Quantcast

new non-profit cycling advocate org

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Dave Zabriskie said:
This offseason, I started Yield to Life, a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting and promoting cycling. Motorists in America often seem to summarily dismiss cyclists out of hand as mere nuisances and inconveniences, deserving of neither time nor space. My purpose in starting Yield to Life is to personalize and humanize the issue of cyclists' rights with respect to road use — and to couple this sensitivity and awareness with education campaigns targeting both motorists and cyclists, young and old.

read Dave's daily TdC blog at usatoday
Pretty cool! I hope they do a fair amount of education to the public with regards to recreational and utility/commute cycling. As opposed to too much focus on 'racers'.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
that's gonna take a lot of effort in this country. it would be nice to have our own lane but few cities offer them and i think that when they do, they don't educate the public about them and the basic rules. i was in London a few years back and it was nice to see the bike lanes there, being used correctly and not being abused by motorists. for it to be successful here in the states, better education is needed for all, including cyclists. there have been plenty of times when i run into people ridding against traffic! it's either they spend money on bike lanes or on rails to trails projects.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
that's gonna take a lot of effort in this country. it would be nice to have our own lane but few cities offer them and i think that when they do, they don't educate the public about them and the basic rules. i was in London a few years back and it was nice to see the bike lanes there, being used correctly and not being abused by motorists. for it to be successful here in the states, better education is needed for all, including cyclists. there have been plenty of times when i run into people ridding against traffic! it's either they spend money on bike lanes or on rails to trails projects.
I agree, better education on both sides would be the best solution. A lot of cyclist get hit by riding aggressively and breaking the traffic laws.

<edit> On a side note there have been a bunch of people hit in the Portland, Oregon area in the last year. One of the guys I raced cyclocross with was hit and killed by a garbage truck, and the driver wasn't cited even though he turned in front of the cyclist (there were side by side)