Quantcast

New Macs..... WHOAH!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So Mac just announced their new stuff. It includes a new line of Powerbooks, with better resolution and battery. What I'm really interested in is the new QUAD CORE G5!!

Just for fun, I built oen on the 'net, quad core G5, 16GB ram, 1TB Hard drive, 2 30" monitors, and all the other goodies, and it only came to $23,469 :eek:

Just think of the possibilites, final cut studio would run flawlessly, as will Adobe CS2. :drool:

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
mmm...final cut pro...I'm using pinnacle right now, but my brother has final cut on his G4, and it's wonderful. How i'd love to have an apple for that reason alone.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Yeah, but that includes two of the 30" apple displays :drool:

You can get a quad core starting at $3299, which is still steep, but for a quad G5...... not that bad. That plus one of those cheap Dell monitors, and your set.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
BigMike said:
I wonder if its physically possible to use 16 Gigs of RAM. I mean, what programs could use even a third of that?
photoshop + high res images. database programs with large databases -- anything that can be cached is beneficial...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BigMike said:
I wonder if its physically possible to use 16 Gigs of RAM. I mean, what programs could use even a third of that?
Any video or photo editing software, given a large enough file.

Try outputting some HD dvd files for a full 4.3gb DVD...I am sure you can use it all.

I know PS CS2 will use it all for scratch discs as well as operation memory. Hell i blow through 2gb in about 2 seconds working on large tiff files.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
SkaredShtles said:
Have you been paying attention for the last 10 years? :think:
When I was testing the newest Intel boards (at Intel) that support 8gb of ram, I had to write my own tests that would address out that far because there are no commercial programs available that are built to support that much memory. Photoshop doesn't see it as avaialbe space because the OS isn't built to support it. Even if the next rev of OS 10 supports it, I think you would still have to rebult PS to acess it. I could be wring since I don't know Mac OS.

Just my $.02

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
dwaugh said:
Sounds nice, slightly way overpriced, but the fact remains that it's a Mac! :dead: hahahahahaha
That my friend is the one thing you can always count on Apple for. I worked for them for a few years back in the mid 90's and can assure you that they do their damndest to mark up stuff as much as they can get away with.

At the time, if you needed to replace a motherboard on any PC it would run you about $1000. Need a new display for your laptop? $1000. :rolleyes:

It gives their users the sense that they are in an exlusive club. :monkey:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jimmydean said:
When I was testing the newest Intel boards (at Intel) that support 8gb of ram, I had to write my own tests that would address out that far because there are no commercial programs available that are built to support that much memory. Photoshop doesn't see it as avaialbe space because the OS isn't built to support it. Even if the next rev of OS 10 supports it, I think you would still have to rebult PS to acess it. I could be wring since I don't know Mac OS.

Just my $.02
I was thinking more along the lines of running about 40 applications at the same time. :D

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
SkaredShtles said:
I was thinking more along the lines of running about 40 applications at the same time. :D
eh, I've got 9 programs going right now including OS X and it's running fine on my eMac with 640 megs. Given I'm not running anything like PS, but I'm thinking something like 80 before it pops a sweat. That is one sweet machine that will sound like a jet engine mounted on you desk.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
My 3 year-old eMac starts sweating if I've got too many apps open, but then again I like push the 'ol boy a bit too hard sometimes.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
macko said:
My 3 year-old eMac starts sweating if I've got too many apps open, but then again I like push the 'ol boy a bit too hard sometimes.
I feel ya, bro. Damn good computer; solid as hell. Sure I can't run Doom 3, but I don't have the time. It'll last me another 4 years at least.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
merrrrjig said:
4 gigs of RAM max is all you need! I want a max computer so bad! Those little mini macs are even above my price range :(
I disagree. Currently on my desktop PC (with 4gbs of ram) I have Photoshop CS2, Image ready CS2, Illustrator CS2, indesign CS2, C1 pro and a a few other things running (word, outlook, messaging clients , firefox etc).

It is beginning to choke and C1 isn't currently doing anything. When i crank up C1 and it starts to output 38mb Tiff files, i need to start to close things down. (At the very least close down firefox with 4-5 tabs open).

And yes for those who ask, this is my usual MO. Processing photos while working on web crap while it runs along in the BG.

