Quantcast

New innovative device for checking facebook/texting while riding

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Nothing more revolutionary than waiting for parents to expire and marketing the idea as new and groundbreaking.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Wow. Crazy autocorrect. Patents.

Must be Freudian, as I am at my father-in-laws, who has Alzheimer’s, at this very moment.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Hopey dampers just added drag when turning away from center, no?
this says it actively returns the steering to center.

somewhere, the lizards are laughing ...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
All the latest Garmin' edge GPS units show texts and social media alerts while you ride

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Dunno about you but these days people message each other on many many platforms other than SMS

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
All the latest Garmin' edge GPS units show texts and social media alerts while you ride
I've got a Garmin watch that does that. Super handy for not having to stop and get the phone out while riding if your mates are like mine and always late. You can set your reply messages in it, so I've got one that says "cool see ya at the top" or whatever works for your local trails.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Training wheels is another super helpful technology for people having issues with the stability of their slack HA bike at slow speed.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've got a Garmin watch that does that. Super handy for not having to stop and get the phone out while riding if your mates are like mine and always late. You can set your reply messages in it, so I've got one that says "cool see ya at the top" or whatever works for your local trails.
My Edge 830 just allow you to choose from one of 4 preset (non customisable) reply messages. But it's really handy being able to read messages without reaching for your phone while riding and to be able to decide whether they're important enough to need a reply or not especially on my (up to an hour long) daily commutes. Especially the 2 nights a week I'm rushing home to get there in time for my youngest. (or not if she messages a change of plan)
I also ride with blue tooth headphones so can call on the fly if needs be.
Technology is alright, eh?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
But it's really handy being able to read messages without reaching for your phone while riding and to be able to decide whether they're important enough to need a reply or not
Technology is alright, eh?
Yep. Phone rings and you can see who it is and decide without having to stop just to answer some telemarketer or whatever.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Yep. Phone rings and you can see who it is and decide without having to stop just to answer some telemarketer or whatever.
That's the only notification thingy I sometimes activate on my Bolt and only when on a road ride during "normal" people's typical office hours. On the mtb it's me, the trees and some birds.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Since these are integrated, I wonder what's entailed to remove the fork from the headset.
On the Canyon there's a port in the side of the headtube that lets you loosen the bolt that clamps the collar on the steerer tube. And you can take the whole assembly out if you want.

Still seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
It might have made sense if they steepened the head tube. Get the same steering centering with faster steering and shorter front center. But I’m not sure it’ll work like that without also having a damper to go with the spring.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It might have made sense if they steepened the head tube. Get the same steering centering with faster steering and shorter front center. But I’m not sure it’ll work like that without also having a damper to go with the spring.
Steeper has less flop, so more stable at slow speeds but less trail so less stable at high speeds. Like most problems on a bike, the best solution is to just go faster and quit being a bitch.

(not implying you are such a bitch)