Quantcast

New Morewood Rigs

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I ride the Morewood Izimu (DH) bike, and can say it's the best bike i have ever ridden for DH.....

Morewood is releasing an All Mountain and an XC specific bike later this year....

All Mountain
Kalula

XC
Zula

I'm sort of disappointed that i don't see a Single Speed (With Hori. Dropouts) Dirt jumper/street bike from Morewood... but that ALL Mountain looks liek a MINI Makulu....

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Kalula is their Freeride / Park oriented bike... looks like buckets of fun! They do sell a hardtail (but it's not horiz dropout).

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
That Kalula is not an all mountain bike, it just looks like one in that pic.;)
Its actually a Dh bike, but with 180mm of travel. It has a 3 inch stroke shock, 150 rear end, 83mm bb, 65 degree HA with a Boxxer, and the large has a 46 inch wheelbase. I am betting it would make for a pinner DH rig for most of the courses I race on.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Yeah... i just read the recomended fork is a 180/200.... so yes it's a freeride bike... an awesome one at that....

i would have dev. love to see and BUY a Single Speed (hori. Dropouts) DJ specific frame from morewood... hopefully soon....

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Best feeling bike ever is the Kalula. One of the guy's I'm training with a bit has one right now with a 40 and RC4 setup. Super light and feels amazing. He said it's literally the best feeling bike he's ever ridden. It feels like it can soak up anything yet is still light enough to EASILY manuver around/jump over anything!

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

And their hard tail xc machine, the Kwela. Morewood are impressing me more and more each year, and i didnt think you could find a bigger fanboy. For a company that does all its work in house in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa who works out of a relatively tiny factory with 3 welders and 2 designers, they really punching out the bikes. Over the last 2 years they've launched a new flagship dh sled(the Makulu), a dh/freeride/park bike(the Kalula), a ss bike(the Zuza), a jump bike(the Enza), a marathon/xc fs (the Zula) and a xc hard tail (the Kwela) with more than one new proto in the works, i'd say they doing really really well. Thats 6 completely new frames in 2 years, wow.

Talking about all mountain, keep your eyes peeled for a new all mountain bike over the next few months.;)

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That blue one was one of the coolest bikes I checked out at Interbike....but DAMN is it expensive...

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I think I'm getting obsessed with Morewood bikes.
Now that my Mbuzi is done and sitting nicely next to my Makulu... I can't help but want the Kalula and Ndiza :(

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Love how the Kalula is basically a mini-maluka(sp?), but the grfx on the headtube/headtube junction are pretty half-assed.. would look way better polished like the Malakua

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
The main reason i did not get a Makulu was because that is a straight up Race bike... since i'm no racer, no way near that, i opted for a newer version of the Izimu and yes in white.... :-)

The Kalula is an awesome rig as well.... they are shipping in Mid to late December... email Richard B. (rbeytagh@morewoodbikes.com) with any questions you have.....

Considering the price of some of the more expensive free-ride bikes in the market, i think the Kalula is less expensive and a better choice.... I will not disclose the price because i'm not at liberty to do so... but please email Richard at the above address and inquire....