Quantcast

New Karpiel UFO Sighting!!!!!

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Here is my “new” DH rig. I had to swap over a lot of parts off my last DH bike to get it built up so it is still a bit of a work in progress as I have a few parts on order to make some upgrades. I still need to cut the brake cables down a bit but I am going to wait till I get the new handle bars and fork before I do that.

Here is a quick overview and my first ride impressions: So far I have only been able to do one race on it but I do have more lined up so I will post a longer term review further down the line. My first impressions of the frame are very positive. I felt very comfortable on the bike, it took very little time getting used to it in terms of fit and ease of handling. It is extremely maneuverable, very easy to turn in sharp corners, wheelie, and jump. You can ride from the center of the bike for the most part so it doesn’t require a lot of body-english to get it to respond. The last DH bike I was riding was only 9.2lbs (including shock) and this one is 10.10lbs (including shock, rear axle, and headset cups). I figured between that and the fact that I am running a much heavier wheel set that I would have noticed the weight gain a little more. The weight is very well balanced and the center of gravity is very low. The bike also feels very stable at high speeds and seems to handle square edge hits ok (the wheel path is like the letter j but tilted to the left so it has a little rearward wheel travel before moving up and then in) but I suspect this will get even better once I have a softer spring on there and can get all the travel out of the frame.

I have done very little experimentation with the frame adjustments. I have mostly run the rear suspension in the max travel setting at a progressive rate and I currently have the HA set at 65 degrees. So far it all feels really good with the exception of the rear end ramping up a bit too quickly for me. This is mostly due to the fact that the rear spring is too heavy so I will be putting a 350# spring on there in the very near future. I did move it to the linear setting for a little bit but the small bump sensitivity was lost due to the heavier spring so I will try this setting again once I have the proper spring weight.

I am really excited about the potential of this bike. As it is now I am really happy with the performance and handling of the bike. I can’t wait to see how well it does once I get the suspension dialed in properly.

Special thanks to Brian HCM#1 for his time, help and patience. He has been extremely diligent about responding to my questions, helping me with trouble shooting and set up, and helping me get the additional parts I needed very quickly. Thanks for your time and support, very much appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Is it only me or does the front end seems very high? Still looks nice even thogh I think the logo is hideous.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
What kind of BB height to you have there? It must be the pictures, but the head angle looks steeper than 65...

Great looking bike!
I believe in that setting the BB height is 14 1/4" and the head angle in about 65.5.
Both of you are right:D. I think it more of an illusion than anything. The tubing has interesting/different angles and the top tube is unusually low and the gussets at the headtube probably have something to do with the illusion too. It was a concern of mine before buying the bike because I thought every photo made the front end look steep.

The current setting as pictured is as Brian explained above. However, I have since moved the cam slightly forward (but not to the forward most position) lowering the BB slightly and slackening the HA slightly. Between that and the fact that the i2i length on this shock is just shy of 9.25" I am at 65HA and can get it a bit slacker still if desired.

Polished is the new lime green/black/white/rootbeer.

Great looking bike.
Thanks. I really wanted it in rootbeer but it just wasn't available.....so I settled for this instead ;)

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Is it only me or does the front end seems very high? Still looks nice even thogh I think the logo is hideous.
Looks are deceiving, it standard height. I thought the same thing when I owned it, but I measured it up to other bikes and it was the same.
Sorry for the lack of creativity, but again, both of you are right. I was trying to shoot straight ahead but due the angle of my driveway and me being on my knees I ended up shoot up slightly. It gives it the appearance of being really tall. Those bars only have 1.5" rise but by today's standards that is fairly tall.

I don't recall what the Headtube length is off the top of my head but I did compare it to my brothers Specialized Big Hit DH - medium (that was the only other DH frame around at the moment) and it is shorter than that, not by much though.

