Quantcast

NEW! Magura MX SHOCK !!

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
I did a search and look checked my RM updates I see no thread on this so maybe Im in with the scoop!

NEW! Magura MX SHOCK !!

Sneak preview: The revolutionnary MX rearshock...
State-of-art automotive technology gets access to the bike biz with the new MAGURA MX air rearshock!
The relevant advantages of this new technology are ultimate plushness, easy set-up, no-maintenance and low weight.

* The superb plushness is achieved by minimum friction of seals in the rear shock. All dynamic seals are self lubricating (Teflon). The rubber below does not create friction on surfaces, as it “rolls” like a wheel, i.e. flapping over. Due to the big air volume, about three times more than conventional air shocks and the big radiating surface, temperature problems on damping and suspension are almost non existent. Oil/air rear shocks show a much bigger effect on temperature.

* The setup is mainly done by air pressure for adjusting the correct sag. Once the air pressure is correct, the rebound is adjusted in the known way. That was it! If you ride with additional weight (e.g. big back pack) only pump up the rear shock. Damping is adjusted automatically because the air is acting also as damping fluid. By changing the pressure, the viscosity of the air is also changed, as air is compressible. Super easy!

* The MX rear shock will be the new benchmark also maintenance wise, as it is litterally maintenance free! The used technology seals the system, there are no friction surfaces where dirt can get in or air out. All internal contact surfaces are self lubricating. Air as suspension and damping fluid does not wear. What shall be maintained or serviced?

* Weight will be clearly below 200g for the MX 165!
Above is from the Magura website

My own observations and wonderings re the Millyard DH bike in Dirt Magazin 07 and Feb 08..
Interesing I wonder if this is a collaberation between the Millyard DH bike shock or something Magura have jumped on?

Chur..

Last edited:

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Um surprised that so far there is surprise is this not bike not known about too much.

Millyard info
Well this bike was built by a very interesting guy in the UK, the shock uses tank tech [yep Tank as in M1 Lepoard or battle tank shock technology] Im not sure if this is what Magura have tapped into, but its very interesting, could be the next leap or maybe nothing very interesting though!

Ahh I see doing a google there were some threads on the below bike from Millyard

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
I dont see any similarities between the millyard shock and the magura?? The millyard is more like a conventional air shock. with seals etc. the air bag setup is more like a prime mover trailer setup, a rolling bag. bring on the lowrider dh bikes.:D

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Magura shock was posted on RM a few months ago by a German user but anyhow still seems interesting. Magura's shock is for XC applications and doesn't come in longer strokes AFAIK.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Downside - no that is what I will call an advantage:

As for downsides, the only obvious one we can come up with at the moment is that there is currently no provision for pedaling platform. This means the MX is probably best suited for suspension designs that don't rely on shock valving to combat pedal bob and squat. Otherwise, it's certainly an intriguing concept.

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
I´m curious if the MAGURA suspension people will broaden the range of MX sizes as well as the application range of MX e.g. for FR/DH use too.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
so how's this use of air as the damping fluid any different than the cane creek XC air shocks that have been around for a decade?

(and which had limited damping capability)

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I didnt' read the article, just looked at the picture, but I though it was something similar to the dune buggy I posted up: Normal shock sprung by airbags- which would have an awesome benefit of not having to worry about blowing up your air spring seals anymore.

Am I wrong?

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
Airbags in suspension are pretty reliable and very common in automotive applications. Regardless, it's only a different kind of spring and has not much to do with the feeling of the shock.

Intriguing though to see Magura (aka expensive high-tech stuff) use such low-tech, inexpensive technology for bikes.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
My bad for regurgitating old news, I was looking on Magura's site, normally the rep keeps me pretty up to date so I did a quick search found nothing here or on mtbr, apologies!

Still its using the name MX not XC so now its applcation maybe XC today who knows tomorrow, on there website they state its a preview and the bike in the vid looked a bit more than XC to me maybe 5inches but hard to tell, anyways it got interesting applications I thought it was worth posting and seeing where this goes.

I posted the Millyard info in part if it was not a callabortaion, but also to highlight that different thoughts are in motion which is good to see and could show that this may show bigger things in the future, good to be open to ideas and possibilites, well thats my take on it anyway.

No probs will keep following with interest, Im sure with a title like MX its got bigger applcations in the future knowing Magura!

Chur.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Magura susp is to much into XC. A company that made the gustav breake should know their place in shocks world ;) An air shock from then in 9.5x3 would be really sth(especialy when I'm on the frame that's restricted to air shocks according to the producer)