformation here that I would like to correct.

In regards to small parts sales: we sell repair parts (including spokes) through bike shops or direct to customers. This way customers who prefer to work on their own products can do so.

In regards to complete wheel sales: we only sell complete wheelsets through bike shops.

In regards to build kits (hub and spoke kits, not including rims, for complete wheel builds to be done remotely): If the bike shop is an established dealership with a history of selling/servicing our products, we will sell them a build kit. In this particular case, the OP was working at a shop that did not have an established dealer history with us. Therefore, we would not sell him the build kit.
Our wheels are quite simple to build, but they do require a tensiometer to ensure accurate spoke tension. A wheelset is only as good as its builder, therefore we choose to work with established dealerships to ensure the highest possible quality control.

To summarize: If you need to replace some spokes in your wheelset, we will gladly provide you with the products to do so. If you need to re-build a complete wheel, we prefer that be handled at an I9 dealership or by us in-house.

Jeff, thanks for setting the record straight. It's always best to get the full story right from the horse's mouth. (No, I'm not calling you a horse).

A question: is there any way for shops who do not have the established dealership to gain that status (and be able to service/build your wheels)?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Goddamit Jeff, Learn the Ridemonkey way. You popping up, setting the record straight with actual facts, reason and logic is simply unacceptable. You have gone and ruined3 pages of uninformed blubbering, illogical hatred, jealousy and digital diarrhea.

The truth is Industry Nine wants to build you wheels because they are an undercover uprising dictatorship. They want to build your wheels so they can put tracking units in them, which collect thoughts, which they then sell to Google, Apple, and Major League Baseball.

DUH.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
Jeff, thanks for setting the record straight. It's always best to get the full story right from the horse's mouth. (No, I'm not calling you a horse).

A question: is there any way for shops who do not have the established dealership to gain that status (and be able to service/build your wheels)?
Any shop (or consumer for that matter) can service the wheels and hubs.

Our wheels get re-built to new rims by shops who are not established dealers all the time. That is why the directions for building our wheels are plainly listed on the website.
We obviously can't control every re-build situation. I can think of many instances where people re-built their own wheels 4 or 5 times with new rims using the same set of hubs and spokes (not always the best idea, but it happens).
That being said, we like to have our hands in Quality Control when we can.
Someone ordering brand new hubs and spokes is a situation we can control. We prefer to have that done by established dealers or in house.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Any shop (or consumer for that matter) can service the wheels and hubs.

Our wheels get re-built to new rims by shops who are not established dealers all the time. That is why the directions for building our wheels are plainly listed on the website.
We obviously can't control every re-build situation. I can think of many instances where people re-built their own wheels 4 or 5 times with new rims using the same set of hubs and spokes (not always the best idea, but it happens).
That being said, we like to have our hands in Quality Control when we can.
Someone ordering brand new hubs and spokes is a situation we can control. We prefer to have that done by established dealers or in house.
Jeff, did you participate in Mustache Month this year?

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007

I am glad to see my conversation with Jacob this morning regarding this "typical RM" thread did not fall upon def ears!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Completely side tracking a thread which should be finished, but my I9 classics (J-bend) are near silent. And they have a full season and a half on em. Should I be concerned?
Not sure the deal with i9's.... but based on the several years experience with the hadleys I have, the louder they get the more in need they are of a cleaning / lubricating. No idea if i9's are the same way.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not sure the deal with i9's.... but based on the several years experience with the hadleys I have, the louder they get the more in need they are of a cleaning / lubricating. No idea if i9's are the same way.
that would make sense...it's typically the grease wearing out/away that causes loud pawls. You can press mute by regreasing them, or turn up the volume by replacing the grease with oil/lightweight grease.

FWIW, my hope rear hub was very quiet.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Is there any quota for a bike shop to be able to build the wheels? If X bike shop orders X wheelsets they can become an "official builder" or the sort. I understand the policy (while i dont entirely agree with it) but I would like to think that its something most shops can do, i have rebuilt my wheels with different rims/new spokes/better patterns plenty of time, and I know that there are way better builders than me. I personally dont understand the difference between selling 64 spokes (and i have bought that many a few months ago) and selling 64 spokes and a hub, i would think either way you have to rebuild the entire wheel. I dont feel that im alone in this situation, i think it would be nice to service my own wheels, or in this case even build them. I wont speak for what is in stock, but i ordered the same spokes to make these same wheels a month ago, and the spokes got to me in a few days, rather than a few weeks. thoughts?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that would make sense...it's typically the grease wearing out/away that causes loud pawls. You can press mute by regreasing them, or turn up the volume by replacing the grease with oil/lightweight grease.

FWIW, my hope rear hub was very quiet.
i use the teflon stuff that hadley supplies with their tool kits. it seems really light weight, but doesn't "turn the volume up" as you put it. Makes them quieter.

You can also fill your freehub with metal shavings if you want to crank it up to 11.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
This is an incredibly boring and pointless thread…

If you don’t like i9 because of straight spokes, proprietary spokes, spokes that are tie-dyed, whatever…

We are talking about this new ‘policy’ they have in place. Has anyone tried to call mavic and ask for a complete build kit for a crossmax? They just don’t do that, they are prebuilt wheels for a reason. The company’s reputation relies on the fact they are laced and tensioned properly day 1. Why would they sell some dude a pile of parts and say go build it yourself.

No where have I read ‘you can’t fix your own wheel’ of course they are going to sell you spokes if you break them, hell they ship extra ones with the wheels. But if you completely destroy your wheel they want to make sure it is built properly. I don’t get the issue here…

Why are you guys arguing about how fast you are in the sport class during the Diablo points series, you sound like a bunch of little kids. Grow up.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
This is an incredibly boring and pointless thread…

If you don’t like i9 because of straight spokes, proprietary spokes, spokes that are tie-dyed, whatever…

We are talking about this new ‘policy’ they have in place. Has anyone tried to call mavic and ask for a complete build kit for a crossmax? They just don’t do that, they are prebuilt wheels for a reason. The company’s reputation relies on the fact they are laced and tensioned properly day 1. Why would they sell some dude a pile of parts and say go build it yourself.

No where have I read ‘you can’t fix your own wheel’ of course they are going to sell you spokes if you break them, hell they ship extra ones with the wheels. But if you completely destroy your wheel they want to make sure it is built properly. I don’t get the issue here…

Why are you guys arguing about how fast you are in the sport class during the Diablo points series, you sound like a bunch of little kids. Grow up.
Get off my soap box.

:rolleyes:

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I didn't find the thread boring, but different strokes for different folks, I guess. I particularly enjoyed the part where people were arguing about amateur bicycle racing, and I particularly enjoyed the thread tags. All in all I give this thread an A-.

Winter is for interwebz, summer is for bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.