Quantcast

New little GUY added to our family today...

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Congrats, that bike is dope. I have the same problem with fork clearance on my eastern. I have a pike too, and I've had to drop the knobs. luckily I have an old dj1 with a cracked crown that im gonna try to get crash replaced for an 08.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Ok, question.

I had a really good session tonight at the local park. For over 2 hours I was the only one there so it made nice for getting a feel for the bike and then getting down to buisness. I basically did every trick I know how on it. Granted it was odd riding a park with a suspension fork, but I got used it. The extra legnth only got in the way a bit, and I was doing no-footed cans over the box, something that concerned me with the higher TT, but it worked fine.

One question that I have, how many of you lock out your forks when you ride? I left mine with the compression amped up, but not locked out. As I was leaving I talked to a guy who was just getting there and he happened to have an older Pike. He said he locks his out and hasn't had a problem with it. I am concerned that it would blow, but maybe not. What are your thoughts on this.

FYI, I did run into some foot issues on x-ups, but that I imagine is to be expected (and not nearly as bad as my MOB). I turn the bars towards my forward foot which really doesn't help things. Perhaps going down to arms that are 170 instead of 175 would help as well, but I'm going to just feel this out first and change later if necessary.

Thanks for all of the positive comments on the build, but I will give the credit to Landon. Its a sweet bike, and it keeps proving itself every step of the way. One of my BMX buddies was skeptical but very impressed in the end. I really feel that this bike perfect acts as a go between.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I had a really good session tonight at the local park. For over 2 hours I was the only one there
Which park? That sounds like a dream. Having to weave through all the little groms and the skaters poaching runs is the main reason I hardly go to the park. Sorry I missed it last night!

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
4 seasons, Madison.

It was great. I had to come home early to make some refried beans for my class tonight, but it would have been a great night to stay. Dave and Marty got there as I was leaving, along with a guy that works at Pacific and rides really well on his big bike, plus another guy on a MTB. Oh well, maybe next time. You really get worked when your the only one riding and not waiting for other people to take their turns.

Rumors of a HUGE indoor park in Janesvegas, BTW. I talked to the kids a couple weeks ago, not holding my breath, but we will see.

Oh, and April 19-20 you wanna go ride Pville? They are having their race.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
4 seasons, Madison.

It was great. I had to come home early to make some refried beans for my class tonight, but it would have been a great night to stay. Dave and Marty got there as I was leaving, along with a guy that works at Pacific and rides really well on his big bike, plus another guy on a MTB. Oh well, maybe next time. You really get worked when your the only one riding and not waiting for other people to take their turns.

Rumors of a HUGE indoor park in Janesvegas, BTW. I talked to the kids a couple weeks ago, not holding my breath, but we will see.

Oh, and April 19-20 you wanna go ride Pville? They are having their race.
Indoor park in Jville? LOL. If that progresses as fast as the outdoor park they'll both be done around the same time...never!

I should be game for Pville. Cool concert the 18th at Backbar if you like Caroline's Spine and/or acoustic shows! Just so happens I love both.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Jon, that's a banger right there. ...don't know how I missed this thread until now.
Glad the rear rim worked out and served such a deserving purpose on that hot-rod.
Very slick build. And the weight is great!

and on a side note, I thought you could set the lockout on the RS forks and have like a blow-off feature on hard hits that would only compress on hard landings but remain rigid for most other riding.... something to that effect, but maybe my explanation or understanding is wrong though.

anyway, just gotta say, excellent ride, very drool worthy... as well as the rest of your two-wheel line-up, haha!

oh yeah, gotta ask, what is your bb height right now (and fork a2c height)? Just want to compare some numbers.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Dave, not sure on the bbrkt height, I'll have to get back to you on that. I'm not hitting on tranis or anything with 175s so it can't be to bad. The a2c is 460, dialed in.

Thanks again for the rim, I don't know what I would have done otherwise.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Jon, that's a banger right there. ...don't know how I missed this thread until now.
Glad the rear rim worked out and served such a deserving purpose on that hot-rod.
Very slick build. And the weight is great!

and on a side note, I thought you could set the lockout on the RS forks and have like a blow-off feature on hard hits that would only compress on hard landings but remain rigid for most other riding.... something to that effect, but maybe my explanation or understanding is wrong though.

anyway, just gotta say, excellent ride, very drool worthy... as well as the rest of your two-wheel line-up, haha!

oh yeah, gotta ask, what is your bb height right now (and fork a2c height)? Just want to compare some numbers.
FLOODGATE!! best invention ever made ;) I love my pike now.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
BikeSatori:

Those number are the same as the old Fall Guy. Zero BB drop,a 460mm a-c fork and a 71 degree HT angle.

No, standard pegs do NOT fit on the new Fall Guy.

Although the Fall Guy is very light, it's designed for a long life of trails and flowy park/street riding using a short travel suspension fork. Anyone using the Fall Guy for this is in for a real treat.

-L

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Well I got to hop aboard the minty-fresh FG last night for a bit and it's a sweet ride! Unfortunately my fitness and skillset has fallen apart over the winter so I didn't feel comfortable trying much of anything on Jon's new toy. The things that were instantly apparent though were:

1) it's about 5 pounds lighter than my cruiser.

2) even with a small suspension fork the bars were about 1" LOWER than my cruiser at rest, and 2" lower after I sagged the fork out. I had considered getting some 90mm height bars for my cruiser to save a TON of weight, but this might have talked me out of it, I'm not sure. It's not prohibitive, but at 6'1" I felt I was starting to take on that "gorilla humpin' a football" posture. I'll have to ride some more to see what I think for sure.

3) Between the 3/4" shorter backend and lighter weight the FG pops great. It's the same feeling when I switched cruisers and lost about the same numbers. Instantly makes you feel like a stronger rider, the bike does what you tell it to.

Overall, very cool bike and awesome spec. I'm minty-green with envy! :)

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Good hanging with you Tony, I'm looking forward to going to Pville, we will try to get you up to par by then ;-)

Anyway, Savage, its totally doable. I was almost pulling foot-jam whips first try. The only issue is I am concerned about the fork loosening up after repeatedly being put through that stress. I'll probably back off on that. I guess I'm a little nervous about how suspension forks hold up to BMX style abuse. Oh well, we will see. I'd just rather not experiment with a $650 fork. That argyle is looking more and more tempting if I could get it down to the same A2C.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Well a mint green 409 would look dope on that bike. But that wouldn't really do anthing for you if you are going for strength I guess. I hear the air assist can be a bitch sometimes.