Quantcast

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Clearly enough people are willing to pay for a new M9/M6/951 that it's profitable for Intense to put out new bikes at the intervals they do. It also means that, for everyone else, there are good prices on 1-2 year old new and used frames. So...what's the problem? Is anyone buying a DH bike based on its estimated resale value?

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
no problem, its good for intense, its just why i myself haven't bought one
ok so the fact that Specialized, Trek and just about every other company changes their bikes ever year or 2 is any different????

I guess you don't own a dh bike then and you are waiting for them to stop changing?

Every industry makes changes every year or so. Automobiles, televisions, cameras and forget about computers they change every 2 months.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Buying a DH bike based on resale value is like when a car salesman tries to tell me the vehicle I'm buying is an investment. LOL. Investments make money.

DH bikes are like dirt bikes you'll never get your money out of them.

I think the new 951 is a great idea. I liked it before but now it's more attractive and a actual frame I'd consider.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
My post still stands. I have that axel on my 951 and I can hold the nut against the dropout to loosen it. ;)

It's also worth mentioning Hadley has the nicest 10 and 12mm models on the market IMO.
on my uzzi, w/ 12 mm Hadley thru axle, i simply tapped a small hole in the large aluminum nut, put some loctite in the hole and inserted a tiny allen-head bolt. it sticks out, much like the tab on the 10 mm thru axle Hadley nut, and enables me to remove the axle with one 8 mm allen on the other side. simple, clean, bomber.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
on my uzzi, w/ 12 mm Hadley thru axle, i simply tapped a small hole in the large aluminum nut, put some loctite in the hole and inserted a tiny allen-head bolt. it sticks out, much like the tab on the 10 mm thru axle Hadley nut, and enables me to remove the axle with one 8 mm allen on the other side. simple, clean, bomber.
Very cool idea. Thanks for sharing. I am going to do that on my Tazer when I get some spare time.
What did you use something like a pedal pin?

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Can you post a picture? Great idea.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
ok so the fact that Specialized, Trek and just about every other company changes their bikes ever year or 2 is any different????

I guess you don't own a dh bike then and you are waiting for them to stop changing?
Trek gets put in the same boat here forsure, but they have to keep updating their designs due to bad design, poor quality, and chasing after patents for marketing. I've owned many DH bikes, and as i stated nothing against intense, its more the "changing" the 951 to say its more affordable when compared to the m9, well ya, the shock is. Did intense have to do this to divert people away from thinking holy **** i spent $3000 on a 951 last year, now i can get a m9 with an awesome shock and angleset? aren't the 951 and m9 two totally different bikes ment for different styles of racing, if so, why down grade a bike that is arguably better then the m9 in certain situations? It just doesnt make sence to me

Every industry makes changes every year or so. Automobiles, televisions, cameras and forget about computers they change every 2 months.
I stated my view of this when Ih8rice brought it up a mere, 2 posts before you did.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The adjustability of the M-9 lets you tune it like a 951 if that is what you like or tune it to whatever suits you best. So no the 951 is not better then the M-9 but just a different bike

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
tetreault,
You are thinking way too hard on this, and thinking Intense has some master scheme in all this.

The 'changing' of the 951 was to bring the bike back to its roots (it was derived from our socom, an 8" travel DH bike, with non-adjustable dropouts) and not spec it with such a race bred damper on it.

Also, no one spent $3000 on a 951, msrp was always $2750. Intense dropped the price down to $2499 for 2011, still made in house, in california, changed the damper, removed the adjustable dropout, I don't see why you would be so angry that Intense is trying to make more affordable bikes? (I know bikes are $$ but Intense bikes are getting less expensive while increasing quality, customer service, delivery and still made in america).

Intense could have just dropped the 951, and you would have been stoked right? but Intense kept it around because in research with shops, racers, riders, etc everyone said its a fun bike and it needs to stick around regardless of the M9 coming out or not.

Like I said before, Intense has 2 DH bikes, meant for different people and whether you like it or not, that $500 price difference to some people is a HUGE amount of money-no matter how you slice it.

Now I gotta run to bestbuy and get a new phone, the same one I bought 6 months ago for $699 that is on sale for $299 because I broke it.

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
tetreault,
You are thinking way too hard on this, and thinking Intense has some master scheme in all this.

The 'changing' of the 951 was to bring the bike back to its roots (it was derived from our socom, an 8" travel DH bike, with non-adjustable dropouts) and not spec it with such a race bred damper on it.

