Quantcast

New iPhone T minus 8 hours 19 minutes

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I called Sprint tonight, found out a I still had a year left on my contract and then somehow proceded to talk the [extremely cool and probably very hot] girl into removing the contract. :banana: :clapping:

If only I were that smooth in real life.

So I'm meeting a friend at 6am to be sure I get a new iPhone. I haven't done anything this nerdy since the Star Wars Ep IV was re-released in theaters circa 1999 and I waited for like 6 hours. I'm stoked...:D

All you haters, please don't rain on my parade with negativity about the iPhone. I can be excited if I want. I'm upgrading from a freakin' Moto Q which has got to be the worst attempt at a smartphone of all time. :shocked:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I called Sprint tonight, found out a I still had a year left on my contract and then somehow proceded to talk the [extremely cool and probably very hot] girl into removing the contract. :banana: :clapping:

If only I were that smooth in real life.

So I'm meeting a friend at 6am to be sure I get a new iPhone. I haven't done anything this nerdy since the Star Wars Ep IV was re-released in theaters circa 1999 and I waited for like 6 hours. I'm stoked...:D

All you haters, please don't rain on my parade with negativity about the iPhone. I can be excited if I want. I'm upgrading from a freakin' Moto Q which has got to be the worst attempt at a smartphone of all time. :shocked:
FYI....it is very nerdy. Especially considering Asheville, NC is the worst WiFi area in the Southeast. Besides, it still requires 2 good hands...:cupidarrow:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
The iPhone 2.0 software supports MS Exchange/Outlook. Enterprise support was one of the big selling points for the iPhone 3G. Word/Excel/PowerPoint files are supposed to play well with the new iPhone platform. We'll see.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/enterprise/
we will see. not sure if it is all vista friendly either, plus i am not sure if sprint is gonna carry the iPhone

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
we will see. not sure if it is all vista friendly either, plus i am not sure if sprint is gonna carry the iPhone
did you read the post...Kenan called his Sprint rep.
I just read that today's launch is officially a turd b/c they let too many countries sign up today and clogged the servers and now even 1st gen iPhones are useless til they go back up.
http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20080711/ap_on_hi_te/apple_iphone

For kicks I tried to call Kenan and got "the subscriber you have called is unavailable at this time.:" so sounds like his service is in "iLimbo" too?

Kenan, what I don't understand is why you stayed w/ Sprint when only Verizon & US Cellular have high speed broadband available in Asheville. Sprint is low speed, making the features on the iPhone near useless to you man.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Yeah this is a total crap situation. Fortunately I have another cell that I can use until Apple gets their act together. Everyone who bough iPhones today except for a select few cannot activate them. Do a Google news search...it's total BS.

Butch - AT&T is the exclusive iPhone carrier. My sprint phone worked like crap and their customer service was the worst ever (except the hot chick last night). AT&T had troubles this morning with their servers but got it straightened out quick and that's when itunes went down...and has been down for at least 6 hours now.

So needless to say I am without my business cell. I have a backup but no one knows the number. What a crap day. :banghead:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I hope Syadasti isn't in the hospital or anything...
Sorry, I was getting my Pearl 8120 UMA for the same price as an iPhone ($199) only without a contract for $30/month 300 minutes. It takes Apple 3-5 revisions get their products right - just look at the iPod. I've already been burned by Apple handheld trash - the Newton 120.

I paid $199 + $40 for a 8GB micro SDHC card :biggrin:

Maybe I'll get a top end smartphone like an Android phone in a year or so thought I don't want something as huge as a iPhone, even the Curve was kinda big for me though a full real keyboard is the best option by far for data input:lighten:

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Hey - does the new iPhone have a replaceable battery?
Its not soldered in, but its not easily "user" replaceable. It has no memory expansion either.

The biggest problems are 3G isn't mature (coverage/chipset wise) and ATT sucks for ANY phone (3G or otherwise).

Verizon now owns Alltel, so the best providers are Verizon or T-mobile as per Consumer Reports below. T-mobile is the cheapest provider and has the best customer support but Verizon has the best overall nationwide coverage (which matches my experience managing 100 blackberries and hundreds of cell phones for a company with field employees covering all 50 states, Puerto Rico, Canada, and Guam).

Jan 2008 - Consumer Reports said:
CELL PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS

Problem: Poor coverage. Substandard service quality was the biggest reason our survey respondents switched carriers in the previous three years, our survey found.

Solution: Listen to our readers’ experiences. Alltel and Verizon got high marks across the board for connectivity.T-Mobile had relatively high satisfaction scores, but customers experienced problems with lack of service in some cities. Subscribers also highlighted problems with AT&T for gaps in service and static, and with Sprint for dropped calls. Check the signal strength down to street level in areas where you‘ll use the phone most frequently. Interactive online coverage maps, offered by most carriers except Alltel, provide some guidance as to what you can expect.

Problem: Unsatisfactory customer service. The trouble spots include serious or persistent billing errors,maddening voice-mail menus, and the need to spend lots of time and effort yielding little help from customer service.

Solution: Again, heed the voice of experience—but don’t expect too much. In our survey, Alltel, T-Mobile, and Verizon were the better choices in a bad lot for customer service. Only about 40 percent of their customers said these companies were very helpful, responding to queries and complaints about service issues—none too impressive. But only 21 percent of Sprint customers said the same thing. Sprint made news last summer when it terminated 1,000 subscribers for complaining too much about the service. Roni Singleton, a Sprint representative, says, “They were contacting us, in some cases, 100 times per month.We tried to resolve their issues, but they were still not satisfied, and it gets to the point where you say these customers may be better off somewhere else.”

If customer service isn’t helpful, file a complaint with your state public utility commission or consumer advocate.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Finally working 10 1/2 hours after I got in line this morning.
misunderstood about the contract. thought Sprint let you out of a contract tied to the Q so they could put you on a plan with the 3G.

Umm...so, I'm still not aware of AT&T having a high speed broadband network here in A-town. My old boss had a 1st gen iPhone & it's browsing feature was as useful as a dry toilet.

Oh...and if you're arm is up to it...Kitsuma at 5:30 today!