Quantcast

New Mountain Biker

Big Air

Chimp
Jun 19, 2009
Im 5"7 120lbs and want a good bike to get speed and jump but also strong enough to take Georgia's hills. I live not 1 mile from an offroad trail i can make jumps and could build jumps in my backyard. Whats a good bike up to $400?

pbwrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2009
Clemson, SC
It definitely depends on what kind of riding you'll be doing. If you want a bike that'll be reasonably well-equipped for trail riding but that you can also hit some jumps on, you'll most likely have to spend a bit more. If you're looking for a bike just for jumping, look for something basic - i.e. a tough single-speed bike.

Definitely look at the DMR Drone. It's available with 26" or 24" wheels, is basic and tough, and won't hurt the wallet too much. Keep in mind, though, that this one is pretty much only for jumping.

The following are probably also worth checking out:
-Gary Fisher Opie
-Giant STP SS
-Cove Sanchez
-Jamiz Komodo 1
-Scott Voltage

As always: there are some good deals on used stuff, but in the price range you're looking at, 90% of the used bikes you find will be ragged out. People don't fix bikes to sell 'em unless they're gonna get a pretty penny for them.

Hope this helps.

Big Air

Chimp
Jun 19, 2009
thanks bro ill check em out. Would a single speed bike do well on decent sized hills or will i wind up killing myself?

pbwrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2009
Clemson, SC
It'll be tough, but it's possible. The main issue will probably be weight, since any bike built for jumping and such is gonna be heavy.

The Trail X-3 from Jamis ($540) and the P.1 A.M. from Specialized ($590) are probably the best do-it-all bikes for trail riding and jumping. Anything much cheaper than these won't do both very well.

Big Air

Chimp
Jun 19, 2009
what about a cannondale m300? got a great deal on a decent used one. If its not a good jumper ill go easy on it

pbwrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2009
Clemson, SC
the M300 is a solid bike. I have a cannondale xc bike that i've ridden for years and years. Your M300 isn't necessarily built for jumping, but you've got a solid frame and fork, and double-wall rims. These are most important as far as durability goes. If you're riding it hard, you might find yourself upgrading a couple of parts, but overall good buy.