Quantcast

New Manitou Dorado?

303flyer

Chimp
Dec 31, 2008
Anyone have the new manitou dorado up for grabs? My buddy wants one and is willing to buy one of someone.

Reply or let me know on here but I also aware you can get em off the website or something, iI dont even know thats why Im asking:imstupid:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As of right now, I'm almost positive the only people who have them are on Manitou sponsored teams. From what I've heard, they wouldn't be at all eager to part with them (and that's not considering contractual obligations for using a pre-production fork).

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Call The Hayes Group at 888-686-3472 and ask for David Lee. He maybe able to help find a way for your friend to buy one. Understand it will cost him a few $$ and will be close to Retail it not Retail cost. As for used ones, good luck as its a Fork that anyone owns will never depart with anytime soon.

Good luck.

Cecil :cheers:

ride4fun

Monkey
May 23, 2008
Long Island
If he has no luck on getting one, would he consider an Avalanche fork? they are probably just as smooth and just an overall excellent fork!

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Are they really as good as people are saying? Been one of the lucky ones with my 05's. Love em' to death, but a small crack has me looking for a new fork. With BoXXers being as late as June...maybe the Dorado is a better choice.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
They are at least as good as a dorado if not better. But i have never seen a 09 doado:busted:. I think that it is around 8lbs for the lighter avalanche one.
I am glad someone here can look at forks on the Web, never spend time on it or play with one in person, and then be able to tell just how good it is compared to other forks.....:crazy:

Understand the Dorado was developed to compete with the Fox 40RC4 and RS Boxxer WC Black Box forks. Those are forks that 95% of the DH population can't get. Manitou saw there was a market for High End Race Forks and have made the Dorado available to those that want to buy one.

After just 2 days on the new Dorado I can say one thing..... "I now understand how the Top Pros are able to go so fast and hold on to their bikes at such high speeds...." I am not saying in any way by owning a Dorado you can go out and beat Sam Hill. Just saying that the fork works better than anything I have used in the past.... Foes F1, Many different Years of Boxxers, 07 and 09 Fox 40RC2s, M Shivers, and past Dorados.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Are they really as good as people are saying? Been one of the lucky ones with my 05's. Love em' to death, but a small crack has me looking for a new fork. With BoXXers being as late as June...maybe the Dorado is a better choice.
If you like your 05 so much then call up David Lee at the Hayes Group and see what he can do for you about getting it fixed. Not saying they can or can't. I would just try. They are willing to take care of those on their product.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Understand the Dorado was developed to compete with the Fox 40RC4 and RS Boxxer WC Black Box forks. Those are forks that 95% of the DH population can't get. Manitou saw there was a market for High End Race Forks and have made the Dorado available to those that want to buy one.
The who in the what now??? I thought the RC4 was the team issue rear shock, or is the 40rc4 something well kept under wraps, or did i just miss the boat?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I am glad someone here can look at forks on the Web, never spend time on it or play with one in person, and then be able to tell just how good it is compared to other forks.....:crazy:

After just 2 days on the new Dorado I can say one thing..... "I now understand how the Top Pros are able to go so fast and hold on to their bikes at such high speeds...." I am not saying in any way by owning a Dorado you can go out and beat Sam Hill. Just saying that the fork works better than anything I have used in the past.... Foes F1, Many different Years of Boxxers, 07 and 09 Fox 40RC2s, M Shivers, and past Dorados.
Not to rain on your parade, but you are also comparing the Dorado to forks pre-09 model year. Have you ridden the new Boxxer WC, a BOS or a tuned Boxxer in comparison?
Not saying the new Dorado won't be an awesome fork.....

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The who in the what now??? I thought the RC4 was the team issue rear shock, or is the 40rc4 something well kept under wraps, or did i just miss the boat?
RC4 is just their next gen of valving. only team issue now but should come to consumers just like RC2 etc did.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
i have been riding a dorado for a month of solid riding and it has been great so. its definitely the best fork ive ever ridin. i have let a lot of other riders at the local fontana race test it and they are wowed by the fork also. just because it says manitou on it doesnt mean its junk. get out there and try one before you talk bad about it. the hayes group has done a lot of homework and its really paying off.

o and to answer your question no i wont be giving my dorado up :)

dennis

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
When the travis was really "the value" fork, everybody was bithcing about "why is so cheap?"
Now the dorado is "why is so expensive"

I feel sorry for the good guys at manitou, Dh peolpe are histeric pu..ys

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
are they going to do more homework to get that $2700 price tag down?
They are looking to make a Lower-End Dorado for 2010. It's just talk right now and will not be the High End Race Fork they have now. They still will offer the High End version as well. Don't think you will see the price tag come down on the Race Fork any time soon.............

Cecil

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
the boxxer wc is pretty close to that price retail in canada from what i saw yesterday.....
2008 boxxer is $1500
2010 boxxer wc msrp suggested $1700
Fox 40 $1600
Special WC Fox 40 $1800

In my mind I was thinking the Manitou Dorado needs to be more of the Hyundai Genesis of world cup forks.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
2008 boxxer is $1500
2010 boxxer wc msrp suggested $1700
Fox 40 $1600
Special WC Fox 40 $1800

In my mind I was thinking the Manitou Dorado needs to be more of the Hyundai Genesis of world cup forks.
You have it all wrong and you will not ever know what I am saying till you ride a New Dorado.... When I see you next I will be glad to let you take it for a run.

