Quantcast

New Logo Idea

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
ok...i'm at it again. this time i have to pin something down since i have a paying customer who is going to buy a massage for a gift. so i HAVE to get her a gift certificate by Friday.

what are your thoughts on this symbol for my logo. I still need to work on the font style for Intuitive Touch.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
use this for maximum profit

I couldnt resist. I like your logo though, looks STRONG. You better have hands of steel.

Last edited:

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
use this for maximum profit

I couldnt resist. I like your logo though, looks STRONG. You better have hands of steel.

nice touch...wrong business. ;)

thanks...i'm really liking this one. i like how it emulates the yin yang theory with the female hands and the male body and how the hands are dark and the body is white...

i am REALLY struggling with the font for the name. any suggestions would be awesome!!

and how bout color?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
You know Graphics, the more I think about this, the more I find it unnerving.

You know how they have those black people only hair places? Well, outside those places it's not like there is a sign that says "We usually only cut black people hair," but there is always something giving it away like some huge graphic on the window outside.
Well, that's what this thing reminds me of. It's not that I'd have a problem with getting a massage from a black person, but Id wonder if I was welcome in there. Those black hands... I dont know. They make me nervous.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You know Graphics, the more I think about this, the more I find it unnerving.

You know how they have those black people only hair places? Well, outside those places it's not like there is a sign that says "We usually only cut black people hair," but there is always something giving it away like some huge graphic on the window outside.
Well, that's what this thing reminds me of. It's not that I'd have a problem with getting a massage from a black person, but Id wonder if I was welcome in there. Those black hands... I dont know. They make me nervous.
omg...bwahahahhahahahahahaha... :shakefist::weee:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
and posting just to point out your opinion of me as a designer is not constructive.

so listen oh great guru designer...how bout helping me with some ideas instead of being a prick all the time.

just a thought.
Burly's right, it looks cheesy and wrong.

Research some high end spas, resorts, etc. and see what they're doing graphically.

I've been lucky enough to work at several agencies and studios where I was drilled many, many, many times with the question: "Why the fuq did you do that?" Being an older designer now, I now answer that question in meetings with: "Because it's perfect for the brand." And I believe it.

Do you believe in that mark?

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
Burly's right, it looks cheesy and wrong.

Research some high end spas, resorts, etc. and see what they're doing graphically.

I've been lucky enough to work at several agencies and studios where I was drilled many, many, many times with the question: "Why the fuq did you do that?" Being an older designer now, I now answer that question in meetings with: "Because it's perfect for the brand." And I believe it.

Do you believe in that mark?
i have been researching high end spas, etc. most of them are doing very typical relaxation imagery.

i'm trying to incorporate fitness into it.

as for the mark...i DO believe in it. it feels close to right. but agree that it's still not quite there. as stated above...i like how the symbol emulates the yin yang concept of opposites and balance by having the female hands with the male body and having the dark with the light. however it almost seems like it should be reversed in that regard. the hands should be the lighter of the imagery and the male body darker.

as for your first comment...i am not an artist. i can't draw so i have no choice but to look for imagery i can use in combination to reflect a design i'm trying to create.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
i am not an artist. i can't draw so i have no choice but to look for imagery i can use in combination to reflect a design i'm trying to create.
I'm confused, I thought you were a graphic artist.

Maybe you could try combining a strong type face with a simple, yet soft pastel like background. Avoid the logo altogether if drawing is not your strength. It will just end up looking cheesy. Besides, when it comes to massage, word of mouth will be a more effective form of advertising.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
i'm a graphic DESIGNER. can't draw to save my life. don't think that lessens my ability to design as stinky*ss would like to infer...either way it pays the bills so i'm not complaining.

thanks angry for your suggestions. i agree word of mouth will be my most effective form of advertising. however i have a client who is wanting to buy a gift certificate for a friend and i have nothing to give her to give her friend. either way...i still need a "look" for business cards, gift certificates, and advertising.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Your logo doesn't need to be so literal.

Logos represent a brand. There can be many facets of that brand which cater to different customers under the basic principles of the company.

Marketing will be what positions your business as 'athlete focused', not the logo on your card. I would create a single logo that can be used to targeting a wide variety of clients.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
thanks dan-o. i think my struggles come from the fact that i'm designing for ME. i think i get caught up in all the aspects of looks i like and ideas i have that it keeps me from being able to look at it objectively and maybe more broad. with that said...i've asked the help of a guy in my bike org and he's agreed to see if he can throw something together for me. i've seen his stuff and he's good at what he does. in exchange i offered to give him or his wife free massages. :)

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
You shouldn't be doing logo design then, sorry.

It looks like clipart. Do you have any formal design training?
i'm doing logo design for MYSELF. how can you say i shouldn't be doing logo design? i disagree.

and no i have no formal design training. i'm self taught and have been doing design work for well over 15 years. I've not looked to create award winning work...just the best i can do for what the company wants that have hired me.

however...to say that one has to be able to draw and have formal training in order to design is ridiculous. this type of artistic arrogance is one of the reasons i went into massage. there are all levels of design. it depends on where and who you work for. I have worked for corporate in-house art studios, magazine publications, and a variety of ad agencies for both online and print. my designs are solid and have paid my bills.

my struggle with this comes more from it being for myself than my capabilities at design. and yes...i sound a little defensive. i posted to brainstorm ideas and get constructive criticism not to validate my life's career up to this point.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
I apologize, I misread your OP and thought you were doing this for a client.

it's ok. i got overly defensive. my apologies as well.

either way...i'm looking foward to not thinking about it anymore and see what this guy comes up with. he designed some really kick ass bike jersey's for our bike org...oddly enough...he came on the scene a little too late. the anniversary jersey was a club competition and voted on before he was aware. (ironically i won that :shocked: and get a free jersey out of it)

subsequently we've chatted about careers. and he's got some really great designs. (and professionally trained i think ;) )

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
i'm a graphic DESIGNER. can't draw to save my life.
and no i have no formal design training. i'm self taught and have been doing design work for well over 15 years. I've not looked to create award winning work...just the best i can do for what the company wants that have hired me.

however...to say that one has to be able to draw and have formal training in order to design is ridiculous. this type of artistic arrogance is one of the reasons i went into massage.

