Quantcast

New Jersey speeding ticket

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I got caught doing 93 where is could do 65 in New Jersey. Normally drive very nicely and safely and I have never gotten a ticket before. Any advice?

Thanks!

Bixxle

Chimp
Dec 29, 2007
Get a higher paying job to pay your future insurance premiums...

I also suggest slowing down, or get better at speeding.

Bixxle

Chimp
Dec 29, 2007
Well I can pay the premium and never drive like that just wanted try it on a open piece of highway.
So what advice are you looking for? I'd fight it if I were you.You could at least get the ticket lowered.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I know nothing about getting ticket so I am just trying to figure out what to do. Do I just pay and that is it? Do I go to court? Do I hire a lawyer?

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Back when I lived in NY I got a ticket and showed up to the court date. Got it lowered to a parking ticket and had to goto defensive driving class. I was only 10 over though...you were nearly thirty. Best bet: call the court and ask. Heck, try calling the police. If you really do have a clean record, they might just take it easy on you...cant hurt to ask.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I got nabbed on the NJ turnpike without any cash back in the 80's. I promised to send them the money but never did.

I guess I am a fugitive now. Fight the power.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Your options are generally either go to court or pay it. If it's your first offense, going to court and talking to the prosecutor may be your best bet. You'd probably at least get it knocked down.

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
Sheeet CBJ. If you still had the Honda this wouldn't have happened. NJ points (things you get when you get a ticket like this) make your insurance premium go up. If you intend to keep speeding like this, your driver’s license will get suspended when you reach a certain point level. If you go to court you can prob. pay a few hundred extra bucks to get the points reduced or even eliminated. Call the boy, he can tell you all about points!!

Did you meet Andrew?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
You can read up here on points for NJ.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Violations/penalties.htm

Here in VA not only do points vary for each offense the amount of time it stays on your record changes. A reckless driving offense (which 93 in a 65 will get you) will stay on your driving record for 9 years.

I would go to court and talk to the judge. If you stopped promptly and were cooperative with the officer it will go a long way towards a reduced charge.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I live in New York and have a NYS license. I am most worried any possible insurance hike but according to this site www.redlichlaw.com/traffic/new-jersey-speeding-tickets.html

"New York drivers should not be affected - New York does not recognize out-of-state tickets (except, strangely, from Ontario and Quebec) and they do not appear on a NY driving record. Many other states recognize out-of-state tickets, and they do affect insurance."

They do however write this

"For New York drivers who get out-of-state tickets, these generally will not affect you. We have heard that tickets from Quebec and Ontario can affect a NY driving record, but we've never seen it. It is always possible that your insurance company will find out about an out-of-state violation, and if they do, your rates might go up"

tacklespore

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Texas
I'm pretty sure NJ still use the same CPU system. Mail in your check; however, write the amount for some small amount over the fine. When they send you a check for the difference, rip it up and throw it in the trash. Their CPU used to consider the trasaction open and points would not go onto your license. Still worth a try!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
show up and see if you can plead it down. worked every time I tried it in NY (including 23 over pleaded down to a $175 seatbelt violation, *and* I had a prior still on my record). 93 seems quite high, but you never know...

tacklespore

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Texas
I did get a $125 trespassing fine when I was out riding today. No signs or anything. I was informed it was military property. I said, "I was active duty Army." He wrote me a ticket. I'm taking the freaking thing to court just out of principle. @ss

Bixxle

Chimp
Dec 29, 2007
I thought they arrested for reckless driving?

who knows

I am a lolcat and i like to hop over fences with my LOLfriends. I wonder how many credits I can get for this....