Quantcast

New Kowa prototype DH fork

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Hate the look - welcome to '99. I will assume they are doing damper testing before making an effort on the chassis.

I wonder if they will call it the Coke or Gism or something similarly awesome?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I like the looks but I doubt it is the final version. Or at least I hope it won't.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hate the look - welcome to '99. I will assume they are doing damper testing before making an effort on the chassis.

I wonder if they will call it the Coke or Gism or something similarly awesome?
considering the costs of casting fork lowers... this is the obvious answer.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
I'm sorry Kowa, but if you are going to send your fork out for testing to someone who can't be bothered to cut down their hydraulic lines i'm going to draw inferences based on that about their ability to develop a data set on suspension.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Chocolate stanchions, man I'd have to paint the lowers tan and do a chocolate/peanut butter theme.

I'm sure it will be good, the lowers are a bit interesting, 2 skinny archs vs, 1 solid bigger one. I'm sure the 2 is a bit stiffer for twist being they have some spacing between them. I think it has potential, kinda dig it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Chocolate stanchions, man I'd have to paint the lowers tan and do a chocolate/peanut butter theme.

I'm sure it will be good, the lowers are a bit interesting, 2 skinny archs vs, 1 solid bigger one. I'm sure the 2 is a bit stiffer for twist being they have some spacing between them. I think it has potential, kinda dig it.
The lowers look like old boxxer lowers. and the uppers are different
I think they look like crap. IMO

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I had one Kowa fork. It was crap.

Not sure why there is any excitement about this one. Do they have some secret great history I don't know about?

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I really like the looks of it... across between the old Pace dh fork and a White Brothers groove race. Shouldn't be too heavy with a design like that. If they would just designed it to use the new Fox seals and Avalanche internals, they might have something.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
How do you figure?

The Kowa that I had was built with crap bushings and a suspect damper at best. Wasn't flexy, but hardly amazing in any regard. Had the Boxxer brake mount too, which was stupid. Had adjustable travel from 170 to 0, but you couldn't have it at 170 because it tops out so you had to run it at 160. Honestly, what the hell do I want with a fork at 0 travel? The crown would actually touch the seals.

All this shows me is another taiwan company that barely gets what real suspension and mountain biking is about, and instead designs stuff based on what the internet tells them. Its clueless.

So how exactly does this fork have ANY rep for being even somewhat good? At least SUNTOUR and X-FUSION have proven they can make good stuff and deserve some rep. These guys....i have my doubts.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It's not new. It's CNCed lowers on a 200SX. They were going to release it, but I think they're working on the damping more. Kashima alright "you saw it here first" with Kowa.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i keep confusing kowa with showa...
I think that's exactly what they are betting on. One of those "owa" suspension companies that knows what they are doing right? I have the diagrams for their stuff from a few years back, just simple ported dampers like the older pre-motion control boxxers. Other companies were using far better valving at the same time. Nothing special. Doesn't mean they can't come out with something good, but I wouldn't go out of my way...