It has been my understanding, as well as the entire art community, that drawing is the main fundamental basic to all the visual arts. Drawing is not just about making marks on a surface, it's the first step in learning how to observe the world around you and to separate reality from what you think you see. How someone can design with out that basic understanding is beyond my comprehension.

I have no intention of invalidating your career. But to call those of us who have dedicated our lives to art and have endured several years of formal training, being slapped with the label " artistic arrogance " is fvcking insulting. So please allow me to beat my chest for a moment. My mother taught me how to draw at a very young age. By the time I was 16 and taking formal art courses, for two years in high school, I was winning drawing, design and photography awards. I spent five and a half years pursuing my art degree. During that time I was exposed to multiple disciplines of art, and eventually settled on painting. As a painting major I was nominated for fellowship to Yale. After graduating with a BFA I began further studies in metalsmithing and attended Penland school on scholarship. By the age of 26 I had opened my first metals studio and gallery. To this day I continue to produce award winning designs and push the envelope of my mediums capabilities. On saturday I turn 40, marking 24 years of taking a serious path in the arts.

So when you ask for design advise then scoff at the notion of formal training and declare us arrogant, I take offense.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
It has been my understanding, as well as the entire art community, that drawing is the main fundamental basic to all the visual arts. Drawing is not just about making marks on a surface, it's the first step in learning how to observe the world around you and to separate reality from what you think you see. How someone can design with out that basic understanding is beyond my comprehension.

I have no intention of invalidating your career. But to call those of us who have dedicated our lives to art and have endured several years of formal training, being slapped with the label " artistic arrogance " is fvcking insulting. So please allow me to beat my chest for a moment. My mother taught me how to draw at a very young age. By the time I was 16 and taking formal art courses, for two years in high school, I was winning drawing, design and photography awards. I spent five and a half years pursuing my art degree. During that time I was exposed to multiple disciplines of art, and eventually settled on painting. As a painting major I was nominated for fellowship to Yale. After graduating with a BFA I began further studies in metalsmithing and attended Penland school on scholarship. By the age of 26 I had opened my first metals studio and gallery. To this day I continue to produce award winning designs and push the envelope of my mediums capabilities. On saturday I turn 40, marking 24 years of taking a serious path in the arts.

So when you ask for design advise then scoff at the notion of formal training and declare us arrogant, I take offense.
well i'm sorry i offended you. now you know exactly how i FELT. i have worked my *ss off to get where i am. i have had to learn programs from scratch and struggle rather than be taught. i totally applaud your accomplishments. and envy them as well. but don't discredit the ability to design without all of that either. i have no doubt your designs FAR exceed mine. but my skills ARE still valuable in the workplace. not all design jobs out there require such accomplishments. hell...most of the places i've worked at would take all that you've done and squash it into a little box and then hand you another and say "this is what i want". that was my point in what i stated.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
well i'm sorry i offended you. now you know exactly how i FELT. i have worked my *ss off to get where i am. i have had to learn programs from scratch and struggle rather than be taught. i totally applaud your accomplishments. and envy them as well. but don't discredit the ability to design without all of that either. i have no doubt your designs FAR exceed mine. but my skills ARE still valuable in the workplace. not all design jobs out there require such accomplishments. hell...most of the places i've worked at would take all that you've done and squash it into a little box and then hand you another and say "this is what i want". that was my point in what i stated.
Like I said, it is not my intention to invalidate your career. One of the world's most renowned calligraphers, who makes his living as graphic designer, is completely self-taught. His name is John Stevens, and the man can draw. As someone who is interested in typography, Stinkyboy has probably heard of him. Google him if you want to check out his work, even though his lettering can be seen on any number of publications and ads.

Another thing that you learn in art school is how to deal with harsh criticism of your work. You got bent out of shape over Stiny's comments and let it show. I'm not defending him, just telling you how those of us who are formally trained think.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
Like I said, it is not my intention to invalidate your career. One of the world's most renowned calligraphers, who makes his living as graphic designer, is completely self-taught. His name is John Stevens, and the man can draw. As someone who is interested in typography, Stinkyboy has probably heard of him. Google him if you want to check out his work, even though his lettering can be seen on any number of publications and ads.

Another thing that you learn in art school is how to deal with harsh criticism of your work. You got bent out of shape over Stiny's comments and let it show. I'm not defending him, just telling you how those of us who are formally trained think.

well that's cause it's stinky. and we have history. i don't think there's enough formal training that can help me deal with him. :biggrin:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
:clapping:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Wow. No matter how hard Shirley's post made me laugh (hard BTW, i now have a hernia). I feel bad for the thrashing you are getting. Maybe its cuz I never went to art school, so my head isn't that big. :D

First read some typography books & study them. Typography is more than downloading "1,001 Free Fonts".
Then after you have a basic understanding of the art (yes it is it's own art form) try & stick to a text only logo with minimal design elements. Take a KISS approach.
You are overthinking it.