Quantcast

New iPod nano.... ITS FLIPPIN' SMALL!

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i'm selling my sandisk 1G mp3 player if anyone wants it. 1 black ipod nano for me please.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
ipods are gonig to take over the world, that thing is perfect for skiing and riding...

I am waiting for a 100 gb ipod that has 60 hours of battery life that dubs as my phone and pda...you might laugh but it is coming :evil:

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Five said:
They don't have the ipod mini listed - so I guess it's going away.
What will happen with the free ipod mini with computer deal for college students. It would be sweet to get a nano. I would be BA

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
erastusboy said:
What will happen with the free ipod mini with computer deal for college students. It would be sweet to get a nano. I would be BA
my guess is that they will continue to get minis. I think that deal is only good until the end of the month. I highly doubt you wouuld get a spankin' new nano.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
stinkyboy said:
Are you OK?
Dude that eurohawk thread is still pissing me off. I'm waiting on my apple settlement which is now going towards one of these. Gas prices are going down slowly which is good but its still killing me to fill the truck up. My daughter is in the "Willow do it stage" which means 5 times longer than the "do it for Willow stage". Work has me slammed right now. The weather is nice so riding isn't in an oven anymore. The panthers are going to be good this year.

Hell who knows if I am or not?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
DRB said:
Dude that eurohawk thread is still pissing me off. I'm waiting on my apple settlement which is now going towards one of these. Gas prices are going down slowly which is good but its still killing me to fill the truck up. My daughter is in the "Willow do it stage" which means 5 times longer than the "do it for Willow stage". Work has me slammed right now. The weather is nice so riding isn't in an oven anymore. The panthers are going to be good this year.

Hell who knows if I am or not?
Can I make a suggestion:

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I am waiting for a 100 gb ipod that has 60 hours of battery life that dubs as my phone and pda...you might laugh but it is coming :evil:
Well, they've got part of it down anyway...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
DamienC said:
Well, they've got part of it down anyway...

yeah yeah, im thinking that thing is a sort of transitional device along with all these evolutions of the ipod. I bet in the coming years apple really drops the bombshell with a device that has incredible battery life and truely is an "all in one device" Im guessing it will be around 100 gb's of memory

either way i think i am going to pick up the new nano for my gf if i get my new job...she will be jacked that they dont come in the "pretty blue" that she was looking for...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I wonder if it'll actually have a decent battery life this time, after Apple's two spectacular failures at including a good battery.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
So much for those "Other" choices, bummer I just got a 2nd Gen Mini a couple months ago and a shuffle a month ago (I got the shuffle through Best Buy's Warantee of a RIO and use 50% of the memory as a thumb drive)...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Alright! An mp3 player so thin, its as ergonomic as a 5 cent no. 2 pencil and snaps in half just like one if you sit down with it in your backpocket (that must be why it has the neck system). Where do I sign up? Style over functionality!

Wait here while I throw on 3" DH tires like everyone use to do cause it was cool :p

Or maybe I'll just spend the same money as the 2GB on a well designed player that gets 6 more hours of playback and comes with 6GB of space - it does all that with the extra power draw that a HDD has even:dancing:

RaID

Turbo Monkey
manhattanprjkt83 said:

everything but the 60hrs of batter life should be available pretty much right now

if only they worked out on better ways to store energy

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
syadasti said:
Alright! An mp3 player so thin, its as ergonomic as a 5 cent no. 2 pencil and snaps in half just like one if you sit down with it in your backpocket (that must be why it has the neck system). Where do I sign up? Style over functionality!
Bro, you love to look down your nose at all these iPod owners... thinking they're all fashion-conscious lemmings. You've done it in every previous iPod thread I've seen as well.

But you're as much a lemming in your own group of tech-weenie early-adopters. All this added functionality that you think is so valuable is useless or even counter-productive for the majority of the population. No one wants or needs all those features, few care about the sound quality, and most are confused by anything but the simplest GUIs. Simplicity and smart selection of only the essential features IS functionality. Small size IS functionality. And even, gasp, fashion, IS functionality. You're blind if you don't recognize that... since it's a factor for every electronic device in existence.

Snaps in half? And you know this from, uh, a couple of online picture about a product that isn't even in consumer hands yet? How many broken Shuffles or similar have you heard about? It shouldn't be any less robust than all the other SS players.

I know you love to hate Apple. Get over it. They own the market because they do it better than everyone else. When someone else starts doing it better (INCLUDING the fashion part) they'll soon win their fair share of the market.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
They own the market cause they have the best marketing just as the best bikes aren't the ones that sell the most. Or Bud beer isn't the best simply cause it sells well...

There is such as thing as too small. Thats why ergonomic expensive pens or mechnical pencils are about twice as thick as no. 2 pencils.

6 more hours of battery life and 4GB more storage space at the same price IS useful to the average user...

I know about thin flash device breakage cause I've know/seen plenty of people who have snapped their flash drives before (which are about the same thickness and have less leverage as they are shorter than this device)

Get over you lack of braincell when it comes to this topic...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin

ipodlounge said:
iLounge editors Jeremy Horwitz and Dennis Lloyd have had the opportunity to test the iPod nano and check out all of its upcoming accessories. On the accessories front, most interesting is the fact that the new iPod nano Dock is the first such Apple device to include a “variable line-out” port, which attenuates the standard line-out signal downwards from the iPod’s Click Wheel. The company’s silicone “nano Tubes” provide complete protection for the entire iPod nano save its bottom ports, including thin coverage for the Click Wheel and top Hold switch. The lanyard headphones plug simultaneously into the iPod’s bottom headphone port and Dock Connector, using the Connector solely as a securing mechanism and the headphone port as a means to direct headphone audio. Armbands in all of the various colors are similar in perforated arm design to Incase’s recently reviewed iPod and iPod mini neoprene armbands, except open on their tops.

We’ve also learned that the iPod nano will be the company’s first to include the “Universal Dock Adapter,” a plastic plate which guarantees iPod nano docking compatibility with any accessory designed to include it. Nearly 20 companies are already planning products around the UDA design, which is similar to the plastic plates included with speaker accessories from Altec Lansing, Bose, iHome and JBL, and will eliminate the need for participating companies to design iPod-specific plates in the future. The UDA will come in the nano box alongside a USB-to-Dock Connector cable, headphones, the nano hardware, and iTunes 5 software.

We tested the iPod nano briefly with both stock and high-end Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro earphones, and found the audio quality of the newest iPod to be similar to existing iPods. Bass performance does not appear to have been markedly improved in the nano, and other audio and feature functionality often requested by iLounge readers (enhanced equalizers, FM tuner, etcetera) has not been included. However, the nano’s new stopwatch and lap timer works well, and features a nice metallic interface similar to the one in Apple’s Mac OS X operating system. The new security screen lock and world clock work well and are also easy to set.

The iPod nano will be able to display photos and transfer them from iTunes. According to Apple representatives, it will not be compatible with Apple’s or other photo connectors for straight-to-nano digital picture transfers, and will not be compatible with voice recorder devices, either. Like the iPod mini, nano is solely intended to be a device for media playback and storage, not creation.

Screen quality on the iPod nano is precisely what you’d expect from Apple: highly visible, with bright white backlighting and good resolution comparable to that used on the full-sized color iPod. Despite its small size, it displays text and photographs legibly, and with ease. It duplicates in all key ways the interface of the color iPod, and plays back all the same genres of audio - audiobooks, podcasts, music - without any problems.

Of the new products introduced today, iPod nano is unquestionably the superior, smarter offering. It takes all of the most popular features from the full-sized color iPod and makes them work in a smaller, cheaper enclosure. It’s especially stunning in that it replicates the look and feel of a full-sized iPod in a matching enclosure, rather than shrinking the iPod mini’s anodized aluminum body, as most expected it to do. The black version is especially slick, with its dark gray Click Wheel, but the white version offers familiar beauty in a small size. We cannot wait to provide our full review.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ohio said:
Bro, you love to look down your nose at all these iPod owners... thinking they're all fashion-conscious lemmings. You've done it in every previous iPod thread I've seen as well.

But you're as much a lemming in your own group of tech-weenie early-adopters. All this added functionality that you think is so valuable is useless or even counter-productive for the majority of the population.
:stupid:

not to mention that the sound quality is largely a function of headphones. i'll stick with my ipod photo + headroom total airhead amp + senn hd600s ;)

anyway, on a non-audio snob (well, as much as an apple-audio-device user can be a snob) note, i am going to snap up that itunes phone as soon as it hits amazon.com, with their steep rebates and all...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Changleen said:
I'd get one if it wasn't for the ****in' DRM ****! DAMN I hate that!
that's a function of the iTunes Music Store, not the iPod. use an iPod with mp3s you rip (or download, whatever) and there's no DRM, just a trivial invisible folder setup designed to keep people from blatantly copying music between computers with iPods.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Once they come out with a 20gb version that is the same size I will be all over it. 1000 songs is not enough. :(

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
syadasti said:
Get over you lack of braincell when it comes to this topic...
Get over your complete lack of understanding when it comes to the common consumer.

The common consumer will take a stylish form factor over 4gb of extra storage any day of the week.

The common consumer thinks the pretty, crisp, color screen is a lot nicer than extended battery life.

The common consumer picks up an iPod and can almost immediately figure out how to play songs. The Rio's interface is good but it's not as good.

I don't like the iPods myself, battery life being the biggest problem for me. But Apple owns the market for a lot of reasons, their marketing team being only one of them. They make attractive, ergonomic, and simple products - and then market them well. Only the combination provides such an enormously popular product, not one of them alone.

One of Apple's strong points has always been getting to the core of what the public really wants. Not figuring out how their feature set will stack up against someone else's, but how their feature set will be used by 90% of the population.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
binary visions said:
The common consumer will take a stylish form factor over 4gb of extra storage any day of the week.

The common consumer thinks the pretty, crisp, color screen is a lot nicer than extended battery life.
agreed. i am the common consumer.

i just got a NIB Shuffle for $19...i'm quite tempted to put it up on ebay, and drop the money on a 2g Nano.