Quantcast

New laptop battery not charging?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I bought a new laptop battery for my girlfriends laptop last week. Popped it in and it was charged. However, the battery didn't recharge. Is there a way to diagnose whether the issue is with the battery, or with the computer; short of finding another laptop that uses the same battery? The last battery in the machine was totally hosed (you unplug laptop, laptop dies), so no help there...

Dell Inspiron 6000, if that helps.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
AFAIK, the only way to identify an issue with the battery vs. the machine is, as you said, finding another machine with the same battery.

Given that you bought this new one because the laptop wouldn't run on battery power, and the new one exhibits problems, I'd say it's a fair bet that the problem is in the laptop.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
AFAIK, the only way to identify an issue with the battery vs. the machine is, as you said, finding another machine with the same battery.

Given that you bought this new one because the laptop wouldn't run on battery power, and the new one exhibits problems, I'd say it's a fair bet that the problem is in the laptop.
The old battery just lost its charge over time..."over time" meaning 6 months new. Facking laptops. :banghead:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's not natural. It definitely didn't "just" lose its charge in 6 months, I've got 3 and 4 year old Dell batteries that are fine.

My guess is a problem in the charging circuitry.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
That's not natural. It definitely didn't "just" lose its charge in 6 months, I've got 3 and 4 year old Dell batteries that are fine.

My guess is a problem in the charging circuitry.
Huh...'cause it progressively got worse and worse. It would say it had a full charge and last 15 minutes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Right, I'm just saying that it's not normal for a lithium battery to conk out in 6 months. Not even a crappy lithium battery. So it may still have been a bad battery, but you've had two unusual battery problems with the same laptop...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
my armada 700 has a 7 y.o. battery that crapped out after 2 yrs, then i did a firmware update & has been flawless eversince.

have you taken the battery out & done the pushbutton test (4 green lights on mine)? i assume it has one of those features like regular AA batteries do to reveal the "charge" (in quotes b/c it's misleading as to what the actual charge is)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Didn't see that last post Stinkle...I'll have to update the firmware.

But yeah, definitely a problem with the lappy, a girl she works with has the same craptop and it charged fine on hers. Stupid fvcking laptops and stupid fvcking Dell.