Quantcast

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
great price point. nice updates......and haters gunna hate
2011 – 951 fun factor has been improved
So with the introduction of our M9-FRO we had a lot of people asking “are you still making the 951 now?” well you bet your ass we are! why would we stop making one of the funnest DH bikes ever made? We did however push the envelope of enjoyment for this bike, brought the price down, dropped the weight a smidge and made it a more simple bike. 3 key differences on this bike over the last model:
•New hydroformed downtube, vs the monococque shell of years past…and yes, are you ready for the bike industry keywords? the new tube is ‘lighter’ and ‘stronger’. All that marketing BS aside, it really is a nice tube.
•We changed the shock spec to a FOX RC2, more simple to adjust, basically took out adjustment you did not need on this type of bike.
•Removed the adjustable G3 dropout and created an entirely new fixed dropout system. It looks so clean and trick, with a new rear axle system that is integrated into a threaded derailer hanger.

MSRP of the new 951 is $2499. An american made beauty.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Brilliant. intense is on a goddam roll.

Curious though. The spring rate was kind of...unique... on the last one. Ramped up really hard past half travel. Was that changed at all with this new version?

Now all Intense needs is a low travel, slack 4-5" trailbike and I pretty much have no excuse to not start killing people for money.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
is it a nut and bolt system w/ washers like my Uzzi was?
Yup, big axles with nuts that have washers attached to them. The threaded dropout looks a lot cleaner in my opinion, and keeps you from having to carry a damn crescent wrench! I mean, it works fine, doesn't weight a ton or anything, but I just think the new dropout looks way nicer.

My guess is that the G3 just won't allow it? Not enough material or something?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I'd be interested to know why as well. I like the threaded axle setup on my shocker, just wish it didn't come loose all the time(probably because it's a maxle?)..

On another note, how much was the 951 before the M9 came out? Just curious, didn't know..

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yup, big axles with nuts that have washers attached to them. The threaded dropout looks a lot cleaner in my opinion, and keeps you from having to carry a damn crescent wrench! I mean, it works fine, doesn't weight a ton or anything, but I just think the new dropout looks way nicer.

i usually used a socket since i already had a ratchet in my box, but i usually didnt have to use it since it snugged up and loosened without the need for one.

looking at the G3 dropouts, it looks like there woldnt be enough meat for a threaded version, but it would look cleaner, i agree....but if it works, it works (the G3)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Apparently the axle and nut system i have is from the crappy azonic outlaws wheels... and not the Intense machined axle that is included with the frame kit. So... nothing to see here, carry on.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I'm not a fan of Intense, but this bike makes sense to me. I bet they'll seel a ton maybe even one to me.

Is the leverage ratio funky on the 951?

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
sooo.... for a bike with less adjustability and a little bit of weight shaved off and an inferior shock you can spend $2500.

The Go-Ride deal ($1900) on last years is looking really good about now.

*edit* I'm not hatin on Intense IH8Rice, just an observation. And Stik, not sure if it matters to you or was done intentionally, but I'm not sure "funnest" is a word. Just didn't know if you wanted something like that in a press release or if it was intentional.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I rode a demo 951 with the RC2 shock along with a CCDB, a Dueler, an RC4, a Roco and a Revox. The RC2 felt absolutely awful compared to the rest of those. I know it's a budget option, but it also seems like a severely limiting option as well.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Apparently the axle and nut system i have is from the crappy azonic outlaws wheels... and not the Intense machined axle that is included with the frame kit. So... nothing to see here, carry on.
Frasier, the Hadley axel is the only one to have for an Intense. One 8mm allen and you're done. No crescent wrench needed. :thumb:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sooo.... for a bike with less adjustability and a little bit of weight shaved off and an inferior shock you can spend $2500.

The Go-Ride deal ($1900) on last years is looking really good about now.
word...sounds like this should come in a little bit cheaper to make it more appealing and make the m9 equally higher end. I know the materials cost is the same, but it just strikes me as kind of an odd strategy.

that leads to the biggest downfall in intense's constant evolution strategy...old frames end up getting absolutely DUMPED at insane prices. I'll keep my eye on chainlove for last years $2900 951 for like $1100 post xmas.

As far as the "simpler is more fun" notion...even if you have those options, you can also ignore them....set and forget. I rarely touched the knobs on my brooklyn, and the suspension still outperformed most anything I've ridden since....left it in one axle position...etc. I personally would rather have the option should I have a problem.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
that leads to the biggest downfall in intense's constant evolution strategy...old frames end up getting absolutely DUMPED at insane prices. I'll keep my eye on for last years $2900 951 for like $1100 post xmas.
that holds true for anyone sitting on old inventory in any industry....especially when new models are close to launching.
the electronics market is worse than anyone else

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
tis true, but I'd argue that products become outdated in the electronics industry way faster than MTBs...who wants to watch my HD DVDs?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
that leads to the biggest downfall in intense's constant evolution strategy...old frames end up getting absolutely DUMPED at insane prices. I'll keep my eye on for last years $2900 951 for like $1100 post xmas.
It seems to me that they may have learned from the Slopestyle. I never saw M6s getting dumped.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
tis true, but I'd argue that products become outdated in the electronics industry way faster than MTBs...who wants to watch my HD DVDs?
well most companies only release new products once a year similar to bike companies, but the markdowns are much crazier when this happens and or when there is a "price move."

