Quantcast

New Nicolai UFO ST Done!

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Well, after a bit of tinkering I think the Nicolai is pretty darn close to finished. Last bug to work out is which chain guide to use and how to set it up…more later.

Before I get too far ahead of myself, I need to thank Toni over at www.Blacksheepcycles.com for all the help and great discussions when choosing this new rig. We discussed many options over email until I was sure his head would explode. Toni was a huge help through all the outrageous questions I sent him, always calm and happy to discuss bikes. Great fellow and shop to deal with! Highest recommendations :clapping:

To start, if you have never seen a nicolai in person you need to find one and check it out! They are a work of art and German precision to the max. The first time I saw one I was blown away. The first pic below shows some of that precision in the huge fish scale welds…perfectly spaced and molded together. Nicolai claims the welds are much stronger and provide a stronger contact point, ie this puppy ain’t gonna break at the seams!

This particular model is one of Nicolais newer frames coming out last year. It is intended to be a more economical model from this company while still maintaining the high Nicolai quality. Frame with shock retails for about $2200. Each frame comes with a 5 year warranty under race conditions. A 10 year crash replacement warranty follows that. Not to mention the warranty follows the bike not the owner!

The UFO ST was built as a bike that everyone could ride and ride hard in any condition. It was used in the ContiCup DH races in Germany (see www.Nicolai.net). Basically this is a race where everyone rides the same bike (UFO ST) on the same course. This way riders could be tested not the technology. The UFO ST also turned out to be a great bike for mountain parks and rough and tumble trails due in part to its tight geo and handling.

The geo is shown below as an attachment. Several things not mentioned on the chart: 1) Shock length (8.75” X 2.25”) is recommended but with an air shock and 8.75 X 2.5 can be used to yield a lower leverage ratio and slightly less travel (~6”-7.3”), 2) 66 deg. HA is with a 7” fork (frame accepts any size fork dual or single!). For me, this is perfect as I was looking for something similar to the Transition BR but with a bit more travel (I’m a hack!).

Anyway, I will wrap it up with a parts list and some pics as I have only had a few rides on this puppy! Hope you enjoy and feel free to ask any questions or give any comments!

2007 Nicolai UFO ST medium frame: Black anno
2007 Fox DHX air 5
2007 Marzocchi 66sl ata
FSA orbit extreme pro R headset
Danger boy 45mm stem
FSA 31.8 DH bar
ODI lock-ons
Hayes nine brakes (8” rotors)
SRAM X-9 der and shifter (rear only)
Blue Hadley hubs (20mm F; 12mm 135R)
Mavic 729 rims with DB spokes
Maxxis AdVantage rubber (2.35)
Maxle rear axle (rock shox)
FSA DH BB
Truvativ cranks (170mm)
Hope seat collar
SDG I beam post and FX saddle
Cheap clip-in shimano pedals
SRAM cassette and chain
E13 Bash…hopefully DRS and SRS soon!

Weight: ~36.5lbs

Attachments

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
good call!
I even asked the LBS guys to check it out to make sure I didn't do something stupid...we both missed that one.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Jason, nice ride bro!

I've been out of the loop for a bit, but now that I'm back I just wanted you to know that your 07' Demo 8 frame should be coming in from the factory soon. I'll let you know as soon as it comes in.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Looks really good man, but i daresay your weight is significantly off. Mine is a gnats d!ck under 40 pounds and i'm using lighter parts than you. Anyway, i'm curious to know what your actual bb height is?

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Yeah the weight was a little off :)
I used the bathroom scale and it is tough to be right on.
However it does weigh in at 38lbs according to the shop scale!
Not too bad i guess.

The BB height when the fork is up is 14" unsagged. Runs about 13.5
in the lower fork setting. So I guess something like 13.5 and 13 sagged out? Just a guess though...haven't actually measured this yet.

The BB height actually feels pretty damn good. I thought it was going to be too low, but it works out good and makes for some damn fast cornering and a super fun ride!!

Daver, you still likin' yours? I would really like to try a longer stroke shock with a slightly bigger fork some day. For now though the way I have it is pretty good for me and wintery conditions.

B

Daver...I rechecked the BB numbers.
Was off by .5 inches.
High BB= 13.4
low BB= 12.9

sorry for the confusion.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I'm really enjoying mine at the moment- my only gripes are the low bb (mine is 13.5 in the highest setting- so my bashring cops it a lot) and the tall seattube on the Large size frame (I would have preffered the height of a medium but the length of a large. I would like to see a version with 150mm rear spacing (and 83mm bb), but otherwise i can't complain. Even the geometry is impressive- the low bb makes it ride more like a DH bike at higher speeds, but its still easy to ride in the tighter stuff.

I wish that i had ordered mine with the rear maxle QR as the stock bolt up axle seems under engineered compared to the rest of the frame. The ISCG setup is quite impressive too- theres a lot of room for adjustment so its pretty easy to setup.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
DAver, you feelin some flex from the rear? What are your thoughts on what the 150 rear with 83 BB would do?

I agree on the ISCG...though I still need to muck around to get my E13 SRS to fit right :(

B

teeter

Chimp
Dec 26, 2006
i love the way that frame feels...i use to ride with toni before he moved to salt lake and he was nice enough to let me ride his...i was eyeballin yours at the shop(BSC):pirate2:

springfish

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Hood River, Oregon
SICK SICK SICK! Ever since I sold my UFO DS I've been eye-ballin' the ST version. Gawd DAMN! Love the frame color choice too. Simple and bad-ass. Have you given any thought to converting over to the Rohloff rear hub?

A dude on this board used to have a UFO DS built up with one…seemed like a nice upgrade.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
hahaha teeter, you spying on my frame :) Nice!!!
Yeah Toni really is a great guy, super nice and really fun to talk to about bikes.
I really love the BSC tee they gave me..."Cycel shop and Social Club"
Awesome!!!

SF: Thanks man :) You should def look into the st version. I intensionally set mine up pretty close to as light as I could. WAnted to see how it would do on Long XC type rides and my local trails. This rig is pretty overkill for it but there are some super jumps going in on these trails.
I was hoping I could get the bike to the right geo so I could pedal it anywhere and do anything. Also, I like the idea of having a bike that I will ride all the time...get used to it alone and not used to a couple for different purposes. That way I feel like I can give it more attention and really start to push myself forward as far as skills go (ie...I'm not that good :) ) This bike is super sweet for the stuff I have done so far, it has great geo (read adjustable) for many types of riding and will be good for a long time in working me over.

Simple...that is what I wanted. Never mind the bike just go ride and have fun!

I might give the Rohloff hub a thought after a bit. I need to think about new brakes first

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
from the grave!

any word on running a 9.5X3.0 shock on it? thinking about a roco air. the downtube shuttle looks like it could handle the the extra body length, but the extra stroke may be an issue.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
from the grave!

any word on running a 9.5X3.0 shock on it? thinking about a roco air. the downtube shuttle looks like it could handle the the extra body length, but the extra stroke may be an issue.
since i was the second owner of the bike above i think maybe i can help.

I think the biggest concern will be that the chainstays are crazy short. i think they are 16.7 if i remember right. I never had any issues with the tire hitting the seat tube but it did come close.

So you may be able to run it but in the lower travel settings but with that then what would be the point?

another thing is why would you need more than 7.7 inches rear travel? the bike is a fun nimble freeride bike. I think it felt best in the 7.1 travel setting

best bet though is email nicolai directly if you really want to do it. They would be the ones who would know.

and to answer the most basic part, yes with the shuttle it would fit in there with no problems.