Quantcast

new member and new to mountain biking

full_circle

Chimp
May 6, 2008
so i just got this bike from a friend who wanted a dual and gave me his old hard tail

as you can see its a kona cinder cone. i was just wondering what kinda shoes to buy and any problems i may have with this bike stuff like that. i am about the same height and build as my friend so the frame should fit me fine.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
whoa! got that for free?!

nice ride, you'll enjoy it!

looks like SPD pedals so any shoe... as long as it fits your foot well.

full_circle

Chimp
May 6, 2008
yes i got it for free. i cant wait to get it on some trails. umm about the learning curve on clip ins ive never worn them before should i install some regular pedals first? then go back to the clip ins?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You can get a "regular pedal" that clips into one side of your existing pedal, so you can have clip-in on one side and platform on the other. When ready, you can remove it and have clip-in on both sides.

As for learning curve, practice leaning against the wall in your house. If the pedal feels tight, you can loosen it; HOWEVER, if you loosen it too much, it'll permanently break, so maybe pay a shop to help you?

Kona makes really good stuff, you've got good components, so that bike will last a long time.

You have a good friend. Buy him a 12-pack of really good beer as a thanks. Unless y'all are under 21, then something else :)

full_circle

Chimp
May 6, 2008
Get shoes and clips, spend a little time being confused (you'll unexpectedly fall over a couple of times, wear a helmet) and move forward. Don't dump a load of money on your first pair of shoes, stay under $100-.
i wasnt planing on spending alot for my first pair. and lord opie im 21 and hes 22 he is a commercial diver and i build race cars so we rarely get to see each other anymore. but ill be sure to take your advice and buy him some beer. he'd prob rather have whiskey we polished off the last of my woodford reserve last time he was down so maybe ill get him his own bottle

shamrock

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Hoboken, NJ

full_circle

Chimp
May 6, 2008
thanks ill consider both of those until i get good enough for the clipless pedals. what about the rust on the pedal some1 recommended getting new spd's if i decided to just go ball deep and ride with the clipless pedals to get new ones cuz those might not release everytime like they should cuz there rusty

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
eh, simple green + hard brush to the pedals, rinse, chain lube on pedals... go from there.

don't spend money until you know you need to replace... so you can start saving for the road bike :D