go-ride and chainl0ve probably bought Intense's backed up "old" inventory at a great price and are passing the savings to consumers. intense was more than likely planning for the new generation 951's and is being smart about it by selling old models at cheaper prices.
there of course will be some overlap with customers deciding whether to buy the old model or pony up a few more dollhairs and get the new one.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Frasier, the Hadley axel is the only one to have for an Intense. One 8mm allen and you're done. No crescent wrench needed. :thumb:
Not true, the 12mm Hadey axles have a nut on one side and allen on the other. This is true for the 150 and 135mm versions. The 10mm 135 for qr dropouts has a tab on one end and 8mm allen on the other. So it only needs an 8mm allen

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Not true, the 12mm Hadey axles have a nut on one side and allen on the other. This is true for the 150 and 135mm versions. The 10mm 135 for qr dropouts has a tab on one end and 8mm allen on the other. So it only needs an 8mm allen
My post still stands. I have that axel on my 951 and I can hold the nut against the dropout to loosen it. ;)

It's also worth mentioning Hadley has the nicest 10 and 12mm models on the market IMO.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
My post still stands. I have that axel on my 951 and I can hold the nut against the dropout to loosen it. ;)

It's also worth mentioning Hadley has the nicest 10 and 12mm models on the market IMO.
OK, I can't do it with my Tazer but I do love the fact I don't need the 12mm dropout adapters with the Hadley axle. They are made for Intense frames.

Yes they are the nicest axles, I have been using the 10mm ones on my qr dropout bikesfor several years. All of my qr bikes are converted to 10mm thru axles. Just wish Hadley still did them in black.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Are the geo's on the website correct? It looks like the small and medium share the same 23.5" top tube length.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
It's the same 951 with a ****tier shock and no adjustments, and it's more expensive than the one with all the adjustments. Touting it as simpler is just a ploy to make the M9 seem more fancy. People who need the fancy schmancy adjustment for every track OMG I want to race world cup bike will get the M9. The "core" riders who just ride to ride it's all about simplicity and fun, adjustments are for losers see this as their bike. If you're in the latter group, buy the older style for half the price from go-ride and just don't adjust it. Just trying to keep the 951 fresh so it doesn't phase out after 2 years (nothing wrong with that).

I still want an M9. I'd even take a "new" 951. I just want to ride, knee surgery blows :(

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
that leads to the biggest downfall in intense's constant evolution strategy...old frames end up getting absolutely DUMPED at insane prices.
not only new ones, but as soon as a new intense frame comes out you see all the fanboys trying to get rid of their previous model so they can get the new one. Instense must have one of the most loyal, and impressionable consumer basis in the industry. I like the stuff intense makes, but i'd have a hard time coping with buying what i thought was the best bike ever, only to have a new one come out next year claiming to be better then the last, and then desperatly trying to sell mine at an extreme loss.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
not only new ones, but as soon as a new intense frame comes out you see all the fanboys trying to get rid of their previous model so they can get the new one. Instense must have one of the most loyal, and impressionable consumer basis in the industry. I like the stuff intense makes, but i'd have a hard time coping with buying what i thought was the best bike ever, only to have a new one come out next year claiming to be better then the last, and then desperatly trying to sell mine at an extreme loss.
Totally wrong. The 951 was a different bike all together like the way the Socom was. They never said the NEW 951 is better then last years. In fact if you like the 951 last years is a better bike.
They made it an affordable option to the M-9.
The M-9 is the evolution of the M-6 and M-6 FRO.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
So your an Intense fanboy without the Intense.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I like the stuff intense makes, but i'd have a hard time coping with buying what i thought was the best bike ever, only to have a new one come out next year claiming to be better then the last, and then desperatly trying to sell mine at an extreme loss.
do you want them to say "the new 2011 951 is heavier, slower, pedals worse and looks worse then previous years"
no one seems to have problems when car manufacturers do this...or any other industry.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Totally wrong. The 951 was a different bike all together like the way the Socom was. They never said the NEW 951 is better then last years. In fact if you like the 951 last years is a better bike.
They made it an affordable option to the M-9.
The M-9 is the evolution of the M-6 and M-6 FRO.
i'm not debating so much whats better or worse, just that intense seems to change or update their bikes constantly (not a bad thing either) but due to forums and marketing, people seem to turn over what they own at a remarkable rate (i suppose the same can be said for the industry as a whole i just find intense to be more so)

do you want them to say "the new 2011 951 is heavier, slower, pedals worse and looks worse then previous years"
no one seems to have problems when car manufacturers do this...or any other industry.
I have problems when other industries do it, and its why im not buying a 3d tv, because in my mind, they suck. it in fact is a worse bike than last years, and not really at a better price, you get less adjustability, a new down tube, and a sub par shock to save a few hundred bucks, doesn't seem good to me. its neat what they are trying to do, but it doesn't really seem like all that great of a deal when you look at the shock thats provided

I'm not trying to throw down intense here, im just making an observation as to why someone like me hasn't put one of their products at the top of my list. they do make well thought out and beautifully designed products, i just think the turn over rate is crazy high. who's going to buy a m6 now? im still seeing people trying to sell m3's that have been on the market for over a year. socoms have next to 0 resale value compared to what someone paid, a new bike or evolution from intense destroys the value of their previous models (as does everything in the industry) but when you can only get 2 years out of a frame being worth anything when you pay close to $3000 for it, you better get your time in on the bike.