On my powerbook (1.67 with 2gb of ram) I can start to choke it at C1 pro and photoshop cs2 along with adium running.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
kinghami3 said:
eh, I've got 9 programs going right now including OS X and it's running fine on my eMac with 640 megs. Given I'm not running anything like PS, but I'm thinking something like 80 before it pops a sweat. That is one sweet machine that will sound like a jet engine mounted on you desk.

read above ^^^^^

C1 pro would kill that computer on it's own.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Transcend said:
read above ^^^^^

C1 pro would kill that computer on it's own.
I have no doubt of that. If I had wanted to do graphics I wouldn't have gotten an eMac.; all I do is write papers, use Adium, and surf the web, and listen to iTunes, and for that it is excellent. And still when I want to use GIMP, it can hold it's own, though I've been bogging it down with about 40 gigs of random UNIX apps and crap, so I'm in the process of cleaning it out.
I meant 80 programs before a PowerMac Quad with 16 gb of ram breaks a sweat. Speculative and off the top of my head, but what's life without speculation? We'd have nothing to argue about.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
kinghami3 said:
I have no doubt of that. If I had wanted to do graphics I wouldn't have gotten an eMac.; all I do is write papers, use Adium, and surf the web, and listen to iTunes, and for that it is excellent. And still when I want to use GIMP, it can hold it's own, though I've been bogging it down with about 40 gigs of random UNIX apps and crap, so I'm in the process of cleaning it out.
I meant 80 programs before a PowerMac Quad with 16 gb of ram breaks a sweat. Speculative and off the top of my head, but what's life without speculation? We'd have nothing to argue about.
Gotcha..well throw in some nice mem hugry apps and you could probably do it in about 15 or so max..especially with larger images. processing big images gets my powerbook down.
ha

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
What is C1?

I am currently enjoying my Powerbook G4, which they also updated today. I'm playing Doom 3 on it, which they say can't be done :D

And yes, Apple is historically known for raping people, especially on RAM

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BigMike said:
What is C1?

I am currently enjoying my Powerbook G4, which they also updated today. I'm playing Doom 3 on it, which they say can't be done :D

And yes, Apple is historically known for raping people, especially on RAM
Apple ram prices are absurd, i would have to agree. love crucial.

I am upset about the PB updates, mine is 30 days old. I could have saved $140 AND got a free superdrive, and better video card. Oh well, such is technology.

C1 is a raw photo processing suite by phaseone.com It is the standard for digital darkroom type applications.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Transcend said:
Apple ram prices are absurd, i would have to agree. love crucial.

I am upset about the PB updates, mine is 30 days old. I could have saved $140 AND got a free superdrive, and better video card. Oh well, such is technology.

C1 is a raw photo processing suite by phaseone.com It is the standard for digital darkroom type applications.

Yeah, mine is like 45 days old.... I feel you.

I want me a copy of this C1 program.... sounds good to me!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BigMike said:
Just for fun, I built oen on the 'net, quad core G5, 16GB ram, 1TB Hard drive, 2 30" monitors, and all the other goodies, and it only came to $23,469 :eek:
Isn't that a lot more processing power than what's currently in the space shuttle?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
i wish I could afford one of these new g5's. my dual g4 is fast but i cant even begin to imagine what these g5's can do.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
LordOpie said:
Isn't that a lot more processing power than what's currently in the space shuttle?
Yes. Nasa runs around trying to find sourcing for obsolete processors for the shuttles as they are no longer in production and growing scarce.

I believe the shuttles just recently got all glass cockpits (multi function LCS displays instead of guages).

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Tenchiro said:
That my friend is the one thing you can always count on Apple for. I worked for them for a few years back in the mid 90's and can assure you that they do their damndest to mark up stuff as much as they can get away with.

At the time, if you needed to replace a motherboard on any PC it would run you about $1000. Need a new display for your laptop? $1000. :rolleyes:

It gives their users the sense that they are in an exlusive club. :monkey:
Seems that there are a few bike companies that could replace "Apple" and the description would still fit... :devil: :p

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Transcend said:
I disagree. Currently on my desktop PC (with 4gbs of ram) I have Photoshop CS2, Image ready CS2, Illustrator CS2, indesign CS2, C1 pro and a a few other things running (word, outlook, messaging clients , firefox etc).<snip>
I rest my case.

The rest of you are lightweights. ;)