Also, no one spent $3000 on a 951, msrp was always $2750. Intense dropped the price down to $2499 for 2011, still made in house, in california, changed the damper, removed the adjustable dropout, I don't see why you would be so angry that Intense is trying to make more affordable bikes? (I know bikes are $$ but Intense bikes are getting less expensive while increasing quality, customer service, delivery and still made in america).

Intense could have just dropped the 951, and you would have been stoked right? but Intense kept it around because in research with shops, racers, riders, etc everyone said its a fun bike and it needs to stick around regardless of the M9 coming out or not.

Like I said before, Intense has 2 DH bikes, meant for different people and whether you like it or not, that $500 price difference to some people is a HUGE amount of money-no matter how you slice it.

Now I gotta run to bestbuy and get a new phone, the same one I bought 6 months ago for $699 that is on sale for $299 because I broke it.
So what's the word on that shock rate?

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
So will I be able to get an "old" 951 with all the doodads for like $900 on chainlove just like the old SS? ;)
The "Old 951" it's almost the same bike, with a better shock and with adjustable Dropouts so if any shop have a few of them in stock it's no problem at all. Maybe they'ld get a little bit cheaper, 2400 or something like that but 900???? Keep Dreaming....

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
The "Old 951" it's almost the same bike, with a better shock and with adjustable Dropouts so if any shop have a few of them in stock it's no problem at all. Maybe they'ld get a little bit cheaper, 2400 or something like that but 900???? Keep Dreaming....
I wouldn't dispel the idea. The SS popped up on there for right around $1000 a bunch of times. Maybe $1400 for the old 951 then...

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
But the new SS is completely different, it looks way better than the old one, It's also a VPP2 and the old one was VPP1....

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
How does the shock rate on the 951 compare to the 1st gen Uzzi?

Its the only VPP bike I've ridden that I liked. The rear wheel tracked the ground like nothing else, it pedaled awesome and I was still able to get it off the ground.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
So... Is there a conspiracy behind the shock rate on the 951? Doesn't seem like anyone wants to talk about it.
or maybe it was just an oversight on intense's part and now they are scrambling to send all their rc2's back to fox to get them tuned for the bike's shock rate. the wonky behavior is not a conspiracy, its more of a fact, but with a proper shock, it isn't a problem. However, a stock RC2 is NOT a proper shock for said behavior.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Trek gets put in the same boat here forsure, but they have to keep updating their designs due to bad design, poor quality, and chasing after patents for marketing./QUOTE]

What the hell ??? are you high or something ? . . .you're an idiot.Care to enlighten us on that topic ?

nothing to say about the new Intense other than Ive always thought their bikes looked good but this is where it ends for me.Every one I know with an Intense eventually had problemSSS with their bike (like any other manufacturers ) but for some reasons it seems worst with Intense.Plus most of their dealers where I live seem to drop the line after only a year or two carrying it.Not enough people buying them I suppose , or maybe the markup isnt appealing for dealers???Hassle to deal with them? Im not sure why but there must be a valid reason for this.

They might be making good bikes now but before I put my money on one, they'll have to clean up their image.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
or maybe it was just an oversight on intense's part and now they are scrambling to send all their rc2's back to fox to get them tuned for the bike's shock rate. the wonky behavior is not a conspiracy, its more of a fact, but with a proper shock, it isn't a problem. However, a stock RC2 is NOT a proper shock for said behavior.
Can you explain "wonky behavior"?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
How does the shock rate on the 951 compare to the 1st gen Uzzi?

Its the only VPP bike I've ridden that I liked. The rear wheel tracked the ground like nothing else, it pedaled awesome and I was still able to get it off the ground.
funny you should say that. i've had my uzzi vpx for a few years, and have tried several shocks on it, but it was really only last year that i found the right solution: the push / avalanche mod to a dhx (think it's called push mx now). along with the slacker dropouts on the rear, the bike is finally where i want it. pedals well, tracks well.

so we still haven't heard if the new 951 has addressed the shock leverage curve complaints. i imagine the answer is 'no' or we would have heard it by now.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
funny you should say that. i've had my uzzi vpx for a few years, and have tried several shocks on it, but it was really only last year that i found the right solution: the push / avalanche mod to a dhx (think it's called push mx now). along with the slacker dropouts on the rear, the bike is finally where i want it. pedals well, tracks well.
i thought the Swinger 6way was pretty good on my VPX.
i would like to have tried the slacker dropouts before i sold it. that would have made the bike that much better for DH work

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
i thought the Swinger 6way was pretty good on my VPX.
i would like to have tried the slacker dropouts before i sold it. that would have made the bike that much better for DH work
Second that. I have a Swinger 6 way on my Socom and it works well. Just got one for my 6.6 as well, as the DHX air is horrendous on that bike. Seems to be a good fit for the VPP design.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia

so we still haven't heard if the new 951 has addressed the shock leverage curve complaints. i imagine the answer is 'no' or we would have heard it by now.
He had a DHX on it and the Intense guys set it up at a race for him. After they set it up it was awesome. The geo was a little weird like a VP Free; long TT and kinda steep HA but the rear felt mint.