I am throwing some new parts on it in the near future so I will get some updated numbers on the height of the bars since one of the new parts are new bars - wider and lower than the current Easton Scandium DH bars on there now.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Easton Scandium bars? didn't easton make only composite bars? Or are they some strange xc bars you've put there.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Easton Scandium bars? didn't easton make only composite bars? Or are they some strange xc bars you've put there.
Nope, these are most definitely scandium and they are most definitely DH bars. I'll take a picture of them with the new bars when I get them so you can see the scandium bars and at the same time we can see how different the new lower/wider bars look (may be more appropriate for the "low rise bar" thread).

edit: Norbar, you are correct (in a sense), Easton is no longer making these bars and I don't know if they make any scandium parts for that matter anymore. Therefore there are strictly Aluminum and composite offerings now.

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
part of me still wants to get a new updated Apocalypse to replace my old one...
sigh...

Bike looks great! Even my "karpiel-hater" friends dig the new Disco.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
part of me still wants to get a new updated Apocalypse to replace my old one...
sigh...

Bike looks great! Even my "karpiel-hater" friends dig the new Disco.
Thanks. Contact Brian (see above), he can tell when the new ones are going to be available. I don't think there are many changes, maybe just geometry updates for that frame but Brian should know more. The Disco and the Army have gone through the most significant changes.....obviously. They are very race oriented bikes now.

Can you elaborate on the 9.25 shock? Is that standard?

Brian- Are these frame made in Poland? By Jan?
The 9.25 shock is not standard. It was a 9.5 i2i that was sent to PUSH and cut down. I have been running a 9.5 lately and I haven't decided which one I like the best. Given the range of adjustability the frame has, I am sure most people will find several settings using the 9.5 that they like.

Cool, looks good, a lot lower and slacker than my original Disco!

Which is good cos its a bit tall and steep for modern DH tracks.
It is much lower and slacker. I have gotten the BB just below 14" in the slackest setting - manual says 65 degrees static but it looks slacker in person. Like the V-10, once you settle into the sag it slackens out quite a bit. I have the new build almost done so I will be providing some updated photos in the near future.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Thanks. Contact Brian (see above), he can tell when the new ones are going to be available. I don't think there are many changes, maybe just geometry updates for that frame but Brian should know more. The Disco and the Army have gone through the most significant changes.....obviously. They are very race oriented bikes now.
Oh, I've already talked to him :D But its a wee bit out of my price range at the moment...shame too, 'cause I really liked my old Apocalypse.

I really dig the new low, long, slack looks of the Disco and Army now. :thumb:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Can you elaborate on the 9.25 shock? Is that standard?

Brian- Are these frame made in Poland? By Jan?
Shocks are 9.5x3, the one Time-Bomb has is my old pre-production frame. I had it shortened by PUSH, it was just an experiment.

Frames are made in Poland by Jan, however Duncon purchased Karpiel a little over a year ago.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
It is much lower and slacker. I have gotten the BB just below 14" in the slackest setting - manual says 65 degrees static but it looks slacker in person. Like the V-10, once you settle into the sag it slackens out quite a bit. I have the new build almost done so I will be providing some updated photos in the near future.
Nice one!:)

Ive made a custom short body 2.5 stroke shock for mine, made it lower and therefore slacker and a lot better than stock!:thumb:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Nice one!:)

Ive made a custom short body 2.5 stroke shock for mine, made it lower and therefore slacker and a lot better than stock!:thumb:
yeah, I can see this type of mod being way more advantageous for an older Disco than the new ones. The shorter shock I am experimenting with really started as a band-aide fix for Brian since he was running a frame that was too small for him. Things felt a bit twitchy so slackening the bike in the progressive setting was thought to be the solution for him. Turns out he just needed a bigger bike. Brian can elaborate more on this if necessary. The small frame is a perfect fit for me at 5'9". Since I have had the luxury to play around with both shock sizes I have found that there is enough range of adjustment on the frame to find multiple settings that are comfortable running the 9.5" shock the bike was designed for. I really don't think the shortening of the shock is necessary on the new design. As is, the specs are right in line with all the other high end modern DH bikes.:thumb: