Quantcast

New Long-travel Trailbike From Santa Cruz

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
NEW LONG-TRAVEL TRAILBIKE FROM SANTA CRUZ
MtnBikeAction | 14 Apr | R. Cunningham

Nomads will be available painted or polished.

We had a chance to see history being made at Santa Cruz Bikes last month, but we couldn’t tell you about it until today. The Nomad, is a 6.5-inch travel trailbike that is capable of handling 2.5 inch downhill tires and strong enough to sport dual-crown forks. We know; there are a handful of worthy contenders that duplicate the Nomad’s numbers. What makes the latest Santa Cruz stand head and shoulders above its neighbors, however, is its profile. It looks as sweet as it rides.

The Nomad’s whimsical curved tubes and monocoque top tube are functional too. Engineers at Santa Cruz busted numbers and worked out suspension rates for almost a year before the prototypes were built. The sexy shape of the chassis lets many frame members do double duty—which slices the weight of the Nomad down to about 32 pounds, ready to rock.

VPP stable-platform rear end

Rob Roskop, the company’s number one man says that Santa Cruz wanted to build in the freeriding and gravity performance of their VP-Free into a bike that could be used for trail riding—or just going into town for an expresso.

We spun a prototype around Santa Cruz (yeah, there actually is a town named after the bike), and it delivered on Rob’s promise. The Nomad is a blast to ride and it pedals firmly enough to sprint through yellow lights—or even climb steep chutes. We predict that its looks alone, however, will inspire a revolution among mountain bike makers. Today’s dual-suspension bikes are functional and stark looking. The Nomad is equally functional, but it inspires. Once your eyes trace its sexy lines, you just have to ride it.

Want more? Rob says he’ll have a couple of Nomads at the Sea Otter today, so spin by their truck for a look-see. If you can‘t make the Otter, check out the upcoming June MBA print mag, or log onto www.santacruzbikes.com The Nomad will be released later this year.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
THe pic in this thread from directly side-on actually looks way better than the other pics posted yesterday. Judging by these pics the TT is only about 1" higher than it needs to be for the sake of looks. It looks pretty good here, much better than I thought before...

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
punkassean said:
THe pic in this thread from directly side-on actually looks way better than the other pics posted yesterday. Judging by these pics the TT is only about 1" higher than it needs to be for the sake of looks. It looks pretty good here, much better than I thought before...
:stupid: I was thinking the exact same thing.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I realized why it looks better in this MBA pic. It's because it has a DHX air on it and the piggy-back chamber fills in the otherwise gaping void below the "gas tank". Having a piggy-back shock makes it look more utilitarian. The other pics have it with an RP3 AVA shock.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Cash-Money said:
so now with this nomad, and the VPfree, they can get rid of the bullit
dude i dont know if you noticed. but for evry vp bike santa cruz has there is a single piv as well. they like having the variety so that people who dont like vpp dont need to get it and can still have a santa cruz.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
lovebunny said:
dude i dont know if you noticed. but for evry vp bike santa cruz has there is a single piv as well. they like having the variety so that people who dont like vpp dont need to get it and can still have a santa cruz.
V-10?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
.:Jeenyus:. said:
That's just because the single pivot equivalent to the V-10 sucked so much ass that they had to scrap it...

As far as this bike goes... Good idea (travel, weight, intended market), but with a bizarre, "different only for the sake of being different" design execution. I'm always leery of products with form that wasn't determined by function.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Santa Cruz bikes have been getting more and more "arty" looking every year. Some of it looks good to me, I like the new v-10. That thing looks like a goose taking a dump.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
binary visions said:
That's just because the single pivot equivalent to the V-10 sucked so much ass that they had to scrap it...
Heh, the Super8, that was a terrible frame. I rode it for a month before finding somthing else. BB7 woooo.

I think It looks pretty cool. I think I would rather ride one of those new Sworks Enduro frames.. braaappp