Their lower end Dorado may fall along in those price ranges (I really don't know at this time.), but the High End Race fork is worth what they are asking for it. Think of it this way. It is the Cane Creek DB of the Forks out there right now. I know of Top level racers that have picked this fork over the New 2010 Boxxer WC. Now if you're willing to spend double the $$ on a Cane Creek DB over say a Fox DHX 5.0 or RS Vivid 5.1, why would you not be willing to spend double the amount on a Fork that is just as good as a Cane Creek DB in the Fork World?

Cecil

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I must say my two weeks with my new young mistress has been the most buttery smoothest Fork Sex Available!!!

I think that price is a matter of value! In other words, people will justify the cost if it's worth the price.
So far my impression- The fork is living up to the hype!

My Last Fork was a Fox 40 and before that a Manitou Travis. The New Durado is an equal jump between
My prior two forks!
I would say The Durado is more like a Ferrari than a Hyunda
The Durado is as stiff as the Fox but tracks even better! Just as burly a bump eater at a half a pound lighter which is noticeable and nice having a front end you can pick up and move if needed.
So far the fork has eaten rockgardens like Oreo's and I was hitting the local DirtJump Lines on my Dh bike and the fork jumps great as well.
Sooooooooo much adjustment to handle any style riding on any terrain!

If the fork gains the reputation of the best fork available?? People will pay what it cost to ride the best!

Last edited:

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
ANd to think that people were jaw dropping when they found out the price of Bos forks.
If you were gonna spend the money i would spend the money on the bos fork.
Now i haven't ridden the dorado and do not take anything away from it.
I have ridden however with bos forks and know how reliable and how well they track!

nicho

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I was one of the first guys to jump on the CCDB and after 4 seasons using the DB I have not looked back. It was a great choice to try something new with 100% no reputation.

If I had the cash I think I would buy the dorado even with all the bad talk I have done about manipoo in the past.

Last edited:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
eh, but the ccdb was built in a partnership with cane creek and ohlins. Both quality companies, excellent support but like you said, little experience in the gravity riding department.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
rebound, compression, ridemonkey/mtbr/pinkbike forum setting, autorant adjustment, % improvement over every other fork out there
:clapping:

Don't forget pretty colors!

Actually I really like manitou, I love my evolver, so I'm really interested to see how this thing rides. Stoked they're making something thats getting good press though, they need it and its been awhile coming with their revox/evolver shocks.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I rather swallow a sheep then spend 2400Euro's on a fork.
Do sheep taste like humans as well????

I don't think that Manitou needs to sell a good product at a cheaper price than their competitors to fix their rep.
Just needs to be dependable without a bunch of maintenance! I already know it is one of the best
if not the best fork this year performance wise. We will see how she holds up!
On that note the fork does come with an excellent warranty plan.
So Manitou is trying to make sure they back this product up with good customer Service.
Which I have never had problems with before on the customer service end.
I will admit some of their products in the past were sub-par.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
On that note the fork does come with an excellent warranty plan.
So Manitou is trying to make sure they back this product up with good customer Service.
Which I have never had problems with before on the customer service end.
I will admit some of their products in the past were sub-par.
correct, the fork comes with a 2 year maintenance program. you send the fork in every 6 months to get rebuilt and tuned up. so 4 free rebuilds, and im sure they will still take care of the dorado after the 2 years is up.

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
rebound, compression, ridemonkey/mtbr/pinkbike forum setting, autorant adjustment, % improvement over every other fork out there...

you know, the usual with a new fork or shock. :wait:
Not mention it boost your post count by about 2000 instantly making you a non-noob by virtue of owning this fork(forks, forkz, forx, forq, or however you want to speel it)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
correct, the fork comes with a 2 year maintenance program. you send the fork in every 6 months to get rebuilt and tuned up. so 4 free rebuilds, and im sure they will still take care of the dorado after the 2 years is up.
do they tune it for your weight before they ship it to you? or is there enough adjustment that it isn't necessary?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Damn, they should just increase the price a bit and give you a mechanic with the fork. If the fork requires rebuilds that frequently or can't be worked on by anyone, it's engineered like crap.

Kingswood

Chimp
Feb 27, 2005

You dont think the cost of the 4 rebuilds is built into the purchase price?

sexy....sexy fork, but it seems like they are releasing a high maintenance fork and charging the rider to keep it going, rather than releasing a reliable product that doesn't need constant rebuilding.

Having time off the bike every 6 months while your fork gets sent away sounds like a **** idea.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
$4330 Australian? Fecken hell...

I've ridden the fork briefly and it was certainly nice, but for that kinda dosh I can get two Boxxer WCs. Really wish I'd had a chance to take that test ride for a proper DH run or 3 now. Must have something pretty special going on if they're expecting to get away with a price like that.