Quantcast

New Macs..... WHOAH!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
SkaredShtles said:
It runs a Sybase database. Actually, there are several individual Sybase dataservers running. It's a Sun 2900 running Solaris 8.

That'll do it! I specced a DB server for a client that cost them over 12k in ram alone. They flew off the handle, and then caved in and bought it. Their DB has not crashed yet. :D

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So what classifies a "supercomputer?" Do those even exist anymore? I remember when a teraflop was a big deal, now you can buy a home computer that can do 26+ Teraflops? are "supercomputers" just regular computers now?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Supercoputers now are usually clusters of "nodes" seperate processing units. I think the university of virginia was tops for awhile with a mac sponsored cluster server. Can't remember what the university was.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Transcend said:
Supercoputers now are usually clusters of "nodes" seperate processing units. I think the university of virginia was tops for awhile with a mac sponsored cluster server. Can't remember what the university was.
of course, not all problems are suitable for such clusters... there are still uses for big iron.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
golgiaparatus said:
Heh... too many pages to read here... 4 G5 processors? Thats one loud, wind sucking, power hungry M'fer right there. I have a G5 and its rediculous how many fans are in it. Its fast though, granted.
well, not quite: two dual-core processors don't quite equate to four single core processors. but i wouldn't turn her down :heart:

:D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
BigMike said:
Thats what I was talking about when I said supercomputer. So what kind of processing power does a thing like that have? 200 processors and 349875 gigs of ram? :D
Here are specs from an IBM Big Blue:

System Details
Processor:
PowerPC 440 700 MHz (2.8 GFlops)
Topology/Interconnect:
Proprietary
Operating System:
CNK/Linux
Linpack
Processors:

Yes - apparently they have over 65,000 processors in it. :think:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
BigMike said:
Why not? Isnt a dual core processor equal to 2 singles?
if it was wouldn't the benchmarks all double? but they don't :think: . i don't know technically why it's not as fast as two separate ones but it's true.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Toshi said:
if it was wouldn't the benchmarks all double? but they don't :think: . i don't know technically why it's not as fast as two separate ones but it's true.
Mostly because they multi-core systems will still share the same cache, northbridge, {rest of system and inherent bottlenecks} and so forth as the single core had dedicated to itself.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
nerds. :D
In high school, we took a field trip to see a Cray (x-mp?) & though it was the coolest thing. It even had a couch built in to it.

....& yes, that is one sweet machine (the apple). I imagine the 16 gigs of RAM would come in handy running Maya, AE, photoshop, illustrator & FCP, all at once, doing multiple renders, while surfing RM.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
rigidhack said:
Nice, but major overkill for anything I'd ever do. I'm still waiting for the new iMac I ordered a week ago. A 2 ghz G5 with 1g of RAM is enough.

Wonder if it will make Word run any faster? :rolleyes:

did you get one of the new ones with iSight built in so Steve Jobs can spy on you?