What are the complaints about the 951 shock rate? I don't know anyone that has one nor have a I met anyone that rides one.

I have a Vivid that I'm going to send to Push for the Team Issue rebuild and valve. I just need to get my replacement Revolt and sell it. Hopefully it shows up before Xmas...:confused:

from everything i've read, the shock curve becomes excessively progressive. "like hitting a wall", remarked one reviewer. altho, sicklines did give the 951 a pretty glowing review. Seems like a CCDB would be ideal to help counteract this.

I've been eyeing the 951 on sale at go-ride, i do like the adjustability and the clean lines. just not sure about the VPP2 ride. i really dig the fully active feel of my Session under hard braking. I can tell that the suspension is still working well in rough terrain under heavy braking. Does the VPP2 also have this property?

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
from everything i've read, the shock curve becomes excessively progressive. "like hitting a wall", remarked one reviewer. altho, sicklines did give the 951 a pretty glowing review. Seems like a CCDB would be ideal to help counteract this.

I've been eyeing the 951 on sale at go-ride, i do like the adjustability and the clean lines. just not sure about the VPP2 ride. i really dig the fully active feel of my Session under hard braking. I can tell that the suspension is still working well in rough terrain under heavy braking. Does the VPP2 also have this property?
Yes it does, since it's a 4 bar short linkage bike braking forces are separated. It's going to eat everything up, and be able to pedal while it's doing it. nomnomnom

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
Plus most of their dealers where I live seem to drop the line after only a year or two carrying it.Not enough people buying them I suppose , or maybe the markup isnt appealing for dealers???Hassle to deal with them? Im not sure why but there must be a valid reason for this.

They might be making good bikes now but before I put my money on one, they'll have to clean up their image.
Up intill OCG started distributing the Intense product things were pretty bad. Supply, pricing,warranty were all a joke with the previous distributor. Seems OCG is doing a better job with pricing and supply and they were always good in the past with warranty stuff...so who knows.

If Turner wanted to sell more product in Canada they should jump ship too.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Ive always liked this bike aesthetically, but dont think it would suit my riding style, which we'll call hack. But by the same token my revolt doesnt seem like it would as well but I feel incredibly comfortable on my revolt.

Ive always liked this bike aesthetically, but dont think it would suit my riding style, which we'll call hack. But by the same token my revolt doesnt seem like it would as well but I feel incredibly comfortable on my revolt.
i would be in the same cohort. i try to choose deliberate fast/flowy lines, but i do appreciate that i can point-n-shoot on my Session to plow my way out of poor decisions. :p

dreads

Chimp
Oct 10, 2010
i rode a 951 all season with an RC4 and never felt the harsh 'wall'. suspension setup was pretty basic had it in the 8" setting with appropriate sag and 3 clicks low speed and 1-2 high speed for whistler and 3-4 when at places with less harsh chatters. i wonder if the wall was only felt in the longer travel setting?

rider151

Chimp
Sep 11, 2008
San Diego
I ride the 8.5 setting pretty exclusively and have never felt the "wall" with the stock RC4. I'm a lighter guy and fairly smooth and have no problem getting full travel. For me the bike is dialed and I feel fits my riding style perfectly. With that being said, I think quite a few people who bought this bike were looking for an entirely different ride quality and haven't been able to achieve it and get a "wall" type sensation while trying to make the bike something its not. I've ridden a few 951's other than mine and yes, when the settings are off I feel this bike definitely can magnify any suspension related tuning errors/shortcomings. All just personal opinion here though so feel free to flame away.......

dreads

Chimp
Oct 10, 2010
i felt the same way bike was amazing for downhill and just as good for the more jumpy trails trails. i rode it in the long G3 setting almost all the time except for swapping to the middle setting for the more pedally jumpy tracks. only downside i felt was the wheelbase was a tiny bit long and the chainstays were a tiny bit long. i put it in the long G3 setting mainly for the bb lowerage and the HA slackener a bit.

Last edited: